Tofu in Italy and Spain

May 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Tofu in Italy and Spain

Will I be able to find Tofu in big supermarkets in Barcelona and Milan?
Is it easy to find? or to I have to go to the natural food stores or Chinatown? Which ones are the big natural food stores in Milan and Barcelona that I can find Tofu?

Debbie
May 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM

In BCN you can get tofu at any Caprabo, Champion or Carrefour. . . however Santiveri is a fantastic little natural foods store that is all over the city.

Also, per your question about Chinatown, Barcelona doesn't have one of those. There is an Arabic quarter, the Gothic Quarter, and the Born, but none specialize in natural foods.
May 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info! I can;t wait to visit beautiful Barcelona. I am leaving next week.
Jun 1st, 2006, 01:59 AM

Excuse my curiosity please, you buy tofu and what do you do with it when you are on a trip? Or you are moving in there?
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I have a travel cooking pot which I can heat up tofu to eat if I want to. I have severe food allergies so I have to be very careful when I travel. Soy products are safe food for me. It may taste bland for most people, but I have gotten used to it. I seasoned it with some salt and pepper.

Debbie
Jun 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM

I don't know what your food allergies are, but on Junt de Commerç St. (coming from the Ramblas on Hospital St., it is the second on your left. . . connecting to Sant Pau) there is a great place called Orgànic that serves delicious vegetarian cuisine. The buffet is 8€, and you will leave more than full. Tofu is a common ingredient for them to use in their entrees. I loved the tortilla de tofu, which is made with eggs.
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!! I will definitely check out that place.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM

Debbie thank you for the explanation. I don't find tofu bland. I'm used to eat Japanese sort, very smooth one like custard pudding, so much different from European (cheese like hard) one. In Asian food shops, in Europe and in US, you can often find tofu in longlife paper container that don't need to be refrigerated. If you cannot get fresh one, this one is not too bad. Why not bring a few of such from home for "emergency" ? The most common brand I see is Morinaga for such long life tofu.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:34 AM

Barcelona may not have a "Chinatown," but it certainly has an very large and noticeable immigrant Chinese population and Chinese stores concentrated in the Barri Gotic near Park de la Ciudadella. I don't know if you can buy tofu around there, but you sure can buy a lot of cheap Chinese goods.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:14 AM

Sunnysky/Debbie:

here's some info for Barcelona:

Superstore Asia Food
Calle Tallers 77
Tel. 93 317 8976

Chinese vegetables, pasta for spring rolls and every kind of noodle you could ever imagine fill the shelves of this busy grocery store, which sits in the heart of the Raval district. Though Asian specialities and sauces are the store's focus, you can get a few international goodies like peanut butter and Ritz crackers here too.

Sakura-Ya
Centro Comercial L'illa Diagonal
Tel. 93 301 1961

In the lower floor of the L'illa shopping centre, this small stand sells everything you need to make Japanese food at home. You can buy ingredients for sushi dried seaweed, rice vinegar, wasabi and ginger and you'll also find the tools you'll need to make and serve it. Prepared foods, cookbooks and Japanese desserts are available too. If you want to try before you buy, head next door to the good Japanese restaurant, under the same ownership.

Also, there is a woman named Alice Twain who posts on the Slow Travel website who lives in Milan and is a "foodie" who loves sushi, etc., and likes to discuss recipes and restaurants. I'm sure she would be happy to help you if you ask your question on the Italy message board over there.

Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the food shopping info. It is a real hassle to travel with food allergies.