Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Torn between 4 luxury hotels in Amsterdam....help me decide?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Nikki

My friend and I are going to Amsterdam for a weekend mid April. We are 2 women celebrating our 40th birthdays. I can't decide if we should stay at the American Hotel or the Golden Tulip Amsterdam Center in the Leidseplein area, or the Grand or the Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace by Central Station and the Red Light district. We want luxury, good accomodations and service (but not stuffy), but we also want to be in the right neigborhood to "PARTY" at night. Your opinions are gratefully welcome!!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 01:58 PM
G

Can't help you with the hotels listed but I did stay in a wonderful Lux hotel in Amsterdam close to the train station (I know I will probably spell it wrongly) - the Kraz(s?)naplonski. It was top notch, not stuffy, great service and close to everything. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Marsha

Definitely, The Grand. The rooms are spacious, pillow top mattresses and down pillows, good service and a very good restaurant. The other hotels are not in the same category but do have a good location.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Georgine

Dear Nikki, <BR> <BR>We have stayed at the Barizon Palace on several occasions. It is a lovely property; however, I believe that if you want to be in an area that is in the heart of "evening entertainment", you would be bettered situated near the Leidsplein. <BR> <BR>Also, the rooms at the Barbizon Palace are not overly spacious, since it is in a series of converted canal houses. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 12:51 PM
coco

You might look into the Hotel Pulitzer (which I've been told is now part of the Sheraton luxury collection). We were out late every night and could walk back there easily. The rooms are large and each individually decorated, the service was wonderful (I'd bought 50 tulips for about $10 and put them in a water glass and a cut-off water bottle; when I returned that evening they were in two beautiful glass vases compliments of the house! Very endearing.)

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Chris

Coco - I am booked for the Sheraton Pulitzer in June, and was thinking of switching to the Amsterdam Marriott as it is closer to the Leidseplein. You mentioned that you walked back to the Sheraton nightly - did you walk from Leidseplein? If so, how far was the walk approximately? Many thanks.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Anna

Another vote for the Pulitzer - on a lovely canal, not in the centre of the nightlife (the best part), but within easy walking distance.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Judy

We stayed at the American Hotel a couple years ago. It's in a great location. However, the standard double rooms are VERY small...smallest rooms I've ever stayed in. We upgraded immediately to a lovely king room. The bar at the American Hotel is lively and fun, too!

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 01:26 PM
coco

The Pulitzer is near the old West Church, between the Prinsengracht and Kaizergracht (sp?) canals...I'd say it's about 10 blocks down the canal to Leidseplein. Something like that, not far.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Catherine

Definitely The American hotel for it's location. It's right in the thick of things (centre of Leidesplein). Can't really remember the size of the rooms I'm afraid--it's been too long. But they were sticklers for cleanliness (spent the summer there working as a chambermaid) <BR> <BR>Have fun in Amsterdam-it's a great city.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 05:32 PM
April

Chris: <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Pulitzer and enjoyed our walks to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, and Dam Square. Walking along the canals is half the fun so none of these seemed very far. The Anne Frankhuis, Westerkerk and the Jordaan are 'right there' and a grocery store is not far around the corner.