Too Tall for Scavi Tour?

Search

Too Tall for Scavi Tour?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Tall for Scavi Tour?

Hubby is 6'6". I have decided I myself can deal with the claustrophobic aspect of the tour but wonder about the comfort of the "big guy". Any comments? And do you think a non-religious person would still enjoy this tour?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM

Being really "wide" would be a bit more uncomfortable.My husband is 6'1" tall and had no problems. He is rather non-religious and says that this was one of his hi-lights in Italy. It is dark, dank, and smelly, but to think you are actually walking on an old Roman road visiting an old Roman cemetary on Vatican Hill is unique. There is a lot of information on the net on the excavation effort that I wish I had read before going. It is cheap and worth the hour. As you leave, you will go through the area where the Popes are buried.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM

Agree with Amart. Took the tour in October. The "ceiling" level is quite high in most places. I think people feel more claustrophobic from having to step into smaller sized rooms, and doors are closed behind you to separate you from other groups coming along behind.

Very interesting to those who love experiencing more about the Roman times and their cemetary/burial practices. And even a non-religious person may come away convinced that the Vatican is indeed built on the burial site of Peter.

Best wishes, SusanEva
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM

Good question.

I was also wondering if all the raving about the Scavi Tour was by Catholics or Christians.

We were interested in seeing it more from a historical perspective and hope it will be just as fascinating!

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM

Catholics "OR" Christians?

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:40 PM

I can't help but comment either or rather ask a question. What do you mean dina by Catholics or Christians. I hope this was a mistype.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:50 AM

So sorry! I was half asleep last night when still addiced to this board....

I meant Catholics or OTHER Christians (who are not Catholic.)
Didn't at all mean to offend!

Just wondering about the tour's appeal--whether it's specific or general....

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for that enlightening reply. I have sent off an e.mail and have received the response that the request is being processed and please do not ask or send again.We are asking for May 13th. Do hope I haven't left it too late.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:55 AM

I'm not a very religious person overall, but I thought the Scavi tour was fascinating, especially from a historic point of view. The history is worth the tour alone. My younger brothers (ages 18 and 21 at the time) went with DH and I last year. They are not religious in the least and both absolutely loved Vatican City and the Scavi tour.

As for the height, I didn't really notice any problems. I'm 5'7, hubby is 6'1 and one of my brothers is about 6'2. I heard no complaints. I agree with the above; it would be more of a problem of width rather than heigth.

Tracy
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM

Hi Minx,
I also requested via email last week and got an automated responce in about 3 minutes.

I still haven't heard back, but other threads mention that it can sometimes be a problem.

Some people have had good luck faxing, which I may do if I don't hear from them by Feb.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM

Hi dina, I understand. Sometimes I look at my post the next day and cringe, LOL..no problem.

Ah the Italians. Getting emails and responses from them can be a problem.

Hope everyone gets their reservations. Have fun in Italy.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks, LoveItaly!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM

The Scavi tour generally gets a good rating regardless of your religion. My only advise is to book early.
There's more info at: www.stpetersbasilica.org