Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Top Sites for Trip with 14 year old daughter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/top-sites-for-trip-with-14-year-old-daughter-928251/)

tamaraten Mar 19th, 2012 05:58 AM

Top Sites for Trip with 14 year old daughter

I'm surprising my daughter with a (1st) trip to Paris, leaving this Thursday for six days. The last time I was in Paris was 15 years ago.

What would you say are the top must-sees? So far, the Louvre of course, the Eiffel Tower, Musee D'Orsay, and the Pompidou Centre. I've never been to Musee de l'Orangerie but I'm thinking of that too. Also thinking about a sightseeing bus if there is one to give her a sense of the city.

Of course, just walking and walking and soaking up the atmosphere, going to cafes and people-watching will be heavenly.

She's really bright and LOVES art - also loves shopping.

Any other must-see suggestions?

jelopez33 Mar 19th, 2012 06:44 AM

Musee Rodin,Musee Marmottan;Louxemburg gardens.Enjoy the trip!!!

jelopez33 Mar 19th, 2012 06:46 AM

just one more:Vedettes du Pont Neuf; buy yours tickets on line and save some euro and skip the line!!!

tamaraten Mar 19th, 2012 06:55 AM

Thank you jelopez33 - are the lines very long for the boat ride? Not sure when to buy on-line as want to check out weather first when we get there.

StCirq Mar 19th, 2012 06:58 AM

If you buy the tickets online, I think you bypass the lines, which aren't all that bad anyway.

jelopez33 Mar 19th, 2012 07:01 AM

Tamara:
As St.Cirq said lines are not really bad; but if you buy online you choose the day and hor of your cruise.

StCirq Mar 19th, 2012 07:02 AM

Well, I just went to the site and checked - it did not ask me to select a day and time.

tamaraten Mar 19th, 2012 07:10 AM

Do you think it would be cold to take a boat ride now in March?

StCirq Mar 19th, 2012 07:19 AM

Well, if you sit on the top in the open it might be. Inside...no.

tamaraten Mar 19th, 2012 07:20 AM

thanks!

amamax2 Mar 19th, 2012 07:33 AM

One of the highlights for my kids was climbing to the top of Notre Dame. Others included the l'Orangerie (Monet's Water Lilly paintings are amazing) and the Musee de l'Armee.

HappyTrvlr Mar 19th, 2012 07:51 AM

When I took my 14 year old granddaughter to Paris she really loved l'Orangerie best, followed by d'Orsay. L'Orangerie was a hit due to Monet's large waterlilies. For shopping, the street fairs/markets were her favorites. She also enjoyed watching the street performers in front of the Pompideau.
Casual food such as crepes and baguette sandwiches which were displayed in shop windows were big hits too.

Michael Mar 19th, 2012 08:12 AM

For browsing if not shopping, the <i>passages</i>.

The Musée Cluny, if only for the tapestries of the 5 senses.

Lexma90 Mar 19th, 2012 11:06 AM

Another museum, which our art-loving 11yo daughter loved, Musee Andre-Jacquemart. We call that kind of museum "house-museums."

For each of our kids, we arranged their first sight of the Eiffel Tower to be at night, from a vedettes du pont neuf boat - magical.

A fun activity is to search out the best macarons, buying 1-2 (or more) from a variety of patisseries throughout the trip. I also developed a bad habit of picking up a small pastry to try with or after breakfast - a small bag of choquettes, or a cannele. Yum!

tamaraten Mar 19th, 2012 02:59 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!

Sidny Mar 19th, 2012 03:23 PM

I would def take her up to Montmartre for the views and the collection of people on the steps listening to/watching performers.

One of the cemeteries, if you're nearby? Interesting for an American (unless you're from New Orleans).

Even though she loves art, try not to OD on that. There is so much to see of the city. Have her handle some cash and speak to the waiters, etc. It will be good experience for some day when she wants to go overseas on her own.

So exciting, have a wonderful time!