Tomatina Festival????

Search

Tomatina Festival????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomatina Festival????

I think the Tomatina Festival sounds like a blast. So, I've been doing some research on Valencia and the festival.

Below is my plan and a few questions. Please provide any tips or direction you may have.

I've read that the locals will offer their garden hoses connected to their house's to help you clean off. (1) Is this true?

I've read to take a change of clothes, but I'm not sure where to put them if I'm in the middle of a food fight. (2) Any ideas?

I want to take a camera, so I'm thinking of putting it in a small ziploc bag and hiding it in my pocket until I'm ready to use it. (3) Is this a bad idea?

I plan on taking a train from Valencia to Bunol the morning of the festival. (4) Will this be difficult? I assume I should book a ticket now.

Thanks a ton for all the help. Any additional tips would greatly be appreciated.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM

The Tomatina is a festival? Not really.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Robert
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM

You can check out everything you want to know about the tomato fight at:

http://gospain.about.com/od/tomatina...atinaguide.htm

Damian does a pretty good write-up.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM

LA TOMATINA | THE TOMATO PARTY IN VALENCIA SPAIN
La Tomatina. This movie requires Flash Player 9. Hostels. The BEST Backpackers Hostels ... Kelly packard Tomatina... May 12, 2010; No Responses ...
www.latomatina.org/
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
http://gospain.about.com/od/tomatina...ncia_bunol.htm

Check to see if there are lockers at the train station where you could store your clean clothes.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM

There may be lockers in Valencia's station - should be but i doubt in Bunol - unless things have changed recently, due to Basque and now Moslem terrorists bombs only really main stations have baggage storage - with airport-type security clearing that small stations just cannot do so they usually have no facilities.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM

A warning to females at this"festival" if one dares calls this nonsense that.

Be prepared to be one of the unlucky ones to be stripped involuntarily by hoards of totally drunk anxious guys who, along with other drunk spectators, will laugh their heads off at you, until someone rescues you from them. Have seen it too often on TV.

Imagine the wet t-shirt affect..

Have fun. Not sure you would want to travel back to Valencia in wet, ruined clothes. Not sure where everyone keeps them, but besides being in some sort of good quality plastic.. basically people wear bathing suits, t-shirts and flip flops. If it is hot, your rinsed clothes will dry off on your body, of course, in a fairly short amount of time.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM

1 - this is true! By the time you get back to the top of the town you'll be good as new

2- your best bet is going on an organised tour if you want to leave your clothes somewhere, thisisvalencia.com's tour is really popular and they give your goggles (essential) AND take you for lunch and a swim afterwards. lovely.

3- take an underwater camera, or take your photos through the ziploc bag, the tomatoes get in your ears nose pants etc. so are bound to clog up a camera lens!

4- see no. 2. You need to book a train ahead but ive heard that the getting back is a bit of a nightmare.

hope this helps!