Reload this Page >

Too many choices--now what

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Dawn

Frankly, can't make up my mind which direction to go. I'd like to travel to Britan/Scotland in May--is this a good time of year weather wise--not concerned about rain. <BR> <BR>I'm looking at Trafalgar Tours--Cornwall area only, or Britan/Scotland tour or Scotland only--will probably tack on a few days in London either before or after the tour. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>Have heard negatives only about Scotland has anyone taken a tour? Would still like to go despite the negative responses. <BR> <BR>Is anyone avoiding the British Isles because of the foot and mouth disease? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Gina

You've heard negatives only about Scotland? Not here, surely. (Hey, Sheila, where are you?) I've been to Scotland three times--a bit of time in Glasgow, not much; more time in Edinburgh, which I loved; and a couple of jaunts through the Highlands, which are magnificent. <BR> <BR>I think Scotland is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. I'll never forget my first arrival--taking the train from London, which is about a five-hour trip. There's not a lot of beautiful scenery right along that rail route as you cross out of northern England, so I hadn't been looking out the window much and had been writing in my journal. I heard the conductor announce Berwick, our first stop in Scotland, and looked out the window and couldn't help saying out loud, "Hey! There really is heather on those hills!" <BR> <BR>I particularly loved the Torridon area of the highlands; we hiked up to a spot called Alliegin Falls (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong), which was glorious. Ben Nevis was also amazing; we hiked around in the foothills but didn't attempt to climb it. And Eilean Donan, the castle used in the movie Highlander, is breathtaking. <BR> <BR>You'll love Scotland!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Danna

Dawn, <BR> <BR>Another vote for Scotland! It's Grand! We found the people there to be the friendliest we met, bar none. We loved the Southwest area, Galloway. May should be great. Don't discount Scotland. Have Fun!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Sheila

I'm working all B****y weekend, is where I am!!<BR><BR>Dawn, I'm a bit surprised by the comments about my beloved homeland (make that the understatement of the week). Could I suggest a search on here might dispel your negatives? If you have any specific concerns- midges, enforced haggis eating, meanness of the natives etc- let us know and we may try to dispel them for you.<BR><BR>As to weather, late May/June is the best time, IMHO; I'm no expert on tours, since I don't take them but there arepenty of comments on here about them too.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 02:16 PM
andrea

going to england in may---london and lake district(where there's bad hoof and mouth) but will not stop me from going--just will avoid eating meat,veal,lamb--try fish,chicken,or duck--you won't starve. spoke to too many people on this forum from UK who dispelled all my fears--GO

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 05:20 PM
xxx

Dawn, did you really mean negatives about SCOTLAND itself, or just maybe about the Scotland TOUR that your company of choice happens to offer? <BR> <BR>I have never been to Scotland, but would like to go someday. I have never EVER heard any negatives about Scotland except for food and weather. You can't really mean that, can you?

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Mel

As an old man in a rumpled flatcap and two days whiskers said to me as my husband and I entered a neighborhood pub on our third trip to Scotland: "You say you went over the Highlands, did ya? Ah, and isn't Scotland a wee bit of Heaven?" He couldn't have been more right. A dyed-in-the-wool London lover, I was overwhelmed the first time I went to Scotland. The people are absolutely the friendliest I've met anywhere and their sense of humor and generosity is boundless. Edinburgh would be my home if I could find a way to do it! Also, I took a Trafalger tour my first time in the UK--it was a good tour group, but I quickly learned you certainly don't need an organized tour to see the UK. We speak their language, understand their street signs and they have an excellent train system. Just read posts here, get a good book or two and do some homework and think about going on your town. Remember that a tour group can only take you to the restaurants that can service a busload of tourists and your at their mercy to be ready to go when and where they wish to go. Do consider wandering on your own and meeting locals. Have a great trip!