Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Todi, Gubbio, or Spoleto? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/todi-gubbio-or-spoleto-523106/)

PaoloCast Apr 21st, 2005 12:34 PM

Todi, Gubbio, or Spoleto?

Staying in Perugia and looking at one of these for a day out. Which one and why?

PalQ Apr 21st, 2005 12:40 PM

Found Todi great hill town but over gentrified - many rich folks have bought houses in area - Gubbio was great - old town but not glitzy - actually was almost hit by a stone falling off a roof there - that's the type of town it is - very old, nice bus ride from Perugia if sans car. Thus Todi would be better if into antique shops, swank caffes; Gubbio if not into this. Both great great places. Spoleto is supposed to be neat too but didn't go there. Loved Perugia and Perugina chocolates too!

DonnaD44 Apr 21st, 2005 01:08 PM

I'd vote for Gubbio too! You MUST try out the "birdcage" funicular, that makes one feel as if they are flying up the side of the mountain without a net. Great pottery, restaurants and the ancient Roman ruins at the bottom of the hill are beautiful.

mermaid_ Apr 21st, 2005 01:37 PM

We haven't been to Spoleto, but really liked both Todi and Gubbio. I think, however, Gubbio has the slighter edge, not in the least part because of that funicular that Donna mentions! It is so much fun to ride up the hill on that contraption, and the church at the top is very pretty. When we were there, my husband and I had lunch at the cafe on the square next to the church. There was a wedding going on at the same time the world soccer matches were being played. Every five minutes a batch of young men with wedding tuxes on would slip into the cafe to catch the latest score before hightailing it back to the wedding! It was so funny to watch, and made for a great travel memory.

JudyC Apr 21st, 2005 01:39 PM

I stayed at Gubbio and Spoleto 4 nights each, and daytripped to Todi last October.

All of them are beautiful Medieval towns. Gubbio is the least visited by tourists, the Piazza Grande is the most lovely one in Umbria. Spoleto has better museums and more interesting market, much busier than Gubbio.

Traveler863 Apr 21st, 2005 04:20 PM

Been to all, favorite is Gubbio. Gubbio is the most tucked away town with best charm of the 3. Though I do like Speleto as well, the bridge is great and some hiking possibilities from there, if thats your cup of tea. Todi is great too, hard not to like any of them...but my least favorite of the 3.

For Gubbio, if you are arriving by car the road is good and scenic, fun to drive for motoring enthusists. You can also opt to drive up to the basilica vs. taking the funicular. There is a left you need to take just as you are entering town from the west, it should be marked. The road is very twisty but wide. Viewing St. Ubaldo is quite an experience. Enjoy your trip wherever you decide.

Dayle Apr 21st, 2005 04:25 PM

Wow, I'm so gald you are confirming my decision to visit Gubbio! I thought it sounded like a wonderful town. Already been to Todi and liked it too.

I'm staying at the Palazzo Ducale and driving. Should I park near the funicular and ride up? Just haven't asked the hotels for driving directions yet.

Thanks for letting me tag on!

Should I

Traveler863 Apr 21st, 2005 05:33 PM

Dayle,
I'm not familiar with where that hotel is located in Gubbio. I do know there's really no real parking near the funicular as its on the higher part of town where you'd have to wind through the narrow streets to reach it. Best parking is at the base of town, big grassy lot as I recall. Hotel may give you a better closer place but really if the funicular is closer take it or if driving suits your fancy and not far from your car its certainly easy and a rather pleasant drive, there is also other things to see and do up there as well where a car would be handy. Inquire with your hotel on the parking issue and definitely ask directions to drive up....though as I recall it was well marked. Happy travels.

janemc Apr 21st, 2005 06:36 PM

Don't miss Taverna Del Lupo for lunch or dinner. The pottery in Gubbio is over the top!!

Dayle Apr 22nd, 2005 06:00 AM

Thanks Jane and Traveler,

Yes, the ceramics are one of my major objectives!

My next round of e mails to my hotels are for parking details and directions.....