Reload this Page >

too much in too little time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 05:48 AM
Lily

We'll be in Paris with a car for three weeks next August (my husband, myself and our two teenage boys). We love cities but also love the countryside and plan on several overnight trips. How does this sound? 1.Paris to Rouen - spend morning touring in Rouen - on to Bayeux for touring sites afternoon and next morning (staying overnight in Bayeux) then on to Mont St Michel returning to Paris that night. Too much mileage for 2 days and not enough time to see war memorial sites?<BR>2. Paris to Amboise for one night - enough time to tour 3 or 4 chateaux or would another day be needed?<BR>3. Paris to Arles for 3 days.<BR>4. About 10 days in Paris (not including 2 travel days) with daytrips to Chartres and Giverny.<BR>Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Rex

Your trip to Rouen/Bayeux has too much crammed into too little time.<BR><BR>3 or 4 chateaux in one day is likely to result in a feeling of &quot;seen one, seen 'em all&quot;. Allow more time, or see two and do something different that day. A montgolfiere would be nice if your budget can take that.<BR><BR>It won't hurt to subtract a few days in Paris, and I recommend that you NOT omit the day trips to Chartres and giverny even with fewer days in Paris.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
Christina

It's hard to say without knowing what you want to see in these places as to whether it would be enough time.<BR><BR>In particular, you wouldn't have time to see much at all in Rouen if you are only going to be there in the morning and that includes travel time to Rouen. I spent all day there, myself, but I went by train and had a leisurely day to see everything I wanted, as well as just seeing some of the older part of the city, relaxing in a cafe, etc. If you aren't interested in seeing a lot of what is there (they have several well-known cathedrals, for example), I suppose you can only spend an hour or two there.<BR><BR>You could see 3-4 chateaux in Amboise if that time included the morning of the following day before you return to Paris. I don't see how you could if you intend to leave first thing in the morning after the overnight.<BR><BR>I think 3 days in Arles would be plenty except you plan to drive rather than taking the train, I guess. YOu could still do it as that would give you one full day in Arles, but that's a lot of driving for a day trip, why not take the train if you only want to see Arles.<BR><BR>The Paris part sounds fine.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:18 AM
Betsy

Lily, the statement that you'll be in Paris with a car for three weeks concerns me. I'd like to suggest that needing a car in Paris is like a fish needing a bicycle. <BR><BR>Please think about taking the train from Paris to Chartres or Giverny and picking up your car there. Continue on to Rouen, Normandy, MSM, the Loire Valley, and possibly Arles in the car and then turn it in on your way back into Paris. If you go to www.autoeurope, there is a pull down menu of all the places to pick up and drop off in France.<BR><BR>Bon voyage

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
vgt

Very good thread.<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
margo

I agree that a car in Paris is a handicap. Get the train out of Paris and pick up the car, as suggested. And the planned trips seem too fast.<BR>Amboise and the chateaux in a day or so is too much. We found 2 chateaux a day was as much or more than our brains could handle. I guess the consideration is 2 teenage boys. Give them some euros and let them hang out in cafes in the villages near the chateaux, while you go and have a look.<BR>Your northern trip seems to be too fast, as well.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
John H

Lily,<BR><BR>A few thoughts:<BR><BR>1) I definitely would avoid a car in Paris. Even picking a car up on the edge of Paris can be a nightmare. Why not pick up at CDG Airport (take the RER-B train out) and head to Rouen and Bayeux from there.<BR><BR>2) One overnight to see Rouen, Bayeux and MSM is much too little, in my opinion. You will want at least one additional night in Bayuex and maybe 2. The Museum at Caen is 3-4 hours on its own; the battlefields are a half-day or day. MSM is a good half-day with driving. <BR><BR>3) Why not continue on to the Loire Valley from Normandy rather than coming back to Paris? It's a natural loop, as both Bayeux/MSM and the Loire Valley are west of Paris. And, this could simplify your car rental.<BR><BR>4) I'd spend two nights in the Loire Valley and take a more leisurely pace. Amboise is a great base.<BR><BR>5) I have been to Arles and like it, but why go all that way? I'd stick to northern France, if I were you. Places like Versailles, Champagne, Fontainbleau, ... are all in easy reach. And, you could better spend those 3 days spread across the Loire and Normandy, as I noted above.<BR><BR>Happy travels.<BR><BR>John H<BR><BR>2)

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
JOhn H

Lily,<BR><BR>Two other thoughts: <BR><BR>1) if you get an early start, you can definitely tackle Giverny on your way to Bayeux, even with a stop in Rouen.<BR><BR>2) Chartres can be seen in conjunction with the Loire Valley (returning to Paris, for example, from the Loire Valley).<BR><BR>John H<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:08 PM
oh

oh sure. in conjunction with 3 or 4 chateaux. like a drive-by shooting in all cases.<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Lily

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. Lily