Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Tom Cruises Into Berlin for Movie Shoot; Stirring Local Hackles

Tom Cruises Into Berlin for Movie Shoot; Stirring Local Hackles

Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Tom Cruises Into Berlin for Movie Shoot; Stirring Local Hackles

Tom Cruise is shooting a movie in Berlin right now so anyone there can catch some of the hoopla i guess - if anyone cares to.

The movie, Valkrie stars Mr. Scientology as Col. Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg (that's a mouthful!), the dude famous for leading a almost, should have been successful plot to assasinate Hitler.

Filming shot last weekend at the Finance Ministry, once the Nazis' Aviation Ministry and one of the few intact Nazi-era buildings in Berlin, resulted in several injuries after they apparently fell off a truck when a bolt broke.

CONTROVERSIAL IN DEUTSCHLAND

The German government has for years carried on a persecution of Scientology, which Tom is a devoted adherent, on the grounds i believe that it is a cult and his filming here is not welcome by some locals.

Though i personally find Scientology foolish and Cruise (and John Revolta and Greta von Slutteren and other famous Scientologists) idiots for believe such things as we are derived from aliens coming down years ago and colonizing the Earth, etc. i just don't agree with the German government's war on them.

Don't they have freedom of religion and freedom to make yourself foolish?
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

Tom Cruise is a very verbal spokesperson for Scientology. If he were to practice his religion quietly, people would leave him in peace as well.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM

> i just don't agree with the German government's war on them.

The number of ordinary persons (i.e. not with T. Cruise´s deep pockets) swindled out of their entire funds is appalling. The German government views Scientology not as a religious organisation but as a revenue-oriented organisation employing fraudulent business tactics - and I mostly agree with this position. Just calling yourself a "church" doesn´t suddenly make all your previously illegal activities legal, at least not here.
They don´t do anything different from those guys swindling tourists out of their money in Rome or Paris - just on bigger scale.
Maybe those much-mentioned "gypsies" should go to Hollywood and style themselves a "church" so the fraud they commit becomes legal?
>Don't they have freedom of religion?
Yes. You are free to believe in scientology crap as much as you want, also in Germany.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM

I think Cruise debliberately makes statements that he knows to be provocative in order to give a little jump start to his flagging image. Then, of course, he can always play the religious discrimination card.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

highwall - now that you've explained it i wholly agree with the government action

even though the Catholic church thru the ages i think did much the same.

Search this Thread