Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To take a chance on Hotel Artus in Paris shortly after renovation is due to be finished?

Search

To take a chance on Hotel Artus in Paris shortly after renovation is due to be finished?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris in March with my boyfriend & we had narrowed our choices of hotels down to a couple based on reading here & also at tripadvisor.com. I found out that Hotel Artus is undergoing renovation that is set to be completed by March. I emailed the hotel & they just got back to me with their prices & said I could make a reservation. However, my concern is that there is always a possibility that the renovation will not be finished by the time of our arrival & also there will likely not be much time to check reviews of other travelers who had stayed there since the renovation was complete. It's in a great location & has very good reviews on tripadvisor.com & I would still like to stay there, but can I get some opinions on this? Would I be making a mistake since there are so many other options for Paris hotels?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM

It's always possible that you'll run into a little work still being done, I guess it's a question of how important it is to you to walk into a pristine environment or if a little dust here and there is an issue.

I doubt they're hammering and drilling into the wee hours of the night, and likely would be doing any remaining work while you're out sightseeing anyway.

ALSO, In my recent experience in Paris, any renovations being done -- including the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles -- the French have a very good way of making the minimum eyesore out of even the biggest renovation projects -- they cover it, silence it, and do work when we're not around -- you'd think elves were doing it.

Ultimately, it's your call, but I'd probably just stick with the hotel if you really like it.

Jules
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I've been in lots of hotels that were noisy due to renovation, including in France. Workers don't care at all about being quiet or not bothering you, usually, and they often start very early in the morning. That's the key thing, they start very early. If you are the kind who may want to take a nap, you cannot count on that, either, and they may work in the evening, although not usually past 9-10 pm.

So, I would not book a room in any hotel undergoing renovation myself, although I know sometimes if it were far away from where you are, it really wouldn't matter. Sometimes some services and facilities aren't working properly, though (like elevators).

I guess I'd ask them if the renovation is done or not, and exactly what kind of renovations are yet to be done if they say no. It wouldn't bother me that you couldn't't get reviews about it from anyone, as the hotel itself has been around a long time, so I wouldn't expect it generally to get worse.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Does anyone know if the rennovations are near complete at Hotel Artus? In an email from the Hotel, an Artus representative stated that the rennovations will be complete in March 2006. We booked for mid-April, but are still nervous. Thank you!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Author: Dave_in_Paris
Date: 03/06/2006, 05:11 pm
All I can offer is ancedotal information from a Paris architect, who said he never had finished a project (architects here often supervise renovation and deal with the subcontracting) without suing someone, usually for failing to meet a deadline.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM

If you are really &quot;nervous&quot; despite the hotel's assurrances then I would <b>definitely</b> book elsewhere.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:25 AM

In an e-mail I received today from the hotel, they said that the renovations had been completed. Based upon that, we went ahead and made reservations there. Any comments (good or bad) on the Artus? Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Isn't the Artus the former Buci Latin? It was our financial advisor's favorite hotel.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Any other thoughts on the Artus?
It's well-reviewd on Tripadvisor, although there are a couple of recent negative reviews.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM

It depends on how you interpret those negative reviews. If a couple of bad reviews are bothersome to you, then book somewhere else. Otherwise, you will just need to take a chance on reserving a room at that hotel. From the descriptions I read and from their site, it's not my type of hotel especially for the rates they charge. But that is just my personal feeling about this hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM

There is a new review - you should read it - states several reasons why it might not be worth the room rate, and mentions ongoing construction and wet paint.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Wet paint..umm guess the traveler forgot to program that part into the handheld.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Didn't I read there are over 1,600 hotels in Paris? ... worry about just 1?