Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Tom, You Idiot!" Home Surgery Nearly Ruins Central Europe MaiTai Trip.

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, usually that endearing comment from Tracy comes well into the trip, but it came a little early this year.

We leave this Friday for our four-week Central Europe/Italy journey. Last Friday, I had an off-kilter toenail on my big toe, so I thought I could improve upon its stiletto look by taking the clippers and performing a little cosmetic surgery.

Soon, blood was spewing out of my toe and within a couple of hours swelling and redness appeared. Yep, it was an ingrown toenail that i should have not messed with. Obviously, I will never be a cosmetologist.

The next day, I was off to Urgent Care (my home away from home before traveling to Europe). I was put on antibiotics and told to see a Podiatrist Monday. Fortunately, I got my foot in the door Monday, and the doctor performed a delicate toenailectomy to save the trip (and even part of the nail). The toe hurts, but he thinks it will be fine.

Anyway, thanks to all of you have provided me with great info regarding Czech Republic, Poland, Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia. We promise to try and not screw up relations with these countries, although there are no guarantees.

Next stop...Prague!

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put your best foot forward and be sure to toe the line.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM

Oooohhh, Tom!

Methinks Central Europe will never be the same - but this has the makings of another classic trip report.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Why do I think for some reason that you will find miracle remedies in Central European pharmacies?
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM

I cringed when I heard about your toe pain. Carrying a cane wouldn't be a bad idea. We got a lot of sympathy and some special treatment in Europe when I used a cane after arthroscopic surgery.

I hope you have a great time in Central Europe. We loved our trip to Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, etc. in 2006.

Hm, I think Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia may be in my future...

Be sure to give us a good trip report when you return.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM

'Trip' Report... there's a whole load of jokes in there somewhere!

I just wish I was clever enough to come up with some that don't sound lame.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM

Bon voyage to Tom and Tracy. Tom, I know you'll taste all kinds of alcoholic concoctions. Let me know what you think of sliwowicz(sp?)?
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM

Carrying a cane - undoubtedly the airline will charge a fee for that!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM

Watch those uneven cobblestones or there may be more toe surgery in your future!
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM

Ahhh the dreaded toenailectomy !!
I have lived in fear of these since hearing about one years ago...I am SO sorry this happened to you ..
Looking forward to the Tales of the Journey though, even if it is a hobbling journey...gentle pats to the toe..carry on!
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good wishes. Maybe we can get a Toe Truck to take us to the airport.

"Let me know what you think of sliwowicz(sp?)?"

Treesa, I had to look this up.: Wow!

"Real slivovitz contains between 50 and 70% alcohol and can make even hardened drinkers cough and splutter. It will also burst into flames if you wave a lit match over the glass. Good slivovitz should be served in a snifter like any other fine brandy, while low-grade slivovitz should be swilled like any other cheap intoxicant."

I'll try not light the bar on fire when I try one. Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM

LOL...toe truck. Wishing you happy travels and looking forward to the trip report.

I woke up with a swollen foot on Sunday that I can hardly walk on and I leave in less than two weeks. I'm going to the doctor tonight and hoping for a miracle cure. Could be the slowest travel ever if it doesn't vanish as mysteriously as it came. I really hate getting older because you can go to sleep perfectly fine and wake up a wreck!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM

Tom, take those stilettos out of your suitcase NOW

Have a nice trip, and remember: slivovitz kills bacteria from inside (seriously, it's probably should not be mixed with antibiotics, but we'll know for sure if you won't post a report )
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM

Hey MaiTai -- so glad to see you're back in the traveling business -- toe and fro!

I've been waiting for a trip report from you -- didn't you go to the Champagne region sometime last year?

Obviously, we're all excited to see you "on the road again" and will await your return and report!

Don't start Europe on fire with the "s" drink!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

" I'm going to the doctor tonight and hoping for a miracle cure. Could be the slowest travel ever if it doesn't vanish as mysteriously as it came."

This happened to me before my Paris visit in December 2006 (knee not ankle). Ask your doctor about Voltaren ointment (aka Magic Cream) that I was given first night in Paris. It is now available in the U.S.

luvparee, i went to Reims on that December 2006 trip, but only for a day. I think the trip report had Christmas Miracle in the title, but I have killed many brain cells (and toenails) since then.

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM

Have a great time and safe trip. Can't wait to read your trip report!
mv
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just don't tiptoe through the tulips

Bon Voyage
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM

Ouch Tom! Well at least you perfomed surgery on your toe at home and not while on the road.

If your toe starts hurting you while you are travelling perhaps pouring some of that swil "whatever" over your toe might be a good idea. That might kill all of the pain. Just don't light an match afterwards!

But seriously, wishing you and your Tracy a beautiful and healthy trip!
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Listen to Faina and remove the stilettos from your luggage. Replace with moleskin.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

Alas I live in Canada but I'll ask the doctor if we have the magic cream in Canada...if not perhaps I can get some in Paris on my way thru.

Thanks for the tip!! Lots of red wine should help as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -