Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TOP 10 THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN PARIS (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/top-10-things-to-see-and-do-in-paris-141257/)

Phyllis Jan 13th, 2002 03:26 PM

TOP 10 THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN PARIS

Hi...Would love to read about the top and best 10 things to see and do in Paris...If there is a thread out there already would love to know what it is under...thanks a lot..Phyllis

c Jan 13th, 2002 03:33 PM

1-Notre Dame<BR>2-the Louvre<BR>3-the Invalides<BR>4-the Eiffel Tower<BR>5-Sacre Couer<BR>6-the Rodin Muesum<BR>7-take a bateau mouche ride in the late afternoon/early evening<BR>8-sit in a cafe on the Blvd St Germain and just watch <BR>9-go to anything at the Opera Garnier<BR>10-walk walk walk walk walk<BR>

Howard Jan 13th, 2002 04:04 PM

It's called "100 Great Things to Do in Paris"

Jen Jan 13th, 2002 04:31 PM

1. Louvre<BR>2. Eiffel Tower at night<BR>3. Marmottan Museum<BR>4. Sitting in Cafe de Flore watching people and sipping coffee<BR>5. Talk a Paris Walking Tour of the Marias section of Paris<BR>6. Visit Fauchon<BR>7. Walk in Luxembourg Gardens in the morning in the summer.<BR>8. Shop at Bon Marche.<BR>9. Feed fish in the Tulleries fountains.<BR>10. Purchase your morning baguette and walk, walk, walk.

jill Jan 14th, 2002 10:07 AM

For everyone who fails to put the Musee des Egouts (the sewer museum) in Paris on your top 10 or top 100 list, you're seriously missing out!!! It's fabulous and for 3 euros, it's a steal.

Caren Jan 14th, 2002 11:57 AM

Musee d'orsay is my favorite museum, it is a must see.

xxx Jan 14th, 2002 02:59 PM

Back to the top --<BR>How about your favorite 10 things to do in January?

el Jan 19th, 2002 01:32 PM

My 10 favorite things to do in Paris:<BR> <BR>1. rent a apt on Ille St. Louis<BR>2. boat ride on Seine River<BR>3.walk along Seine<BR>4. Luxemborg Gardens<BR>5. go to sewer museum<BR>6 take elevator up to the top of the eiffel and walk up last steps<BR>7.walk the whole length of the Champs Ell. from the Louvre to the Arc and graze along the way<BR>8. go food shopping at the individual<BR> stores and do not forget the bagatte<BR> sandwitch and the wonderful food <BR> everywhere<BR>9. La Samantaine roofdeck<BR>10.Notre Dame and the Louvre<BR>

rj Jan 19th, 2002 07:05 PM

If the weather is cold and when it's cold it's very cold, do your shopping at Galleries Lafayette. Almost everything is there. The cafe isn't too bad either for refreshment, which you will need. That place is huge and is all-consuming. I agree with all the other suggestions, too. Walk, Walk, Walk... and see the most beautiful city from many different angles and vantage points. Don't miss the small markets on the rive gauche; looking at the food and how it is displayed is very interesting. Go into a patisserie and buy five gorgeous and delicious pastries for under four dollars and watch them wrap the package perfectly. Then take it back to your room and have a sugar feast! The Louvre has an amazing permanent African art exhibit which I recommend. I always go to the Cluny Museum. You will see Roman architecture, medieval works, etc. in a beautiful setting.

Phyllis Jan 19th, 2002 07:41 PM

Hi..Wow!!!!!!!!!!! It all sounds so wonderful..My husband and I cannot wait until June when we start our trip. <BR>Thanks so much to all of you for all your insight. Phyllis :=)

mimi taylor Jan 19th, 2002 08:16 PM

Gads! how can anyone leave out the Bois(de Boulogne) Two famous beautiful restaurants, Pre Catalan, Grande Cascade, and another one on the iles, you go by boat, there's a rose garden, a zoo, a horse trail, and so much more, check out the old film, GIGI, opening filmed in the bois.

JUlie Jan 20th, 2002 11:54 AM

I'm interested in the question that xxx posed about what to do in January since I'll be there next month. I'm also wondering if anyone has used the book Impressionist Walks or Walks of the Impressionists, something like that. It shows you a photo of the painting and then shows you how to get to the location today that matches the painting. A local travel writer had praised it highly several years ago. I'm just wondering if that would be as much fun in the winter.