Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Top of the Eiffel Tower (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/top-of-the-eiffel-tower-167597/)

Rebecca Jan 15th, 2003 08:47 AM

Top of the Eiffel Tower

I'm afraid of heights-will I feel bad if I don't go to the top?? Thanks

Ask your Jan 15th, 2003 08:51 AM

What exactly does &quot;will I feel bad&quot; mean? Does it mean you'll feel bad for the person you are with if you leave them by themselves. <BR><BR>Isn't the proper question &quot;Will I miss something special?&quot; The answer to that question if yes. <BR><BR>Why not go to the first level, see how you are handling the height and then decide. See, I just saved you $75!

kjuli Jan 15th, 2003 08:53 AM

I am not afraid of heights. When I walked close to the Eiffel Tower and looked up, I thought &quot;ABSOLUTELY, NO WAY AM I GOING UP THERE!!!&quot;.<BR><BR>It is so much taller than I expected. Don't even think about at this point, just go there and then decide how you feel about it.

Eye Spy Jan 15th, 2003 08:59 AM

Rebecca: it's all right if you are afraid of heights. Sure it's nice to go to the very top of the Tour Eiffel, but the first and second landings give great views as well if you don't think you can do it. If you don't think you can go all the way to the top, you could try:<BR>1) Arc de Triomphe. Very nice view!<BR>2) Centre Pompidou. Take the free escalators to the top (they're glass enclosed). <BR>3) Sacre-Coeur. You could sit at the top of the hill.<BR>4) La Samaritaine Dept. Store (rue de Rivoli by Louvre) and Le Printemps dept. store (Boulevard Haussman and rue de Caumartin) have wonderful cafes with nice views too.<BR>5) landings 1 and 2 of the Tour Eiffel (as mentioned above).<BR>6) Tour Maine Montparnasse (a bit shorter than the Eiffel Tower) -- you may feel more secure here.<BR><BR>So don't feel bad. There are other options!<BR><BR>

belinda Jan 15th, 2003 09:42 AM

I too am afraid of heights, but made the trip to the top anyway. I just couldn't imaging traveling all the way to Paris and not going to the top. What made it better for me is that when you are traveling up in the elevator you see the structure of the tower surrounding you. Once at the top, you have two options. You can remain in a glass-enclosed structure and look out or go up a short flight of stairs to an open air observation deck which is still surrounded by fencing. Have fun!

sandi Jan 15th, 2003 10:53 AM

Are you planning to go up at all? If you go to the first level it's still damn high. I can't imagine that it would make a difference between the first level, second level or the top.<BR>At what point does it start bothering you?

Dr. Dokkter Jan 15th, 2003 11:20 AM

<BR><BR>The only way to overcome your fears is to confront them, not give in to them. <BR><BR>Of course, if you don't WANT to overcome your fears, that's another matter. <BR><BR>To the best of my knowledge, no one has died of fright from going to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Should you decide to go, you will live and you will love the view.

Amy Jan 15th, 2003 11:28 AM

Hi Rebecca--No you will enjoy Paris greatly if you do not go to the top. I made it to the second level in the elevator and that was more than sufficient. The point to your vacation is to have fun. First, keep in mind how many Parisians have never gone to the top and they seem to enjoy Paris just fine. Second, there's so much to see and do in Paris that you'll have plenty of great experiences wihtout it. I agree with the post-er who said go up one stage at a time, get off and see how you feel. You might surprise yourself! Have a great vacation!

Chris Jan 15th, 2003 11:53 AM

You'll probably feel worse if you do! I hate heights and stood in the middle of the elevator on the way up and against the wall when I got to the top (and I didn't go outside). Hated every minute. Didn't think the view was all that spectacular either (bunch of roof tops).<BR><BR>Try going at night -- I found that it's MUCH prettier than in the day and you don't notice the height nearly as much.

sally Jan 15th, 2003 11:58 AM

if you do decide to go I'd go to the top level rather than the first level. The top level is enclosed so you certainly feel safe. I am not afraid of heights but thought the first level was a little scary because it was open.

syrinx Jan 15th, 2003 12:33 PM

I totally agree with belinda. I am afraid of heights, but I went all the way to the top and enjoyed every minute of it! Just ask yourself, how often do you get to go on the Eiffel Tower?

cindy Jan 15th, 2003 02:10 PM

I agree with sally. The first and second level are completely open. If you are afraid of heights, you can get that panicky feeling that makes you feel like jumping! (even though you never would). I went up to the top and had no problem, as it was enclosed with fencing. Sacre Coeur was a problem. The dome had stairs that came out and wrapped around the outside of the dome with nothing but a small knee to waist high wall. That was my undoing.

Lucy Jan 15th, 2003 02:41 PM

I don't usually have much of a problem with heights but I found the lift right a little freaky going from level 2 to 3 &amp; had to keep my eyes shut! But once I was out on the top level it was fine &amp; well &amp; truly worth while - spectacular view!

mary Jan 15th, 2003 10:13 PM

I went on 9/11 of 2002. I must tell you that I am not afraid of heights but It is high and the lift made me wish that I had a couple of glasses of wine so I could give a rat's ass if something happened or not.. Do it !!

paris Jan 16th, 2003 08:18 AM

As somebody already listed, there are plenty of great views in Paris. The one from the Eiffel probably isn't the best...'cause it's the one view without the tower.

Amy Jan 16th, 2003 08:57 AM

I would go up if you can. We did and it made for a wonderful experience. As others have mentioned though, the views from the Arc de Triomphe and the Pompidou are good as well in my experience.<BR><BR>I am not afraid of heights but did experience some vertigo in the elevator going up to the last level. It is glass, so the movement feeling isn't for the faint of heart (or is it stomach).

bob Jan 16th, 2003 09:50 AM

Actually Paris, someone once said that the best view of Paris was from the top of the tower because then the damn tower wasn't in it. Wish I could remember who said that (By the way, I don't agree, I love the tower and I love going to the top, have done so several times).

Thyra Jan 16th, 2003 09:57 AM

I am absolutely positively petrified of heights, but BY GOSH I go anyway.. the Duomo in Florence, the Empire State Building, cable cars in Australia,you name it.. ..I go up to the top just to say I did it.. but I have really hardcore panic attacks, and my husband has taken all of these pictures of me, cowering against the walls of wherever we are.. literally, I am glued to the nearest wall, farthest away from the edge.. I never enjoy the view!! I can't get close enough to look at it...lol.. But I get to say, I've been! Plus it always feels so good to come back down...

aik Jan 16th, 2003 10:11 AM

the top actually consists of two levels - a glass enclosed lobby with lighted directions on the wall specifying the locations of the landmarks you can see around and the distances of major cities from the tower, and the open level which is a flight of stairs up - it's open but protected by a wire mesh so no one can jump or fall off, either accidentally or intentionally. if i had just one place to go in paris, the top of the eiffel would definitely be it!!