Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Took Trafalgar tour but preferred tour with ____?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Julie

I have only taken tours to Europe with Trafalgar. I loved them and the price was very reasonable. BUT, has anyone taken a tour with Trafalgar and with another tour company? <BR> <BR>I would like to hear what other tour companies you liked as much as, or more than Trafalgar. Please only respond if you have taken a Trafalgar tour and can compare the other tour group to it. <BR> <BR>Also, let me know if the price was comparable. If the price was higher, in the long run was it worth it?

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 07:05 PM
hmh

I have posted a reply under the topic "Trafalgar Tour"--but to paraphrase: my husband and I have take both T and Globus. Most itineraries are similar--the busses usually stay in the same hotels; we found them both deliver what was expected; we felt we got value for our money; we don't think there is too much difference--at least on the ones we've taken, we been quite satisfied with both companies. We are taking two Trafalgar Breaks next month--Globus does not offer these.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Amy

I've been told that Globus and Trafalgar are actually run by different divisions of the same company. So that explains the similarities. <BR> <BR>I've taken Globus and Trafalgar tours and been happy with both, too.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:28 AM
buddy

I have taken a tour with Trafalgar which lasted 13 days and saw a portion of about 3 countries we extened our stay at the end in paris for 4 days. this tour was okay. Trafalgar has a good reputation in the industry at their level. This trip was nice until I took my next trip with collette which was terrific!! mind you this was supposed to be a trafalgar first-class, the hotels were okay and the rooms wre actually fine(not first class though) but they were definitely not centrally located. In addition i thought the food was terrible. On trafalgar you get a fair amount of free time which was nice and we ending up foregoing some of the hotel meals for bursting out on our own. We would have done this more if the hotels were closer to the city and restaurants were within walking distance. <BR> <BR>Some difference with Collette were of course the location of the hotel and they were even a little nicer too (not much but the location was certainly nicer) the food was better too. We were also able to do more exploring on our own as we stayed right in the center of the cities instead of staying outside the city and riding the tour bus in. with the Collette tour there really weren't as many optionals either most everything was included in the price. In 11 days we only had 2 optionals and i took 1. One other difference was that with Collette we stayed in each hotel for 2 nights and Rome for 3. Though this difference may be because we took a multi-country tour with trafalgar and an italy only tour with Collette. regardless, i liked not moving hotels as much. Also, it seems with Trafalgar we wer up and on the bus every morning by 7a.m. Because we were located in the ciites with Collette and didn't have the bus trip in we didn't leave until about 8-8:30 each morning. (I am not a morning person) <BR> <BR>Overall i like Trafalgar for a budget vacation and it ws fine but Collette was somewhat nicer. I believe collette is a bit more expensive (but not nearly as expensive as the deluxe companies of Tauk and Maupintour) it is reaaly worth it adn you save some money on optinals adn eating out.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 09:15 AM
topper

topping

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:29 PM
julie

Thanks Buddy, <BR>I will look into Collette Tours. We loved our Trafalgar Tours and the prices were very reasonable but we did spend an extra $600 each on optionals. (We took all optionals.) If Collette includes just about everything except one or two excursions then that is important when looking at the price difference. Thanks for the info. <BR> <BR>Also, we make a point of taking tours that do not have more than two one-nighters in a row. <BR> <BR>On my last tour I looked at the morning schedule for other tour companies. Trafalgar was leaving between 7 & 8:30 each morning. Some were leaving the hotel as early as 4:00 am. I hope I never take a tour that leaves that early. I can't remember what tour company it was. Any idea of which company does this so I can avoid it.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 05:20 AM
topper

topping

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 05:21 AM
topper

topping

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 07:35 AM
pop

up