Top food picks? Venice

Mar 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Top food picks? Venice

We'd hate to miss a good meal or a special food, and the lists and choices are so overwhelming. Any suggestions for a top 3-4 to spread over a few days?
Mar 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM

One of our favorite restaurants in Venice was Acqua Pazzo. Fantastic seafood and limoncello. Getting hungry just thinking about it!
Mar 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Da Alvise, http://tinyurl.com/2mx4hy , was easily the highlight of our trip to Venice. If the setting doesn't get you, the food certainly will. It's near Fondamente Nove across from San Michele with a small terrace stretching out over the lagoon. We stumbled upon it during our exploration of Venice and stopped for lunch. We were so enamored of it, we made reservations for dinner that same night. In the evening, the place was packed with what appeared to locals and regulars, and if possible the food was even better. My husband had lasagna; I had pasta with clams. Sounds pretty mundane but they certainly take it up a notch. My husband went so far as to infer that the lasagna might be better than mia nonna's recipe from the old country!
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM

I know it sounds crazy but my favorite food in Venice was various sandwiches that are pre-made and shown in glasss case in sidewalk cafes. Roasted vegetables, tomato and hard boiled egg slices, etc. With a glass of cold white wine. Just delicious.
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Definately make Hostoria da Franz one of your 3-4 stops. Exquisite food, wine , service and ambience. Great value to boot.

It's on Fondamenta San Guiseppe, just a few blocks from the Giradini vaporetto stop.

http://www.hostariadafranz.com/
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I just noticed on the Hostoria da Franz website above, in the "Reviews" section, that they clipped part of a trip report I posted here at Fodor's.

Funny.

My humble trip report is right there with Zagat and Michelin!
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Hi Toni and Bardo - how much?

we're off next friday for a whole week in Venice - can't wait.

regards, ann
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM

ann,

Our meal was 127E.

Which included:

A bottle of Prosecco and a large bottle of water.

I had a very traditional dish, sardines soar, which is essentially pickled sardines served with sauteed onions. DW had a mixed carpaccio plate of sea bass, tuna, and swordfish.

Then we each had pastas made fresh in-house: spaghetti bursarla, with local shrimp caught that morning for DW; and pappardelle with scallops for me.

We then had coffee and shared an amazing pan cotte for dessert.

The menu changes daily.
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM

127E includes the tip.
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM

I always look forward to traditional calf's liver with onions and polenta.
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM

For traditional food, I was also going to suggest sardines soar (forget American sardines, no comparison), as well as squid in it's own black ink sauce. Both delicious.
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM

thanks Bardo,

we're travelling with our "kids" [aged 20 & 17 - I think we'll have to plan less interesting holidays next year to put them off coming with us] so E127 x 2 is quite a lot - about £200.

i can see me doing more cooking in the apartment than I'd hoped!

a good excuse to to trapse round the food shops and markets though.

only a week to go!

regards, ann
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Mambo_

We didn't find any truly outstanding meals in Venice, except this beautiful place (from my trip report):

"The next day was Mother’s Day, so we headed out to find Bar Caffe La Piscina for a special brunch. Having read so much about the Pension La Calcina, Dorsoduro 780, I had sent an availability inquiry via e-mail to them while looking for accommodations in Venice. Even though they were full, La Calcina sent back a nice e-mail with their regrets, and an offer to visit their lovely restaurant, La Piscina, including a 12 percent discount on our meal, to thank us for our interest (a very nice touch).

Researching La Piscina on the internet, I thought it looked very attractive. It sits on the Zattere, with a beautiful view of the Giudecca canal and the pretty buildings across it. La Piscina’s outdoor tables are shaded by pretty blue umbrellas, and are set on a wooden deck over the water.

We were very happy we’d made the somewhat long and hungry walk to Dorsoduro, because eating at La Piscina was a real treat. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere amazing, and we had a beautiful blue-sky day to enjoy the view. Our meal included wine, bottled water, a primi, a “snack”, and a secondi, for 46.50EUR, minus 5.50 EUR for our discount. It was an especially memorable Mother’s Day, for sure."

We liked these, but didn't rave about them:

"Our first night, we ate at Trattoria Alla Rivetta, recommended by the hotel for its fish menu. It’s at Ponte S. Provolo 4625. It was nice, with a lot of locals and others lining up to eat there. Our meal was 58.24EUR, for two fish entrees, and a half-liter of house wine.

The second night, we ate at Osteria Alla Botte, San Marco 5482. It was a very friendly and busy little place, with reasonable prices. Our meal was 46 EUR, also for two fish dishes and a half-liter of house wine."

Enjoy lovely Venice! Buy lots of glass jewelry. I wish I'd bought more of it.
>-

Mar 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Hi Mambo -

those look like my sort of prices!

I'll try to make good notes during our trip so I can report back.

regards, ann
Mar 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Ann,

About Da Alvise prices (I had to find the receipt first, sorry)
Dinner - 42 Euro
2 Euro cover per person
one primo was 10, the other 13,
(more than enough for dinner)
2 glasses of house wine 6 Euro,
una birra 5 Euro
service 10%

Lunch
Salad, pizza, cover, 2 beers, and service was 27 Euro for two of us

I thought we got a lot of value for the money especially considering it's Venice. And the walk back to the hotel was through quiet neighborhoods away from the crowds. Rather serene.

And another restaurant we've visited during both our visits to Venice was
Trattoria ai Greci, Castello 4988. More in the heart of things, Fondamenta S. Lorenzo, charming location next to a bridge and canal. Dinner for the two of us 47 Euro and it was delicious - the French fries amazing. Go figure!
Mar 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Hi Toni,

that's exactly the sort of thing that I'm thinking about.

grazie.

regards, ann
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM

here is a second for Aqua Pazza..
also check out Marco Polo...great intimate atmosphere..
Mar 16th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Jo-Let me tell you a few things about Venice and restaurants; most of them tend to be quite expensive, overcharging the tourist for very simple signature Venetian dishes, like, my very favorite Venetian dish called "sarde en saor" -which was referenced above by various posters. You can buy, at the Billa supermarket deli section in Venice, as well as at their COOP food market, EXCELLENT sarde en saor for about 6 Euros, which will include about 7-8 sarde. Now, anyone who would go to a restaurant in Venice and pay 20 Euro and up for this simple signature dish that you can find in any Venetian bacaro (a bacaro is like a tapas bar) for maybe a little more than you can get it in the supermarket is, well, NOT as the Venetians do but as a tourist would do who doesn't know better. To try sarde en saor and other local Venetian seafood specialities such as "granciola" (crab) I would suggest strongly stopping off at the vaporetto stop Rialto Mercato and heading straight to BANCOGIRO, located right in front of the vaporetto stop, right there on the Grand Canal, and take a nice glass of prosecco or other wine and trying some "cichetti" (tapas) which would include sarde en saor-they do it very well here. You can just point to the "cichetti" you want to try and the barista will make you up a plate, large or small. You won't pay an arm and a leg for these dishes either, as you will if you sit down in virtually any tourist restaurant in Venice. After BANCOGIRO, go around the corner onto the atmospheric Campo San Giacometto with the big ancient clock face, and stop off at other bacaros to have yet another glass of prosecco and other tapas, specifically, at AL MERCA, but particularly important to visit, the atmospheric 14th century bacaro CANTINA DO MORI. You can make an entire meal out of the cichetti that you can take here, WITHOUT spending molto Euros for these simple Venetian specialities.

But if I were to recommend ONE good Venetian restaurant, with consistent quality, that is charming and also packed with Venetians and tourists,every day, and equally as important, is centrally located (people who ask for Venetian restaurant recommendations end up not going to these places located here in Castello or there in Cannaregio because they are not near their hotels or apartments) that would be TRATTORIA ALLA MADONNA, on the Calle della Madonna-located just before the Rialto Bridge going up the Canal from San Marco. You cannot go wrong here, the seafood is the freshest, as the fish market is right there, and it has been around as a Venetian institution for 50 years-they really do seafood right, but you MUST call and make a reservation for dinner, or get there right when it opens for dinner, because the place is always packed, lunch and dinner:

TRATTORIA ALLA MADONNA
Calle della Madonna
San Polo, Tel. 041-5223824
www.ristoranteallamadonna.com/eng

They accept credit cards as well.

As for Acqua Pazzo, located down in San Marco at Campo Sant'Angelo, it gets relatively good marks from some folks for food, others not, but it is a tourist restaurant (meaning Venetians don't go there) it's also quite pricey, the owner is a Neapolitan.
Mar 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM

A favorite of mine is Vini da Gigio www.vinidagigio.com, Fondamenta Chiesa 3628A, tel: 041 528 5140.
Mar 16th, 2008, 05:49 AM

bookmarking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO