Search

Tapas in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapas in Madrid

We will be going to Spain in mid April and want to try the Tapas in the Madrid area. I have not been to a tapas bar before and I am not sure how best to experience this custom. Also there are shared tapas and I would like to know how this works. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi Harry, we are not experts on Madrid but here goes:

I found the Santa Ana area the easiest to navigate for a 1st timer since it is a big plaza with several easy to spot tapas bars & restaurants that serve tapas.

We ate at several places there including the yummy shrimp at Casa del Abuelo where the waitresses scream out the order to the cook who are only a few feet away. Very funny, and yes they just drop the trash on the floor. Be prepared to stand at apas bars. However you can have tapas in cafes as well sitting down, be aware there may be a charge for that.

Assuming you go to Plaza Mayor at some point on your trip , go under the arch & follow that street past the famous Casa Botin Restaurant & head down that way to familiarize with that area. Eventually you will come across the tiny Taberna Txakoli. Cava Baja, 26. We loved this Basque tapas bar specializing in seafood and varied pintxos vascos. The small bar was packed when we were there. The assortment of tapas is displayed so it should be easy to point. We asked which were the more typical choices of Basque specialties we were not disappointed. Also near here is the retaurante Orixe which is another good place & you can have tapas or meal in the dining room too. Looks sleek but it's not expensive comparitively speaking.

The "ham museum" Museo del Jamon has been critisized here too but frankly we enjoyed it too & itls in several locations.
http://www.museodeljamon.com/seccion...bocadillos.php

I love tapas, especially croqutas & anything with mushrooms and seafood, and also jamon iberico...you get the picture?

The secret to Tapas is to have an open mind. If you are a picky eater it may be a problem. For those of us that are willing to try anything it is a great fun experience.
Our only mistake was NOT pacing ourselves & ordering too much at once. Take it slowly. Also if you ask questions earnestly (not critically) they seem very appreciative & happy to share info with you...we even got some free stuff!

We went out on the first night kind of early 7 pm or so & it felt too early lots of places were not open at least n a weeknight, but those that were open were less crowded. When we left at about 9:30 they were srating to get busy.

Here is an article to read http://astrology.yahoo.com/channel/f...madrid-226644/

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

amsdom,
Thank you for your post. We do have an open mind and will try almost anything that is offered in a Tapas. I enjoy new experiences and moving from one Tapas to another sounds like a great way to spend an evening or two.
We will be going to Plaza Mayor and will try some of your sugestions. Thanks again.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi harry,

ditto what amsdon said.

some places [and it seems to vary by bar and by area] bring you the "house" tapas when you have a drink, then another different one whehn you have another drink - how they keep track I don't know.

others, there is also a menu of tapas from which you can order - they also come in "raciones" size which is bigger - perhaps those are the sharing ones you are thinking about.

still others have tables where you can sit, but still order tapas or raciones or a meal.

the main thing about Spain which I love, compared to other places I've been, is that what with tapas bars, late lunches and dinners, and cholcolate and churos bars that open til breakfast time, you can eat more or less what you want, when you want.

so don't wory about what to do -they are used to tourists and as amsdon says, it's fine to point.

regards, ann
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM

Harry,
Now that you know how to do a "tapeo", I have a list of my favorite wine and tapas bars in my Madrid guide (including Taberna Txakolí and Orixe) at www.maribelsguides.com
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
amsdon's suggestion of Cava Baja is one to note. This street is filled with wonderful restaurants & bars. Have a drink & bar tapas in one & dinner in another. It's an easy walk south of Plaza Major. Just don't go before 9pm because everything will be shut.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Ann,
Thanks for the explanation of the "raciones" I will feel fortunate if a larger size arrives.
Maribel,
I checked your guide great information!
Ian,
I will take your advise and walk to Plaza Major via Cava Baja.
Thanks to all for making me feel at ease with the Tapas experience.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM

Ian is right, it is indeed an odd feeling if you go too early, and you see all the metal doors rolled down.
It's like another planet at night.

You can also have a leisurely lunch and take advantage of the day's menu/menu del día, then do tapas later after 9 pm.

By the way we loved the tapas with the little quail egg.

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM

Harry,
Yes, nine pm is a good time to begin your tapas crawl, especially on tapas bar row, the Cava Baja. Some open at 8 (Almendro 13, Casas Lucas, El Tempranillo-Orixe opens at 8:30)), but you'll have them basically to yourself, but on the other hand, you'll be able to find a table to sit. If you go at 9 you'll be in just a bit before the crowd.

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM

Not too tourist recommended tapas bars in Madrid:
"Sol Mayor" or "Postas" at calle Postas. Typical "calamares" (rings of battered squid) with beer.
"La Panera" at calle Arenal 19. Large raciones for sharing. Try "lacon a la gallega" (pork shoulder with paprika) or "chopitos" (deep fried baby cuttlefish) with white wine from Rueda.
"Bodegas Ricla" at Calle Cuchilleros 6. Try the "canape de bacalao" (smoked codfish canape) and drink "vermut de grifo" (Typical vermouth on tap).
"La Villa del Pescadito". Tiny bar at Calle Toledo 26 (closed on Monday). Recommendation: "adobo" (deep fried marinated fish) with white wine Barbadillo.
"Revuelta" at calle Latoneros 3 (plaza Puerta Cerrada). Local atmosphere. Outstanding "bacalao rebozado" (battered codfish) and "torreznos" (fried rusher of bacon). The house wine is so-so, better drink a beer.
"El Rey del Pimiento". Narrow bar with kitsch decor located at Plaza Puerta Cerrada 4. Racion de "pimientos fritos" (delicious soft fried strips of green pepper).
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:03 AM

Always follow Maribel's tips! Taberna Txakolí is a great place to start. The Txakoli wine became a favorite in the Basque Country however here at home it's $22.99 a bottle.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

I will have five evenings in Madrid and I will do my best to try all of the reccomended Tapas. I am not sure if we will have any formal dinners this trip since are days will be filled with day trips and a couple of over night trips. This forum has always been a big help, thanks to all.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM

My #1 piece of advice for all first-timers going to Madrid is to read Maribel's guides. She's right on the money about most things.

I also agree with the poster who directed you toward Plaza Santa Ana. It's a great place to hang out, chill and people-watch. And the surrounding area is full of great tapas spots. Explore and discover!

Here is our trip report from a few years ago, when we were first-timers...I hope it helps:
http://www.onelittleworld.com/madrid_1.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM

Harry, you have gotten great advice. I need to take this with me for my trip as well!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

mr_go,

I enjoyed your travel report and the pictures you provided. I will also spend a night in Segovia and a night in Toledo. We also hope to get to El Escorial. We have a total of eight nights for this trip.
I have been reading Maribel's guide and there is a lot of great information. I am now batteling with myself if I should take the train to Segovia or rent a car to see some other sights on the way.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks, Harry, we really enjoyed the trip. Just bear in mind that our info is already several years old (time sure flies!).

I look forward to reading your trip report when you return.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Harry, if by any chance you can read spanish, a couple of weeks ago there was an article in El Mundo listing places where you can get a good tapa with your beer for free :
http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/2009...233761541.html

Many of them are far away from the touristic centre, I think that the easiest one would be "el tigre".

Bye, Cova
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to say but I do not read Spanish. But I did get one name from your post "El tigre". I would likt to try some non tourist Tapas once I am comfortable with the Tapas.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Unless things have changed dramatically since 2002, the best tapas that we found in Madrid were in random cafeterias and bars off the beaten path. Not only were they good, but they were free! So long as you ordered a drink (back then the house wine was as cheap as .80 cents), you got a plate of tapas.
I'll have to say, the cafeteria was the best, though. It was filled with older spanish men watching football.
The only place that we paid for tapas was by Plaza Mayor. Some place that Hemingway made famous - and the food was horrible.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Cova that was a neat video. At the end it looked like there was a little box of Lipton tea....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -