Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Toledo on a Sunday? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/toledo-on-a-sunday-389934/)

madanthony Jan 21st, 2004 05:39 AM

Toledo on a Sunday?

Due to all the other insightful comments I've received from Fodorites, I'm hoping someone can weigh in on yet another question I have: I understand that Sunday is a slow day in Spain--will things be open in Toledo, including restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

kaudrey Jan 21st, 2004 06:09 AM

Hi Melissa,

I hope so, because I am also planning to go on a Sunday (in about 2 1/2 weeks)!

Restaurants will mostly be open normal times (i.e. closed between lunch and late dinner hour, except for tapas places, etc.

Based on my notes, you can time things right and see the main things (and walk around, of course). For Sunday, the Sinagoga del Tránsito is open from 10am to 1:45pm, and the Catherdral is open from 2 to 6:30. The Alcazar is normally open from 9:30 to 2, but I think it is closed for renovations anyway, so it wouldn't matter what day you went.

I plan to bus down in the morning, visit the Sinagoga, walk around the Jewish quarter, have lunch, visit the Cathedral, walk around more, then head back to Madrid in the early evening.

Not sure when you are going, but I think it's after me if I remember from your other posts. If so, look for my trip report in late February, and you can see how it went!

Karen

madanthony Jan 21st, 2004 06:27 AM

Hey Karen,

Thanks for yet more great advice. I do remember from the other thread that you're headed to Spain in February--how exciting! I will certainly look for your trip notes when you return (no pressure).

We're going in late April (14-24). Do you think it's better to plan everything out (like hotels) in advance or wait until the last minute (for deals, as we're on a budget) or try to plan it as you go along. My gut tells me to do most of the planning now. I doubt that we'll be departing too much from our trip plans (i.e. # of days spent in certain places). What do you think?

Have fun!
Melissa

Maribel Jan 21st, 2004 01:56 PM

madanthony,
As far as I know, the Alcázar is still closed for renovations, but the Sephardic Museum/Sinagoga del Tránsito has now reopened, and Karen gave you the hrs. (as we know them...).

Here are the other SUN. hrs. I have:
Cathedral: 2:30-6 (for visits rather than mass)

Casa/Museo de El Greco: 10-2

Hospital de Tavera: 10:30-1:30, 3:30-6

Mezquita del Cristo de la Luz: any reasonable time, tip the gardener, says Fodors Spain '04

Iglesia de Santo Tomé (for El Greco's masterpiece, the Burial of Count Orgaz):
10-6:45 (closes 5:45 in winter)

Monastery San Juan de los Reyes:
10-6:45 (winter closes at 5:45)

Museo de Santa Cruz: 10-2

Sinagoga Santa María la Blanca: 10-1:45,
3:30-6:45 (winter closes 1 hr. earlier)

kaudrey Jan 21st, 2004 02:52 PM

Thanks for the additional information, Maribel!

Melissa, I am definitely not the Spain expert, so I don't know about hotels. I booked all of my hotels in advance (but only last month). But I am a planner, so it's in my nature to book ahead.

Is your trip over Semana Santa, or after? If it is during, you might want to book ahead (I don't have a calendar in front of me). You could probably wing it. I just don't like to waste time once I am in a place looking for somewhere to stay. But you could wait another month or so and I'm sure you'd be fine.

BTW - I found a good deal for Madrid: buy 3 nights get one free from www.hotelpronto.com at High Tech Ducal Petit Palace. I'm sure it was a winter special, but it's a good website.

Also, try www.hotelsearch.com. It actually looks at a bunch of websites to find deals - it often gives several prices for each hotel, and the website where the price can be found, so you can search for special deals.

Hope this helps a little!
Karen