Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

too early to incorporate lighter fall clothing?(fashion emergency)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering girls...I have purchased some lighter weight transitional pieces for fall (aka l.weight cognac suede jacket) and things like light weight short sleeve sweaters and jeans. I am wondering if it is too early (and too hot) to incorporate some of these things in my wardrobe while in Italy this August? Of course, I won't be wearing sweaters and jackets together or anything...but just a few pieces with some cropped pants or something.

Also, would appreciate some fashion hints as to good ideas for color combos and any other fashion suggestions? What would you any suggest as "the basic fall accessory or item" to purchase while in Italy... ???

Thanks much in advance!
Patricia
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:39 AM

I think so. Italy is August will still be quite warm. So hit the summer sales where you live and take all new summer things with you
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM

I would check the weather before you go, but I suspect that you won't need a lightweight jacket in Italy in August! (Unless you're going to be close to Switzerland... then maybe?)
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
ira

Hi Patricia,

Even in mid-Sept, it will be warm for Fall wear.

A pashmina is a good idea for chilly nights.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so the jacket is probably out, unless I need it for evening...but what about light weight, synthetic made stretchy short sleeve sweaters combined with crops?

I am a fall color person, and it's very hard for me to choose summer colors --I usually end up incorporating light weight clothing with fall colors.

I appreciate your fashion assistance!
Patricia
(I know I should be checking out fashion tv!)
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:50 AM

Perhaps short-sleeved sweaters in the evening? You really just have to check the weather! When I was there in early June 1999, I was melting in tank tops. (Of course, you can escape the heat in museums, etc.) I don't know if I wore a long-sleeved shirt once on that trip. I'm definitely not wearing one in any of my pictures!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM

Oh, and as for colors... I think you should wear whatever you want! I choose the colors that look right on me, regardless of the season. (Not that I'd wear white shoes in the winter... or any time, actually...)
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Strass! I usually do choose the colors I like, but sometimes they're harder to find in the summer (but it could be that I'm just picky) --probably

It shouldn't be this hard to find clothing. Uuughhh

Thanks!
Patricia
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:01 AM

Patricia, I am a blue eye blonde so I wear blue a lot and some pinks. Other than that, I wear creams and blacks most of the time. So as far as the colors I would take, there you have it
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
yk

Patricia-

You can always bring an empty suitcase and buy your wardrobe when you get there!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:06 AM

If you have a "fall" coloring you can get summer clothes that have warm tones. Any color can come in warm tones.
I think the suede jacket would be good over your shoulders in an air conditioned restaurant or outdoors at night.

You could wear that with beige and maybe a warm toned scarf and you will look sharp. You can wear black cropped pants with this too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:08 AM

I think "fall colors" would be fine, but just not fall fabrics. Have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:38 AM

I'd say whatever you choose, make sure most of your clothing matches, so you have lots of different outfit options. For our upcoming trip to Paris and Amsterdam, I'm bringing lots of black and some creams, blues, reds/pinks. I want each top to go with at least two or three bottoms. I'm picky, too, by the way--I know I think about this stuff way too much, but I want to look good on my trip; I can't help it!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends where in Italy and what this summers' weather brings. The last two years have had some incredible heatwaves in parts of Europe. The two times I was in Venice, both August, it was absolutely roasting... I can't imagine wearing a synthetic short sleeve sweater in that weather.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:45 PM

HI
I've been in Italy in early Oct and in Rome had 80 degree F temps during the day, and since I was on the move all the time my main concern regarding fashion was coolness and comfort. That's within the bounds of not being a shorts and tank top person to begin with, but I had no need for jackets or sweaters during the day. Evenings I was glad to have a light sweater or shawl. In August, I don't think I would have needed even that. I think jeans can be really hot to wear in warm weather, and can't be easily washed out should it be a sweaty day.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:53 PM

Unless you are in the mountains in the North Italy in August will be more like hell than fall - assume high temps in the 90's on a regular basis. Venice will be hot and humid, Florence hotter but perhaps a little less humid and Rome just very hot! You will need light cottons/linens - not suede or sweaters.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:02 PM

Do not take a beautiful new suede jacket on a holiday (especially in hot summer). It will take up space (so you'll hardly use it), you'll worry about spills on the plane, in the restaurant etc. (Of course, think about buying another beautiful leather jacket when you're in Italy; I bought two in late July sales in Rome last year).

How about twin sets? I find their great for travel all year round: you can take the cardigan off if you're hot (eg outside in the summer, indoors in the sweaty uncomfortable London theatres), but add a layer for air-conditioned locations, places where you need to be covered up (churches) and evenings.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:27 PM

this seems to be the place for advice on what to pack.. I am going to Marbella for a week.. is it fashionable wear or wear whatever?? I am trying to get a sense if marbella is like sardegna/ st. tropez or laid-back?? if nycfoodsnob is available for consultation...
thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I just want to clarify, I think you must believe that my suede jacket is medium to heavy weight. It is actually an extremely light weight suede and shorter style jacket (late spring suede)...I would think this would be ok for an evening or for exploring, say the Domus Aurea where it might get chilly or the Necropolis?Don't worry, I won't be wearing a jacket in heat of the day.

I do see everyone's point, but I am hard to fit into tiny and scant clothing. It just doesn't look too pulled together, so I may have to go with a few light weight tshirts and a light weight sweater and some slightly heavier pants.

Kate_W,
Twinsets are an option. I could take off the cardigan in the day. Thanks! By the way, where did you get your leather jackets? And where are the sales (so I can keep my eyes open) 8)

Thanks!
Patricia

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Hope you have a wonderful trip PatriciaV2. I am wondering some of the same things for September. Thinking of taking light weight short sleeve sweaters. However am wondering if colors like yellow, seagreen are to summery? Also, everyone seems to suggest black and cream. Would it be out of place to wear black and white at that time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -