tomboy - what's the Capella in Wurzburg?

Dec 12th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

tomboy - what's the Capella in Wurzburg?

In your 12/3/05 post to me you mentioned going to the Capella. I have read all my guidebooks and can't figure out what this is. Help please from tomboy or anyone in the know.
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:28 AM

The word is Kappele, pronounced ka-pel-la. It's a baroque pilgrimage chapel. See the Michelin Green Guide for details.
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM

The castle (is it Marienburg?) is on the crest of a hill overlooking the town. To its north (about 1/4 mile) is a free parking lot, from which we walked up the hill to the castle--it seems like it was at least a 45 minute hike. To its south is another hill, atop which is the Kappele (thanks, USNR). It's probably also a good 45 minute hike. From there we drove to the Residenz, which is in the middle of the town. The latter was the primo attraction to me; the castle was notable (to me) primarily by its size, not its features. The Kappele was typically baroque, having more features of interest than the castle.
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Terrific, I'll check out my books for the Kappele. Sounds like the hike up to the fortress was tough. Do they have a shuttle, horse & buggy, rickshaw or anything so we don't have to hike it?
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM
mikeycora

BabsB:

A city bus takes you up. Check at the train station. The bus station is next to it. If you have a car the ride up is well marked and takes only a few minutes from the town center. The walk up is not it difficult. Starting from the town hall go over the Main River using the Saints Bridge and follow the signs up.