Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How similar are Greece (mainland) and Turkey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I would like to know the answer. We went to Turkey (Istanbul and Selcuk/Ephasus) last year on vacation and had a great time. We are considering Greece as an option for next year's vacation and although we loved Turkey we want to go somewhere different. We both love history, ruins, etc so Greece sounds like a natural choice and doesn't appear to be too rainy in early May. My husband is concerned that "Greece will feel too much like Turkey" (in his words).

We would have a week and would stick to the mainland, probably Athens and then a base or two on the Peloponese. For those who have been to both this region of Greece and Turkey, would you mind giving me your thoughts?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM

"Greece will feel too much like Turkey"........

Would that be in terms of the architecture, countryside and views or the culture? Greece is Orthodox Christian and Turkey is Muslim so on some levels culturally there's a huge difference. The people are friendly and helpful in both countries. The local cuisine is different. Beaches are very similar. Prices are lower in Turkey. Greece has been exposed to modern tourism radar longer so overall there is a more developed infrastructure that caters to visitors there. More people in the various tourist trades speak English in Greece than in Turkey.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response brotherleelove. I guess I was thinking more in terms of geography/views/countryside, and maybe some of the sites. From pictures it looks like the terrain is pretty similar, but it's hard for me to compare by just looking at some photos of Greece.

Tracy
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Tracy - I've been to the Greece mainland (Athens, Delphi and part of the Peloponnese) (also to the islands) and to Istanbul but nowhere else in Turkey. I found Istanbul and Athens to be totally different, and both worth doing. Since I didn't go to Selcuk or Ephasus I can't say if they are different from Delphi and the Peloponnese but from what I've read they are.

Here's a link to my trip report and photos from Greece,maybe it will help. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

isabel, thank you for your thoughts and your pictures. Seeing pictures definitely helps, and you take gorgeous photos!

Tracy
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Ephesus is beyond anything that I saw in Greece. Istanbul is a city unto its own.

However, the Parthenon and Acropolis in Athens is also wonderful. The monestaries in Meteora are just unbelievable!!! Athens has a completely different feel to it than Istanbul. Take a hydrofoil to Hydra as a daytrip for a quaint island.

I loved them both.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Joann, thank you for your response. Did you think that Greece, overall, looked similar to Turkey geographically?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Both countries have dry parts, rocky parts, both have pebbly beaches and sandy beaches ... Greek islands have very different architecture -- more whitewashed buildings, blue shutters on the Cycladic islands ... other islands & the mainland, buildings are golden or off white stucco or stone, with terracotta roofs .. both countries have mountains, Greece is probably more mountainous. In Greece almost everywhere you are aware of the sea, because even on the mainland, almost everyplace is within 30 minutes drive of the sea .. but are you going somewhere strictly for landscape? The countries are vastly different culturally and historically ... in how people socialize, the lively arts ... in GReece people show their emotions more, music and dance are important... MEN dance (unlike USA), Men talk to women a lot, unlike USA ... modern Greek women are quite independent, some quite chic, you see a lot of energy ... Turkey is much more traditional in terms of women's roles ... For me as a modern woman, a Muslim country is not as attractive, but you may feel differently.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 02:18 AM

Are Italy and Spain similar? Are Portugal and Spain similar? In case you've got a very shorted mind observation they might look similar but in my opinion Turkey and Greece are completely different!! I would suggest you to spend less time in Athens and more time in the islands.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:14 AM

Turkey is like Greece 25 years ago.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:04 AM

Marko, that may apply to facilities, roads etc ... attitudes & culture are another thing. A man may not notice, women certainly will.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I was mostly referring to geographically and historically, since we saw quite a few Greek ruins along the Turkish coast. We are just looking for something different.

Honestly, as a women I did not feel in any way disrespected while in Turkey. I was treated very kindly. I wore the same things that I would wear at home or on vacation, with the exception of covering my head when I went into a mosque. The people in Turkey were among the nicest I have met on any of my travels.

Sounds like the countries differ enough that we can feel comfortable visiting without feeling like we are, in a way, recreating our Turkey trip. We were going to focus on the mainland but now we are thinking an island or two. That would definitely give us a different feel.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:26 AM

For me as a modern woman, a Muslim country is not as attractive, but you may feel differently.

Turkey is a secular not a religious state with plenty of 'modern' modern women pursuing careers. It also has more traditional areas, where things are different, but you cannot make such a sweeping generalisation. It is a country of many parts which are all very different. If you go, will find a fascinating country with lovely people.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM

The turkish people are very welcoming (if somewhat reserved). My wife who is six foot tall and very blonde felt very relaxed if somewhat the centre of attention in Turkey ( unlike Mexico but thats a different story !!)

We would be very happy to return to Turkey. My previous comment was in rference to the fact that we have visited Greece twice...25 years apart, it didn't have the friendly feel it did 25 years ago.