Search

Toledo anniversary dinner suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toledo anniversary dinner suggestions?

Hello,
My sister & I would like to arrange for my parents to have a special dinner in Toledo the night of their 49th wedding anniversary in April. Any suggestions for somewhere memorable that takes reservations? And if I can make a reservation, what's the best way to go about doing that?
Thanks for your input - this is my very 1st posting!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Kristen,
We love Locum on Calle Locum, just around the corner from the cathedral.

For a very special meal, we prefer it to the more expensive Adolfo and the more casual roasting tavern fare at the Hostal del Cardenal, which belongs to the owners of Madrid's legendary Sobrinos de Botín.

Locum is less known, a gourmet spot that goes under the radar, as it doesn't appear in all the travel guides. But it's known to the local foodies. It's housed in a lovely 17th century typical Toledo 3 story home. The cuisine is creative and really memorable, the service impeccable, the wine list interesting. For us it's worth a train trip to Toledo just to dine here. For us it's a special treat.

I think your parents would enjoy it, and that is a lovely gesture!

You can reserve at www.locum.es

Closed Mon. night and Tuesdays.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM
kja

Hi, KristinPDX -

Far be it from me to question Maribel, but I thought I would mention that I thoroughly enjoyed a dinner at the Hostal del Cardenal. The food was delicious, the service was excellent, and I loved the setting - a lovely courtyard surrounded by glorious vegetation.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I agree with Maribel, but I prefer the decoration of Adolfo, classical, than the minimalist at Locum. Take a look at http://www.grupoadolfo.com/el-restaurante.html, and make a choice.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Kristin,
Very good points made by josele and kja.

Adolfo does have the more opulent decor, I do agree with josele. If price isn't an issue, you might want to choose it. The classical decor and feel of the restaurant might make their dinner more memorable. Their degustation menu goes for 66€, and going with this tasting menu is the best and least expensive way to dine here, I think.
A la carte will run around 70 p.p. And Adolfo does have a spectacular wine list.

If your parents have eaten at Sobrinos de Botín in Madrid, the menu at the Hostal del Cardenal is similar. But if they haven't experienced Botín, and if it's nice enough weather to dine outside on the terrace (as kja says), I'm sure they would enjoy it as well.

Choose which you think fits your parents best.

All 3 get the same 2 fork rating in the Michelin red.

Locum receives 1 "sol" (like a Michelin star) in the Campsa guide, while Adolfo gets 2.

In Gourmetour Adolfo gets an impressive 8.25 rating (up from last year) and Locum a 7.
If all of this rating stuff makes any difference whatsoever!

Josele, have you tried the new outpost of Goizeko in the Hilton Buenavista?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Not been to Toledo since last July. I'll probably take a look next time, and shall coment.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM

now i am very excited to try this new LOCUM restaurant. Thanks for posting.

a place i always like to stop is cason de lopez de toledo. www.casontoledo.com

they will most certainly pass it on one of their strolls. if they can take a peak upstairs at the restaurant, it is very attractive, as is their bar/café on main floor.

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Hi lin,
I like Casón de los López too.

We discovered Locum while on our way to the bar/café at Casón and decided to try Locum. I was very impressed with the quality, the presentation and the service-sophisticated dining in a "minimalist" but interesting setting.

And for a "destination restaurant" with a prestigious Campsa sol, it doesn't break the bank, particularly with its set menus.

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much for your responses! I made a reservation for my parents at Locum, which I think they will love.

I also wrote down all your other recommendations because my sister & I will be in Toledo with my parents and will need a place to eat that night.

This has been great fun - I'm off to see if anyone has any questions about Oregon or the Pacific NW so that I can return the favor. Cheeers!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:30 AM

We had a great meal at Hostal del Cardenal (and hadn't gone to Botín in Madrid). Although I think it would be a good choice, I would take Maribel's advice as I bet Locum would be even better. We took several of her suggestions on places in Barcelona & Madrid and we were never disappointed.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM

A Spanish friend who lives in and is from Toledo took us to Locum when it first openned. As I remember the food was excellent and sophisticated. The decor was minmalist but in a older building typical of Toledo, loved. It was atypical for Toledo, a nice surprise.