Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Top 5 In Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/top-5-in-rome-735674/)

Buzzy Sep 11th, 2007 07:21 AM

Top 5 In Rome

Can I have everyone's top 5 must see places in Rome and why please.

Thanks

Debi Sep 11th, 2007 07:23 AM

There are so many wonderful places in Rome. My favorite is the Coliseum, second would be Vatican, third would be the area around Trevi fountain, fourth would be Spanish steps and the area around there and the 5th would be walking anywhere around there... LOVE that city.....

sandi_travelnut Sep 11th, 2007 07:24 AM

You have a guidebook and have your own list though right? Also, click on Destinations above for basic tourist information in Rome.

plafield Sep 11th, 2007 10:39 AM

For me one of the top experiences in Rome is a picnic that starts at Volpetti food market (Via Marmorata 47 in Testaccio, closed Tuesday afternoons and Sundays)where you can have the most amazng sandwiches made from the best quality meats and cheeses in Rome. Then 2 doors down, stop at the pasticceria for sweets and head up the Anantine Hill (Volpetti's will give you a little map)with your goodies, stop and look through the keyhole at the incredible view of St. Peter's and then eat your picnic in the orange garden above with a most amazing view of the whole city of Rome. If it's May or June, the roses will be blooming in the rose garden that you will pass on your walk down to cicus maximus. A magical few hours, not to be missd in my opinion.

Another not to be missed experience for me was a coffee on P. del Popolo before or after seeing the incredible S. M. del Popolo church. The art inside (Carravagio!) and the architechture of this church is incredible. Remember though, the church closes between noon and 4:00PM.

I reccommend going early and having coffee and pastry in the piazza (expensive but worth the location)and then seeing the church. From there it's an easy walk down V.D Corso for shopping and to the Spnish steps or to the Borghese gardens/museum. The Borghese is another must see for the gorgeous sculptures (Bernini!)

Have a great trip. Rome is amazing!

jabez Sep 11th, 2007 10:49 AM

There's been lots of threads here that answered similar questions. You might want to do a search.
You might want to add "First time visitors". My "musts" change with each trip, except for favorite restaurants, enjoying Piazza Navona, etc.
Also, the "musts" are often directly related to time. What are musts in one day can chage with a week.

jgarvey Sep 11th, 2007 10:54 AM

My two favs are the Pantheon and the Forum at sunset--so beautiful and evocative.

Nikki Sep 11th, 2007 11:01 AM

Walk up the cordonata, the stairs up to the top of the Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo. The building directly opposite is the Senate; walk to the right of this building and look down on the view of the Forum, with the Colosseum in the background.

Then walk around to the other side of the Senate, descend down the stairs and through the millennia into the Forum and walk through it toward the Arch of Constantine, next to the Colosseum. This is an amazing introduction to the wonders of ancient Rome, and it doesn't cost a eurocent.

PalenqueBob Sep 11th, 2007 11:05 AM

1- Forum, etc.

2- colosseum

3- Vatican museum, st pete's

4- Pantheon

5- Pza Navona

5- Trevi Fountain

Greekgazoo Sep 11th, 2007 04:58 PM

1) St. Peter's - an absolute must !!! Catholic or not. Most amazing church i have ever been in.

2) Trevi Fountain - its great in the day, but SOOO much better at night.

3) Forum - the history !!! and to think Julius Ceasar walked and lived in the same place you are in.

4) Coliseum - again, the history !!! it being one of the "new" seven wonders (even though i dont agree with the list)

5) Pantheon - Raphiel's burial place and much more.