Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Toledo or Segovia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/toledo-or-segovia-1010468/)

creolekid81 Apr 4th, 2014 07:28 AM

Toledo or Segovia

Hi,

My wife and I are ending our 2 week European vacation with 3 nights in Madrid. We want to take a day trip to either Toledo or Segovia but can't decide which would be a better visit. This will be our first trip to Europe so we are basically trying to see as much as possible. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

BigRuss Apr 4th, 2014 07:38 AM

Toledo. No question.

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 07:38 AM

Flip a coin.

Toledo is probably more touristy - if that makes any difference. We enjoyed both equally.

Stu Dudley

PalenQ Apr 4th, 2014 07:43 AM

Both are great but Toledo to me is even nicer than Segovia, as a city - the whole of Toledo on its hill is like a museum - Segovia is a more modern city with some gems, like the famous Alcazar Castle that in part, along with other castles like Neuschwanstein in Bavaria and Usse in France's Loire Valley inspired Walt Disney's Cinderella Castle standing at the entry to Dinsey parks. as a model for his Disneyland castle - .

I think most folks would like Toledo better - one of Europe's finest thoroughly looking ancient towns. Avila is another day trip option that is nice, especially if interested in St Teresa of Avila, with many spots there associated with her times here.

spanishsarah47 Apr 4th, 2014 08:05 AM

Went to both, and Toledo has my heart!! I agree with PalenQ "the whole of Toledo on its hill is like a museum." The best part of my day there was just quietly walking the streets and enjoying the sunshine. It's absolutely breathtaking.

PalenQ Apr 4th, 2014 08:19 AM

I think Toledo is also significantly closer to Madrid by train than Segovia.

IMDonehere Apr 4th, 2014 08:31 AM

Madrid to Segovia on one of the high speed trains is about 40 minutes. On the regular regional train 2 hours.

Madrid to Toledo on a high speed train about 1/2 hour.

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 08:44 AM

Actually, the train station in Toledo is a "must see", IMO.

Stu Dudley

Christina Apr 4th, 2014 08:51 AM

I enjoyed both of them a lot, there is no superior place, they are different IMO. If you have a particular interest in Toledo, of course that would be better. I just took the bus to Segovia, it was easy and drops you off at a convenient location. It only takes a little over an hour by bus. In fact, I took the bus to Toledo, also, it was more convenient than the train IMO. Spain has a lot of good bus services.

this is the bus to Segovia http://www.lasepulvedana.es/index.asp?lang=en

creolekid81 Apr 4th, 2014 09:25 AM

Wow great information everyone. Thank you! Right now we are leaning towards Toledo only because my wife seems fascinated with the idea of visiting the Cathedral.

So we found a tour with great reviews for a one day visit to Toledo. The transportation is via a luxury coach. Do you guys have any recommendations to whether we should book a day tour or just book the train and navigate around on our own? Would it be complicated to see everything on our own in a single day or would the tour be beneficial? Thank you!

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 09:44 AM

You can probably see more on your own. Get the Michelin Green Guide and follow the walking tour described in the guide.

The train station is outside of town and it is an uphill walk to town. We took a taxi to/from the station. A bus might get you closer to the center of Toledo.

Stu Dudley

IMDonehere Apr 4th, 2014 12:39 PM

There are scores of buses and trains from Madrid to Toledo. I agree with Stu Dudley, the Michelin Greens are excellent.

Be sure to cross the river and view the town from parador. Has anyone eaten at the parador recently because the view is spectacular.

Toledo is more of a complete experience, while the aqueduct and the roast suckling pig restaurants in Segovia are more than worthwhile

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 12:42 PM

>> the roast suckling pig restaurants in Segovia are more than worthwhile<<

My wife refused to join me for a suckling pig dinner. She didn't want to see a pig face staring at her while she ate.

Stu Dudley

PalenQ Apr 4th, 2014 01:40 PM

<She didn't want to see a pig face staring at her while she ate>

left yourself open for a joke here but I will not do it!

Christina Apr 4th, 2014 01:52 PM

The bus to Toledo does actually get you closer to the town, that's one reason I preferred it. YOu could walk from it, although a bit uphill, of course, as it's not too far. But there is also a local bus that goes from the main bus depot into the center of Toledo.

bvlenci Apr 4th, 2014 02:09 PM

I like both of them, but Segovia has a real soft spot in my heart.

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 02:33 PM

Thanks PalenQ. I should have said a cooked dead pig without glasses.

Stu Dudley

IMDonehere Apr 4th, 2014 03:00 PM

My wife refused to join me for a suckling pig dinner. She didn't want to see a pig face staring at her while she ate.
______

Why what was SHE eating?

First you do not have to order the face.
Second this is the same squeamishness that makes Americans scream when they see a fish head. The fish and the pig needed their heads at one point before they got to your plate.

kja Apr 4th, 2014 04:00 PM

Both are wonderful; Toledo is IMO extraordinary.

No need for a tour to visit either -- just get a good guide book.

StuDudley Apr 4th, 2014 04:02 PM

She was having tapas at an outdoor cafe in front of our hotel. Then she went to the aqueduct to take pictures late at night.

She doesn't like to see a fish head either. If I bring a live lobster home & put it in the refrig - she goes berserk when she opens the refrig and sees something squiggling around inside. She leaves the kitchen when it's time to cook the lobster. She won't even eat it - which is great for me!! Same with crab. Whimp. She was raised in the Midwest farming country, and I was raised in LA.

>>First you do not have to order the face<<

They brought the whole pig into the dining room with the face attached. Then they proceeded to chop up the pig with plates. She envisioned walking to our table with about a half-dozen pigs staring at her. That's why she didn't even want to join me & order something else. Someone on Fodors provided a link to photos - which did the trick for her.

Stu Dudley