Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   To those who helped convince me to take an independent tour, I need opinions on a few hotels Rome/Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/to-those-who-helped-convince-me-to-take-an-independent-tour-i-need-opinions-on-a-few-hotels-rome-florence-147354/)

michelle Jul 19th, 2001 03:37 PM

To those who helped convince me to take an independent tour, I need opinions on a few hotels Rome/Florence

It's odd but I couldnt find many of these hotels on Fodors or Frommers. Your thoughts experiences are appreciated (and yes I plan to check charmingflorence.com)... <BR> <BR>Rome: <BR>Savoy, Colona Palace, Quirinale, Palatino, Genova, Regency (I want central locales and I know some of these are) <BR> <BR>Florence: GH Baglione, Pierre, Adriatico, Crocede Malta, Berchielli.

Thyra Jul 19th, 2001 04:36 PM

Sorry Michelle, I would love to help you, but I've only stayed in the Casci in Florence which I highly recommend and the Roma hotel in Rome which was fine for us, but I don't usually recommend it since I've never seen it in any books and can't find it online.. <BR>I am interested in how you picked your short-list? If you didn't find them online.. <BR>Just curious.. Have you checked out the rants and raves section??I am using it quite a lot for our upcoming Spring trip.

adrienne Jul 19th, 2001 07:14 PM

Hi Michelle, <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Hotel Quirinale last year. It’s centrally located and close to the train station. The room and bath were a decent size. If you do choose the Quirinale then ask for an inner room or a quiet room since the area is very noisy during the night. My choice for the next visit would be around Piazza Navonna or Campo de Fiori since they’re more charming than the Quirinale area and have more restaurant choices. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR> <BR>

Steve Jul 20th, 2001 03:20 AM

Hi Michelle, <BR>the Berchielli is rather nice for Florence and as for Rome, if you want to find some places central, then as you are going to check the charmingflorence website they have one on Rome too. you will be able to find which ones are central from selecting the area you want then you will see what is central and what isn't. I don't know if any of these will be on the charmings web sites, but you might as well look. <BR>PS What type of hotel are you looking for, how much do you want to spend?

carol Jul 20th, 2001 06:01 AM

Hands down, the Colonna Palace has the best location. It's on a huge pedestrian-only piazza which it shares with the Italian Parliament (Chamber of Deputies)and the Hotel Nazionale, and is a 5-minute walk from Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo. It couldn't be more centrally located. I've stayed there, and found it a perfectly acceptable place. Its best feature is a roof terrace where breakfast is served in warm weather. The Hotel Nazionale looks more luxurious and is where the Deputies stay (so I've heard) when Parliament is in session. You might want to check it out also--just make sure it's the one on the Piazza Montecitorio.

Lori Jul 20th, 2001 06:10 AM

We stayed at the Quirinale in March 1998. I liked it, the area was nice, the number 64 bus stops right outside (this is the main tourist bus). Walked everywhere, staff was really helpful. Large rooms, but definitely ask for an inner room. The rooms right on the Via Nationale were noisy.

Diane Jul 20th, 2001 04:26 PM

Michelle: I've stayed at the Savoy in Rome. It was very nice, but the best part was the location. You can walk everywhere and its just off the via Venento. Great restaurants within walking distance too.

Kris Jul 20th, 2001 07:06 PM

Michelle...we are just back from Rome and Florence where we traveled independently...wouldn't do it any other way....we stayed at the Palio Bianco, right next to Spanish Steps and right above the metro...rally enjoyed it. In Florence, we stayed at the Croce di Malta,,,in walking distance from the train station....real good restaurant in Florence is Il Banchino on Via del Banci...very small but great food and ambience....re: hotels...remember to take your own wash cloth....Italians appaarently don't know what those are! only problem at Palio Bianco was breakfast is served in your room and everyday is the same...hard cold rolls, coffee, cappucino, juice and same pastry...if you are not there long, it will be ok,,,but we were there 5 days and had to find our way to mcdonalds...didn't mean to be wordy...enjoy your trip

Carol Jul 23rd, 2001 10:42 AM

We recently stayed at the Colonna Palace. The location is excellent...the room was large but not impressive. The rooftop breakfast room has a wonderful view of Rome. <BR> <BR>We also stayed at the Portoghesi in the same neighborhood. Much smaller but totally renovated so everything is new and very clean. <BR> <BR>Any questions, just write.

Byrd Jul 23rd, 2001 12:00 PM

Michelle- <BR>We (10 of us!) are booked at the Grand Hotel Baglione in Florence for late October. It looks fine, and the rooftop restaurant apparently has a wonderful view. If you decide on the GH Baglione and stay there before we do, I'd certainly love to hear your comments! <BR>Byrd <BR> <BR>

peter Jul 24th, 2001 05:31 AM

My wife and I are leaving this thursday for Rome Florence, Tuscany and Venice. We are staying at the Hotel Imperial Palace in Rome, I have only heard great things, 4Star hotel, and then in Florence staying at the Hotel D'Arts, one of the Ferragamo family hotels, Very cool. Good luck.

topping Feb 13th, 2002 08:19 AM

Has anyonr been to the GH Baglione in Florence yet? I am thinking about staying there.

Lori Feb 14th, 2002 06:13 AM

We stayed at a small hotel in Florence located halfway between the Duomo and the Accademia, convenient to San Lorenzo, altho everything in Florence is convenient in my opion. We really like the hotel - rooms were large and decorated with antiques/handmade lace, original paintings. Some of the rooms face an inner courtyard. Bathrooms were large and had been recently modernized last March. Good luck and enjoy Firenze!