Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Took everyone's advice and booked Paris for April - need hotel help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all that responded to my previous post about April v. August in Paris. We booked our tickets today and we leave on April 12th!

Now I just need hotel help! I've been reading through the posts and I'm considering the Marais area because of the 'neighborhood feel.' We'd like a nice place for around $200 a night - any other suggestions would be welcomed!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM

YIKES!!

Better start looking...some of the more "popular" hotels may already be booked. I always get accomodations first...then get the airline ticket..as you can always get a flight, but you may be booked out of your top hotel/apartment choices.

Good Luck!

Do a search for Marais Hotels...lots come up.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM

In some sense, that is an easier question becuase there aren't that many hotels in the Marais of 3* level, which I guess is what you want. I think the 4* ones will be more than that with the exchange rate for USD, if that's your currency. You need a hotel for around 150 euro. I think the usual suspects are Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais, Hotel Bretonnerie (which I would choose over Caron de Beaumarchais as you don't need AC in April), the Beaubourg, and the Axial Beaubourg. I have thought the Axial Beaubourg looks really cool since its recent renovation, more sleek and modern.

There is a good location to check hotels in the area on www.parislemarais.com and they sometimes have discounts on there. It's a good place to start looking.

I think the Caron de Beaumarchais, which has its own website, is very "cute", but with very small rooms, although many love the place; I think their rates are a little higher than some of these, but still around your budget for one of their best rooms (I've heard the front ones are larger)
http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

It would be helpful if you gave us the star rating you are looking for. We like the Hotel Andrea-Rivoli on the edge of the Maurais but it is only a 2* and a double runs about 85 euros.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! The quick response of the people on this board is just amazing and much appreciated!

In my research so far, it appears that the budget that I mentioned - $200 per night puts us in the 3 star range, if I'm reading my information correctly.

That said, I would prefer a 3 star hotel over a 2 star hotel, but what I'm really looking for is a nice, not too small double room with a private bath/shower - preferably not on a noisy street. As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking at the Marais and Rue Cler areas, but am open if someone has a better option.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM

The Hotel Beaumarchais, at 3 rue Oberkampf, just outside the Marais, a nice neighborhood with a trendy bent (not to be confused with the other end of rue Oberkampf where the nightlife is brisk). Doubles 110 euros. Lots of color in the rooms. Playful decor. Their Web site, www.hotelbeaumarchais.com is not working this evening but they're on numerous hotel booking sites.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:23 PM

We just booked a room for almost the same week (from advice on this board) at the Hotel Britannique in the 1st. We're paying around 160 Euros which is in your price range. While not in the area you mentioned, it looks to be a good area for first time visitors. Try searching on the name and check TripAdvisor.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM

You could look at the Hotel Place des Vosges (www.hotelplacedesvosges.com) The website is only in french, but it seems the location is pretty good. I spoke with a desk clerk last night, who told me the rates are 120 or 140 (euros). when I asked what the 107E referred to (its in french and I didnt understand,) he said it was for another season, but would offer me that rate. Trip Advisor ranks it as #151 in the city, with some mixed reviews.

My brother recently stayed in the Marais at the St. Merry. He said it was nice and interesting, as it is an old convent, I believe.

Good luck.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Dear Tyr23

Christina's advice is exactly what mine would be. In your price range, with a real Marais location and feel: the Hotel Bretonnerie. You can get a quiet and larger room there, right about what you want to spend.

This is a fun location, and I have stayed in one of their superior (I think that's what they called it) rooms. I like the location better than that of the Caron de Beaumarchais, but they also have one larger room, where a friend stayed.

Have a great time: April in Paris!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:34 PM

As your April trip is very soon, I would check out ratestogo.com We had luck in getting a good price in an area where we wanted to be. They are reasonable and have good last minute offers. Some people like laterooms.com
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:53 PM

we stayed at the claude bernard on rue des ecoles. even tho it is on a fairly busy street, noise was not a problem. they have an elevator, nice breakfast room, close to several metro stops, pantheon, sorbonne, 2 blocks off the seine, cafes nearby, laundromat, etc. it was great for our family. very helpful front desk personnel - computer access in the lobby and doubles are well within your price range.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I just a great rate on american for under $375 and found a hotel for $99 euros in the 1st arr.

can't wait to go
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

which hotel did you find that rate at? We've found a couple of hotels that we like, but nothing that cheap!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:47 AM

I went to atelhotels.com and have booked the Hotel Louvre Saint Romain in the 1st arr. They had a deal for $99 euros. I have had friends who have stayed there and thought it was nice. I stayed across the street at also the Hotel Louvre Montana but the rates have gone up from what I have paid before. I tried negotiating down my room price which they did but had to cancel the trip. I have stayed at the Clarion St James and Albany. GREAT HOTEL! Right around the corner from the above 2. I think that was $250
Good luck
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my post!

After 7 hours yesterday on the phone and online, we booked a room at the Hotel Delavigne.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Hi,

We're leaving for Paris on April 12th too. Found really good airline rate. Have reservations at the Hotel Chomel which sounds just fine and is $146/night including breakfast. This is my 5th or 6th trip to Paris and I always get very anal about hotels. I'm still looking through my copy of Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris and may change if I find something I think will be better. This is my husband's third trip and together we've stayed in four star hotels in very large rooms. He may be in for a shock!

By the way everyone, the Hotel Bretonnerie was booked for April 12th when I checked early yesterday morning.

Judy