Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please review ireland golf and sight seeing trip for beginning of May

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jenn! I was speaking with your sister in law Caroline and she said to send her the itinerary when we got things worked out, so here it is, maybe she'll have some restaurant or sightseeing ideas. No worries if she doesn't have any ideas.

Love to all!
To the kind advisors,

here's the preliminary outline for our trip to Ireland

We are all so excited to come to Ireland and want to make the most of each day.

I've asked a bunch of questions and not sure if you can answer them, but they are just outlines for wanting to get the sights in while also taking into consideration the amount of time the drive will take to get from place to place and the fact that the boys are golfing.

remember -- I have Muscular Dystrophy so walking any distance is out but I can do some but not a bunch of stairs (that's why I'm concerned about the touring part and why Ira really insisted on a driver for me. My brother-in-law has a bad back and the golf I'm sure will keep him from walking & touring much too.

For travel info, Unfortunately We're booked Shannon airport in and out so we have to be picked up at Shannon and driven to Dublin area the first day. Driver hired!

Day 1 Wed, May 6th -- Drive to Dublin area from Shannon
See? what to see and do on 2 hour+ ride to Dublin ?
Eat? any recommended cafe's or bistros? along the way
what specific town or sights should we aim to see
mentioned Clonmacnoise Monastery which is 1hr. 33 min from Shannon
looks like something to stop - do you think yes?
where to stop to have a quick meal during the ride?

Stay stay at Carton House
eat - first night already have dinner at Carton House

Day 2, Thursday, May 7th
Men Golf at 8 am Carton House
Women - we have tour set up for Dublin area for 2nd day
Jameson Experience and Guinness
Eat? need lunch and dinner suggestions.
Stay - headed to Mont Clare Hotel for this night
thinking of:
La Mere Zou
Il Posto
Pigs Ear
One Pico for Dinner, thoughts, suggestions?
Music? suggestions for after dinner music entertainment pub? wine bar called Hugos?
coffee at the Bald Barrister - 55 Aungier Street

Day 3, Friday, May 8th drive
from Dublin to Killarney Hotel
assuming this is a 4-5 hour drive
was thinking that the Rock of Cashel was at a 1.45 hr drive and is it worth stopping on way to Killarney - someone suggested lunch at McCarthy's Bar in Fethard -
or see Kilkenny Castle on the way?
food in Kilkenny is Kyteler's Inn has a band and trad music in front bar
See? need suggestions of specific sights to see and place to eat on way to Blarney Castle and Blarney Woolen Mills -
Eat ? need suggestions for dinner near Randles Court Hotel in Killarney
Music? need suggestions for live music place

Day 4, Saturday, May 9th
Men Golf at 9:00 am Dooks Golf
Women Sight see Ring of Kerry -
See? will seeing ring of kerry take up all of the day?
Eat? need suggestions of restaurants or pubs in Killarney - read about Cate Cleary's cottage?
stay at Randles Court again

Day 5, Sunday, May 10th Travel from Killarney to Ennis -
crossing the Shannon River to Co Clare, plan is to travel by ferry and on to Ennis
stay at Temple Gate Hotel
See? sightseeing suggestions and food suggestions needed
Eat? suggestions in Ennis area for dinner
Entertainment? - live music pub suggestions

Day 6, Monday, May 11th
Golf at 10:00 am at Lahinch
See Cliffs of Moher -- is this too much for my legs walking?
we've no interest in kissing the stone.

stop to eat at Vaughan's anchor Inn? someone suggested this and it's only six min from lay inch where they're golfing

go to Doolin -- suggested to eat at Dermot's which has trad music
drive thru Burren and back to Lahinch
Eat? need food suggestions for Ennis area
Entertainment? - live music pub suggestions
Stay at Temple Gate Hotel again

Day 7, Tuesday, May 12th
Check out of Temple Gate Hotel by 9:00 am for 1/2 hr ride to airport
(suggestions were to get to airport 3 hours early)
get to Shannon Airport to leave by 12:45 flight to US

We're interested in getting the real feel for pub's and music and town life in Ireland.
and of course we love the view of the countryside too. Who wouldn't love it, when I see the pictures of the greenery of Ireland I can't wait!!

We're getting a 7 passenger Mercedes Van with a driver for the entire trip.

Much thanks in advance
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 03:40 AM

Think your driver will have more idea on travel times than Google, provided he's a native.

Not sure why you are flying into SNN rather than DUB to start the trip. But Day one and two look like a decent option. If you are aiming for Clonmacnoise then I might suggest calling into Birr on the way (assuming your driver cutting across rather than up the 18 turn right on the 6)

Day 3 you have a long day going round to Killarney. Day 4 fine but your dining options might be better adjusted into the town which has a lot of good options. My locals in Killarney are O'Connors and Tattler Jacks, both could have good music, The Danny Mann in the Eviston is the place for tour bus trad.

Day 5~7, Welcome back to Clare, Unless you aim to see Loop Head and other points in South west Clare I recommend the Tunnel rather than the ferry crossing for Ennis. The Temple gate is a good place to eat and they may have music in Preachers. My general recommendation is Brogans but they are changing hands and closed at the moment. Poets Corner in the Old Ground is a good option and Queens will also have music. Just ask in town and you will be directed to the best spot for the night.
I don't eat in Doolin. If you want one of Ireland best eateries then the Wild Honey is the place to go,, Music in Doolin is of the Danny Mann variety most nights. Ennis has far more/better options. Pitty you will miss the Fledh Nua (starts the 17th)
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 04:46 AM

I am not crazy about Dooks but some of my golfing friends love it. Fabulous views.

I hope the guys are reasonable golfers. Lahinch is a tough course. But beautiful and once again incredible scenery.

You will be driving very close to Tralee. If I had to play one course again before I departed the planet it would be Tralee. The back nine in particular is stunning. Have fun.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies, marking my papers now to look up recommendations, and telling husband about golf comments, thanks so much for your time and help!
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 06:24 PM

A few quick observations on your travel plan.
Clonmacnoise doesn't really tie in with the Shannon - Dublin route, although if you divert there you will be on a main road that delivers you to Maynooth (Carton House).
On the more direct route, through Limerick, a popular stopping-off place is the wonderfully titled Barack Obama Plaza - I kid you not.

Eating out near the Mont Clare hotel: we have enjoyed eating in the Blackboard Bistro, just down the street (Clare St.). Food at the Pig's Ear is excellent and is not far down Nassau St. One Pico would be a notch up in the $$$ stakes.
Walking southwards along Merrion Square brings you to Baggot St/Merrion Row where a few of the popular Dublin pubs are to be found - Doheny & Nesbits, Toner's and O'Donoghues.

Re the Dublin to Killarney trip, this is a long enough day in a car without taking a major diversion to Kilkenny. Travelling via Cork city does give you the option of stops at the Rock of Cashel and Blarney Castle without wandering far off the direct route.
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much, also a quick question, best pubs to watch the american NHL games ?
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Not sure, where would you catch the GAA on a TV in a N.Y. Bar? If you are in Killarney then maybe Tattler Jacks or they might be able to advise? If in Ennis I really wouldn't know.
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! His favorite team lost so he won't be so hyped to see the nhl now but I'm sure he will watch it some where. Tattler jacks is a good suggestion. Plus if I can get wifi He can watch on my lap top