Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   tolls on the Autostrada... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tolls-on-the-autostrada-125655/)

Kimerley May 23rd, 2001 04:37 AM

tolls on the Autostrada...

hope some one can help. Can I pay the tolls with cash?Or can I pre pay it..not keen to use our credit cards. <BR> We will be driving from Sorrento to Perugia in one day. Have a rough guide from the michelin site..unsure of how many times we pay. <BR>For example in Australia I use our M2 from home to Sydney about 25km and I pay different amounts at 3 places. <BR>Broad question I know but a rough guide would be helpful. <BR>thanks

stacey May 23rd, 2001 05:14 AM

Hi Kimerley - <BR> <BR>I was there last month. You can definitely pay cash. I wasn't on the road too much, but it seemed to me that each toll was 6000 lira. I used my credit card a few times, with no problems. Have fun.

wes fowler May 23rd, 2001 06:26 AM

The following is from the "Italy" section of the website: <BR>www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa <BR> <BR>"Tolls are charged on the autostrade. Tickets are obtained upon entry to the expressway system and paid upon exiting. Tolls (except in Sicily) can be paid with cash or a Viacard. Motorists can purchase a 50,000 or 90,000 lire Viacard from toll booths, fuel stations, some banks, tourist offices, and tobacconists. Viacards are accepted on all routes except the A18 and A20. At automatic barriers, the card should be inserted into a slot on the controlling machine. The lanes which accept credit cards are signed by a large "T" and by small icons of the various card companies and are usually the rightmost lanes. You do not have to sign a receipt when you use a credit card. Personnel rather than machines do work certain lanes." <BR> <BR>There is a lengthy section on the website that deals with autostrada tolls including the fees for various routes. <BR> <BR>

Paulo May 23rd, 2001 07:29 AM

If you're not visiting Orvieto enroute, your "normal" route from Sorrento to Perugia would be to enter the Autostrada in Castellamare di Stabia and to leave it in Orte. <BR> <BR>If I'm not wrong, you'll have to pay 3 times: at Castellamare di Stabia entry point (lit 2,000), at the Napoli Sud barrier (Lit 2,000) and at the Orte exit (Lit 24,000). I wouldn't be surprised if toll prices have increased somewhat. <BR> <BR>I've never had any problems paying cash, anywhere in Italy. I don't remember the details in the Naples area. I would guess that your "critical" point will be the Napoli Sud barrier. You should make sure to get to an attended booth if you're paying with cash. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Jackie May 23rd, 2001 07:36 AM

All tolls are paid in cash or tokens, there is an excellent web site Autostrade.it, which gives maps, charges etc

Kimerley May 24th, 2001 04:52 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. This holiday has been planned via this site and your wonderful assistance. Hate to think what the trip would be like if I did not have you mob to help.. <BR>grazie, grazie, grazie <BR>Kim.

Betsy May 24th, 2001 08:04 PM

Kimerley <BR> <BR>We had no trouble using a credit card at each toll stop on the autostrade. Convenient, quick, easy. Don't be reluctant to do this. We used a Mastercard.