Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tortilla Espanola (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tortilla-espanola-725521/)

Aduchamp1 Aug 1st, 2007 08:39 AM

Tortilla Espanola

What is favorite tortilla espanola recipe? I have only made it once and have to perfect the flipping of the tortilla. My father-in-law who was Gallego used to slice an apple into it.

mcguire Aug 1st, 2007 08:58 AM

I use a knife to cut it--using an apple sounds interesting.
I never really go by a recipe anymore--
Just add some leftover, sliced roasted potatoes and, onions, maybe to some beaten eggs. Then, I put into a non-stick skillet with a bit of olive oil.
Using a spatula, I lift the edges so the uncooked egg can run under the edges and become cooked. When it is pretty well set along the edges, but not fully cooked on top, I put it into a 375 degree oven until set. then, I either use towels, potholders, etc. and very carefully invert a plate over it and, voila, the tortilla flips right out, or else, I use a large spatula(s) and lift it out... I just use a knife to slice it.

josele Aug 1st, 2007 09:00 AM

I'll ask my wife to prepare a recipe. It is basically egg and potato, never heard of adding apple. Usually is added onion and/or green pepper. Flipping is the catch. There are special double pans for unskilled. I should post on YouTube...

fall06 Aug 1st, 2007 09:08 AM

I think if you beat the eggs enough and put in enough oiive oil, your tortilla should puff up enough to easily slide onto a plate, and use that to flip it. It's best to use a smaller frying pay -- say 7 inches or less? Then use an ordinary dinner plate to cover it, if you wish, and flip it that way.

But make sure you are cooking in slowly enough and long enough to give the top a little dryness. It should hold its shape for the flip.

Putting an apple in it sounds wonderful. In Northern Spain, the varieties of tortillas are fantastic, and sometimes they come layered, like cakes, with three different fillings.

Aduchamp1 Aug 1st, 2007 09:16 AM

Thanks,

We live in NYC and there is a tapas place near us that makes three different tortillas-traditional, with chorizo, and another with cheese.

If you are in New York here are favorite tapas places

Xunta-has the feel of a genuine tasca with great selection. One of favorites is dates wrapped in bacon. It is too genuine many of the seats are at barrells, which after a certain age loses it charm,

Bar Carrera-based on a sleek San Sebestian place. Limied menu but everything is well prepared inluding the carmelized pork.

Cafe Mono-Mario Batali's place, expensive, intrepretiative and fussy but interesting.

Bunny1 Aug 1st, 2007 09:22 AM

Our friends from Spain told us earlier this year that there is some special flipper thing that you can get in Spain to make the flipping easier. Our friends love to put roasted red bell peppers and sausage in the patata.

fall06 Aug 1st, 2007 09:37 AM

aduchamp,

have you ever been to the tapas place on 125th and B'way? I think it's called "Floridita" --?

hanl Aug 1st, 2007 09:51 AM

I gently fry a large, sliced onion and a few peeled, sliced potatoes in plenty of olive oil until soft but not brown, using a medium sized frying pan (making sure I have a plate large enough to cover the pan). Then I beat together about six eggs in a large bowl with plenty of salt and pepper. Next, I pour away most of the oil from the frying pan and tip the cooked onions and potatoes into the egg mix. Then pour the whole lot back into the frying pan and let it cook gently over a medium heat.

When the underside and, most importantly, the edges are starting to look cooked, I slide the tortilla onto a large flat plate, invert the frying pan over the plate and then flip the whole thing over so the uncooked side is face down in the pan. Then return it to the heat until just cooked through. (When I'm feeling lazy I just stick the frying pan under the grill to cook the other side). I let it rest for a little while, then serve it cut into squares, just warm or at room temperature. It's great in a sandwich too.

Aduchamp1 Aug 1st, 2007 09:58 AM

No we have not been to the place on 125th and Broadway. We live downtown but we have a good friend who is moving near there and we will put on our list.

Between dim sum and tapas restaurants are falling over themselves to create "samll dishes." Yesterday we passed a spot that offered Moroccan Tapas.

Thanks hanl for the recipe and tips.

ekscrunchy Aug 1st, 2007 01:36 PM

Floridita is a tapas place??

fall06 Aug 1st, 2007 01:43 PM

Floridita at 125th street prominently uses the word "tapas" in its signage, but I think it maybe a Cuban place. I only spotted it a few days ago, driving past it, and I was curious.

The "tapas" place I don't like at all is Andalucia on 9th Ave.

amsdon Aug 1st, 2007 07:24 PM

HI!

You got the recipe down Hanl.
Aduchamp1 the skill of the flipping comes with time. The tips here are right on .As you may know many people put alot of stuff (chorizo peppers etc) in the tortilla which is delicious too, but really the simple potato, onion, egg salt & pepper is just great and my favorite. It is the way my Spanish grandmother (from Zamora) taught me. But the other Cuban half of my family always had tortilla Espanola too. I am not surprised the Floridita Rest may be Cuban. Too bad we have such a shortage of really good places here in the west coast..I am jelous of you New Yorkers.

The flipper device in our home was always a plate, but really can be a lid too. "Universal" lids are cheap and found in many discount places like K Mart. They are degined to fit many size pans are are subsequently less deep, have less of an inner lip so it's smoother on the underside of the lid & easier to flip the tortilla.
The handle makes it so much easier than a plate.
I also have a ceramic tortilla "flipper" I bought in Spain that is decorative. I use that too, though it's pretty heavy. The shallowness of it is good for the flipping.
Never heard of the apple but never say never it may be a Gallego thing.

Here in California when I make it my husband sometimes attempts to put hot sauce on it. He knows that is a big offense to a tortilla cook, usually sends me into a lecture. It totally overpowers and spoils the subtle flavors of the onion & eggs.
But to each their own I guess....

ams

lincasanova Aug 1st, 2007 09:46 PM

the "tortilla española" ONLY will have eggs and potato and perhaps onion. All other tortillas are just THAT.. tortillas ( egg omolettes)and can have anything in them you so desire.

The flipping can be done both wayssmentioned. i find it is important NOT to have the fire very high so the thick omolette cooks through without burning.

now, don´t be alarmed, spaniards, BUT a SPANISH friend who cooks a LOT convinced me to try doing the potatoes and onions with some oil in a covered dish in the microwave.. !! It is so easy, more healthy ( less oil) and FAST.

now i never fry them on the stove.

the worst part of making a tortilla for me is peeling the potatoes/onions. but you need far fewer than you think.

calculating the number of eggs is also tricky. if you don´t put enough, it will not "bond" and fall apart. always better to put one extra if in doubt.

oh.. salt. this is another factor.. but a good tortilla will have salt.. and also be a little moist in the center.

BTW, they are delicious cold, or with garlic mayonaisse or fried peppers in a baguette and they travel well for picnics.

i like to cut mine into small squares and use toothpicks to eat at parties. feeds a small crowd.

enjoy!

josele Aug 1st, 2007 11:47 PM

I agree with lincasanova: Tortilla Española properly is just eggs, potato and a little salt, (and some practice). That's all.
My wife tells me there is no better recipe than watching it done.

kenderina Aug 2nd, 2007 12:52 AM

hahaha, lin !! My mother also does the microwave thing LOL
Of course, tortilla española is the name for the potato omelette. All the other are called "tortilla de queso" (cheese omelette), "tortilla de atun" (tuna omelette) and so on.

Revulgo Aug 2nd, 2007 08:31 AM

Tortilla de patata al estilo de Madrid.

Ingredients for 4 people: 4 medium potatoes, 4 or 5 eggs, 1 medium onion, 0.25 liter of olive oil. Salt.

Preparation
Peel, wash and dry the potatoes.Cut in thin slices and place in a deep pan with olive oil at medium heat so that they cook slowly. Add the finely chopped onion. Fry slowly with the potatoes until they are soft and beginning to brown. It is best to stir using a skimming spoon to cut up the vegetables. After 10 minutes strain off the oil. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt in an earthenware bowl. Add the potato and onion mix. Put the pan back on the heat with a little of the oil and add the egg and potato mix. Cover the pan and leave to cook on a low flame for 5 to 10 minutes until the bottom begins to brown. Turn the omelette upside down using a lid and then put it back in the pan on the other side so that it slowly sets. It should brown on both sides.

Presentation
Serve on a round plate or serving dish, hot or cold. If you want to use it for a picnic or cut it up you should use more potatoes so that it is thicker and easier to carry and cut. In this case, eat cold.

amsdon Aug 2nd, 2007 02:47 PM

Revulgo this is exactly as I used to prepare it for my dear mama. If she had a choice of any dish in the entire word, she preferred that I make her a tortilla Espanola. Such a shame it is not well known where I live at all by most people. Que lastima but so delicious!

amsdon Feb 25th, 2009 07:53 PM

TTT

NEDSIRELAND Feb 26th, 2009 01:50 AM

My Madrileña wife does a great Tortilla but it's me who insists on adding cebolla. Our grown-up daughter still hasn't got all the 'moves' for the 'flip' correct; but she's getting there. Our son-in-law makes a pretty decent Tortilla.

Note that I only use the Tortilla reference when I write about Tortilla Española. As I recall, that's how it is referred to in Madrid.

Any other tortlla is a tortilla de queso, or de chorizo, or a tortilla a la Francesa. When one goes to a taberna in Madrid and orders a ración de Tortilla, Tortilla de patata is understood.

car Feb 26th, 2009 02:02 AM

Tortilla Española is just oil, eggs, potatoes and salt.
Exceptionally onion. It should be said at time of serve.
But please no Micro waves or cheese.