Winery tours in Reims

Search

Winery tours in Reims

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winery tours in Reims

Next month my wife and i will be in Paris for a week and going on a day trip to Reims.
I am looking for feedback as to which Champagne winery to visit.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM

I am going to Reims next week as part of my weeklong trip to Paris. I am going on a private tour but can tell what we visit and my opinion of the experience.

From what I've learned so far, winery tasting in France is different than in the US in that most are open by appt/reservation only. Hence the tour to ease my preparation burden. Next visit will be self guided. DH promised a purely wine focused trip on our next France trip.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

We are looking at the big champagne houses based in Reims, Mumm, Tattinger, Veuve Cliquot,Pommery. As we are on a day trip we will visit only one champagne house and are decide which offers the interesting tour
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM

I know we are going to Mumm, and at least one other house (unknown at this time). I am hoping Veuve Cliquot. I will give you an update next week on Mumm at a minimum.

A note on the perspective I take when visiting wineries so you know what to expect in my opinion update... It is not to get the "free" drink at the end of the tour. I love the wine making process, vine to the table. As for Champagne, I like seeing the Riddling process, the chalk caves...So I would prefer a better tour than the better Champagne.

So hopefully this trip proves interesting, enlightening and informative, to us both.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM

We are going in July and I had asked for similar advice... We finally decided to book at tour at Veuve Clicquot - people have said they offer the best tours of the caves etc. Also, this is what we drink primarily, and I've bought a book about Widow Cliquot's life and her rise in the champagne industry.

We also plan to visit (but not tour Pommery)...as we got lots of feedback that this is a nice, "pretty" one to visit. I contacted them and they indicated that it is no problem to pop in for a tasting... no need to do the tour if not wanted.

I've heard Mumm is within walking distance of the train station, so this might be of interest as well.

If you are in Reims all day, I think you could easily do one tour and one tasting/visit. Hope this helps!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM

I visited both VC and Pommery and recommend the tours at both of these.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM

maxmox-
I bought "The Widow Clicquot" when it was mentioned by you in your thread on Books on France and am enjoying it. I hope to finish before I leave for Paris Tuesday morning, at least on the plane.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

I've been on the Tattinger and Veuve tour and preferred the Veuve tour, though my favoirt of the big houses is Moet in Epernay. Seeing the caves in interesting, particulalry hearing how they were used in WWII. Having worked at a winery I sorta feel that once you've seen one large winery you've seem them all. My favorite visits have been to small family owned wineries. I was fortunate enough to visit a small winery in Dizzy (ironic town name for Champagne) and it was really fun. The family Lab followed us everywhere. The tasting was great afterward in their centuries old house. If you do this plan on buying at least a couple of bottles as a courtesy to the owner. Dizzy is also near Dom Perignon's grave. I stopped to pay homage!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM

I have been trying to book a tour at VC on their website but can't seem to get past my birthdate...very difficult to type in numbers. Anyone else having this problem.
Would we have to take a taxi from the train station to VC?
We will be there next week.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

I went almost 20 years ago. Back then I don't think Veuve Cliquot was exporting much to the US. In fact I think they said their primary markets were in Europe, like Italy.

They were a smaller house and if I remember correctly, they manually riddled the wine with some old man who'd been doing it for like 40-50 years. In contrast, larger houses like Moet/Domaine Chandon had mechanized process.

The one memorable thing was that at one of the larger houses, Moet I think it was, they had this beautiful, tall brunette in a dark blazer and skirt give the tour.

Her command of English wasn't that great but she spoke with a French-British accent! The first time I've heard that combo.

She was enchanting!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

littlecl - I'm glad you are enjoying the Veuve book. I have mine in hand, but have not started reading it yet, as I had ordered 4 books to read after posting that thread (and want to order more!) Currently reading A Town Like Paris. Widow Cliquot will be next...!

Still wondering if we should add a small champagne house to our itinerary, but not sure which.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM

During our last trip to Paris in October, we easily took a train ride into Reims for the day. We had already booked a tour with Clicquot and spent a few hours there. It was quite enjoyable and we stayed after the tour and enjoyed a bottle of their reserve champagne. After completing the Clicquot tour, we all agreed that one tour was sufficient. This also left us time to explore other sites in Reims.

Cornelius, the website for Veuve Clicquot changed a bit but after you type in your birthdate, click on the Corporate Website (not the Season 2009) and you will see Visits on the bottom. From here you will be able to type in your info and reserve a tour.

-Roberta
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I am looking forward to my holiday in France, but not the 21 hours in a plane to get there
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM

21 hours?

Australia?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Melbourne.
14 hours to Dubai then 7 to Paris.
And I can never sleep on a plane
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM

So I just got back from my Paris Trip. Awesome time.
Just a quick review of my Champagne Trip.
We arranged a tour with Paris Trips (dot com)
There was only 5 others in the van with us, all American. All were easy to get along with and were friendly.
Claud was our driver.

We visited Moet & Chandon in Epernay 1st. After a stop n Reims for lunch and cathedral visit we visited the Mumm champagne house in Reims in the afternoon.
The tours were both very good. They coved different things in depth. I like the cellars better at Moet and they took you through were Dom Perignon was fermenting and being riddled as well. Mumm’s had more displays and kind of museum at the end of the tour with some old school equipment, Mumm’s looked staged in the area where the tour was, Moet seemed to be more in actual use and the cellar itself was more interesting. I think both together covered the champagne making process completely though.
As for tasting…Our tour had the normal tasting. Both cellars had opportunities to taste Vintage, or comparison taste higher end Champagnes’. We all would have upgraded had we known or been afforded the opportunity, I think. Otherwise it is just a small glass. No ideas what the tours and tasting cost as they came with our trip.
We did see things on our van tour that we might not have seen otherwise had we gone by train to Reims. A beautiful Chateau, that was one of the “Veuve Clicquot’s” on the way to Epernay. Dom Perignon’s tomb at a tiny church in Haute Villger-some people took a cab there while we were visiting though.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM

How much was the trip?

The champagne houses didn't use to charge but they supposedly have started to require appointments.

Only two houses for one day? They drove you from Paris and back?
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM

They picked us up at the hotel and drove us around the region and drove us back to our hotel in the evening. €155 pp. Worth it for a 1st time visit to the region. Next time I’ll take the train and make appts at the houses I want to visit.

We only went to 2 - one in Epernay in the morning, one in Reims in the afternoon. The tours each lasted an hour +/- 15 min. Between we saw some of the sights, had a nice lunch (Not included).

The houses require appts but I think only charge for higher level tastes, vintage and the like. The appts/reservations seem to be so different language tour groups can be accommodated, at least at the larger houses. The appts seem to be on the hour/half hour .
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tt
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM

For information on champagne Houses with tours/tastings

http://www.maisons-champagne.com/tra...ommaire_gb.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -