Reload this Page >

Help with teenager and packing

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Elle

How do you convince a 16 year old teenage girl that she doesn't need her whole closet on a multi-week trip through Europe? I've tried everything to talk her into taking less clothing than she wants, but I've been unable to get her to change her mind. She knows that she will be responsible to handle her own (grossly overweight) luggage. What else can you tell them?

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:59 PM
pam

Have her pack what she thinks she needs, then have her walk around the block twice carrying it. Then take her to a set of stairs and have her carry her bag up and down about five times. Have her do this hurriedly, as if she were trying to catch a train. Have several family members or friends crowding around her, jostling her, while she carries her bag up and down the stairs. If she still insists upon taking her entire wardrobe, tell her you don't want to hear any complaints on the trip and maybe even fine her $1 for each whine. Remind her she can seek out a post office in Europe and use her own money to mail excess clothing home. If you are traveling by private car, you should be concerned about the size of the luggage compartment and daughter's suitcase as a % of that space and relative to the amount of space others' suitcases will have. Good luck.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Julie

We are also traveling in Europe with our children this summer, including daughters age 13 and 16. I told them that the less they take, the more room in their bags for new and unique clothes that they might find shopping in Europe - it worked for us. One caution, I did have to set a shopping allowance for them!

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:35 PM
StCirq

Tell her there's nothing uglier in the eyes of European boys than a girl with a big fat suitcase.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Judy

That's the Ticket, St.Cirq <BR>Boys, anything with boys, works IMVHO <BR>Come to think of it, it works for me too!&lt;g&gt; Judy ;-)

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Robin

Wow...you guys are good! Have you contributed to the "mothers" post yet?

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Capo

*LOL* StCirq...good one!

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Judy

I meant to say "It worked for me" past tense,,,,way past tense. ;-)Judy

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Susan

Elle, <BR>How about taking her shopping for a new, lightweight piece of luggage with lots of fun pockets and compartments. But YOU limit the size of it, and then tell her that she can take as much as she wants as long as it fits into the new suitcase. Maybe she'll be so into the new suitcase that it will make up for leaving some clothing behind. And of course remind her that you're not going to be seeing the same people over and over again, so she doesn't have to impress them with fresh outfits. I agree with the other poster about making her <BR>walk around the block with the luggage <BR>(wearing whatever shoes she'll be taking). I don't know if you can still do this with a 16-year-old, but I would <BR>give her limits (You MAY NOT take more than 2 pair of shoes, 2 bathing suits, etc.). She'll surely hate this, but she may just need some help in figuring out what is reasonable (though she'd certainly never admit it!). Good luck!

Old May 8th, 2001, 05:12 PM
kam

I love the idea of the $1 fine per each whine! I wish I had thought of this with my boys, who were probably much easier than daughters! Our theory was always, you pack it ,you haul it. And, if they got tired of hauling their luggage, they could leave stuff behind, but we never took up the slack. Actually, they were pretty good. It's a valid point that you'll have to consider how much trunk room you'll have for the whole family even if your daughter thinks she wants to tote around a big bag. This is where the airlines' size and weight regulations come in handy! Good luck.

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Marie

I suppose its too late to consider leaving her at home if she won't cooperate. I agree with the others, you have to set limits. I made the mistake of not doing that and it ruined our last trip. My husband and I ended up fighting because of all the problems our daughter's oversize bag caused. Many times he ended up having to carry it and with European cars being as small as they are, we ended up having to carry luggage inside the car. The best time to do something about this type of problem is now, before you leave.

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:05 AM
linda

Elle, As Pam wished you, sincere good luck. You have already been given all the advice I would give you. Even though it is a lot of work, my husband and two teenage boys are more than happy to let me pack for them. They tell me I do a fabulous job--I think they understand the luxury of their situation. None the less--I can do the packing and be sure that they have all they need without overpacking. Overpacking is easy, even when you are trying hard not to do so. They learned a valuable lesson on a multi-week trip to France. We travelled from Paris through the Alps to the south of France. Our last day in Chamonix I let my boys choose what to mail home. They not only chose the warm items we needed in the north, they sent some of their warm weather items as well. They were careful to keep all their socks and underwear. Travel, even with one carry-on suitcase was enlightening for them. We ended up paying $100.00 to ship one large carton home on a slow boat. It was the best money we ever spent. They now have no hesitation to travel light. Your daughter may also need to experience this first hand. If so, I recommend that she take two suitcases. This way she can mail one home. It will be the best money you spend as well! <BR> <BR>Really. Good luck. <BR> <BR>linda

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:07 AM
linda

Of course, I meant--even though it is a lot of work for me! <BR> <BR>linda

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Julie

Kids seem to worry so much about what is in style in Europe...remember all the "what do I where in ___" questions. Tell her you don't know if her clothes are in style in Europe and that she should only bring a few things so that she can buy new stylish European clothes once she gets there. But do as the above poster said and put a limit on the $. <BR>Although I loved all the clothes in the European cities I visited, I thought that compared to US prices France and Italy are expensive and Spain and Portugal were very reasonable.

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:24 AM
stacey

Elle - Wonderful advice from everyone. Especially the parts about buying a few cool things when she gets there and the boys thing. I have a 16 year old daughter and I don't mean this to sound harsh - but- Just say no. I'm guessing that you're paying for this trip. At the end of the day, that means you have control. If it's not a family trip, and she's going with a group or something and she's paying for it, then maybe you don't have the last word. I hope you've got time between now and your trip to convince her. If not, do what the other poster suggested - give her a limit on each type of clothing, pants, tops, shoes etc. End of discussion. 16 year old girls are wonderful, but they can so easily go off the other end and make you miserable! I wish you the best of luck.