Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To St. Gilgen or not to St. Gilgen?, that is the question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prague (3 nts); Vienna (2 nts); Cesky Krumlov (1 nt); Hallstatt (1-2nts..1 night booked); (Have rental car driving from Vienna to Zurich (sorry bobthenavigator)). I'm torn on staying 1-2 nights in St. Gilgen.

St. Gilgen seeming gets mixed reviews on this board.

My questions now are do I want to hang around Hallstatt, St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, Innsbruck, etc. and skip the Dolomites OR spend less time in the Salzkammergut (spelling?) region and more time in the Dolomites.

Going in early September. 9 nights to fill between Vienna and Zurich. Could and might change departure airport from Zurich to Munich.

Anybody interested in pushing me in one direction or the other?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM

The Salzkammergut is a beautiful area -- one of the most scenic in Austria. But the Dolomites are also beautiful.

We've been to both places and enjoyed both. But we have returned several times to the Salzkammergut area (Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee) because that is OUR favorite. You might feel differently.

I think you just need to make a decision and live with it.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM

I love the Dolomiti and also the Salzkammergut area. St. Gilgen is lovely and we preferred it to St. Wolfgang.

Also am not a fan of one night stays unless essential to catch a flight so I would not be moving around as you plan to.

And I would definitely choose to fly home from Munich unless there is a reason for going to Zurich.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I guess my core question is:

Are the most scenic areas of Austria more scenic than the most scenic areas of Switzerland and Northern Italy?
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Masterphil, how does one answer that question?

Switzerland is amazing! The mountains are in your face! When you are in Murren and looking at the Jungfrau and Eiger mountains, it is awe inspiring.

St. Gilgen is not like that. You might find the Austrian Tirol more like that, but almost nothing else in Europe compares to the Swiss Alps IMO.

That doesn't mean that St. Gilgen and the Salzkammergut aren't special and beautiful. They definitely are. And there are some lovely mountain vistas as well as the lakes.

But I think you are asking us to compare apples and oranges.

If you ONLY want the most "scenic", then spend all of your time in the Swiss Alps and don't bother with Prague and the rest of it.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

bettyk...Prague is a definite. I'm looking forward to that part of the trip. The Czech Republic seems "intriguing" to me.

I love Switzerland specifically Bernese Oberland.

Just trying to make an educated decision here.

Maybe I will just figure it out while in Hallstatt. Just leave the whole trip "open" and go wherever the wind and weather take me.

Always worry about hotels booking up, but should be able to find something last minute...

Prague offers a different scenery that I am interested in....the inside of a pub selling great beer!!

Thanks for all of your help!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM

You really need to decide and stick to it--you are going in circles. I would drop all of CH--you have done the BO before.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, bob!!

I'm just trying not to go in circles.

I'll stop!

I'm going to Prague, Vienna, Cesky Krumlov, Hallstatt and then I will figure it out while there.

Buying tickets to fly from Zurich to London was a mistake. Thank goodness one way flights on BA are cheap and I can just fly back from Munich.

The question becomes do I want to drive down to Dolomites or just hang out around Salzkammergut and Bavaria.

I will figure that out...

Danke
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi MP,

>Are the most scenic areas of Austria more scenic than the most scenic areas of Switzerland and Northern Italy?<

Do you prefer vanilla, strawberry-vanilla, cherry-vanilla or French-vanilla?

I would add the time to Hallstatt and see a little more of the surrounding region.

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

My question was sort of tongue-in-cheek (therefore the smiley face after it).

From what I gather, nothing beats the Bernese Oberland for scenic beauty. Hiking around the mountains there was simply breathtaking. I was hoping to get that same thing elsewhere. Images of St. Gilgen and Wolfgangsee, didn't have the same impact on me that BO had. I thought maybe it was me or bad photos.

I will figure it out.

"Just make a decision and stick with it..." Why? Isn't the planning of a vacation, just as exciting as the vacation itself? I asked some similar questions on another thread and got some new responses from some new folks. That's what I was looking for.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM

"I asked some similar questions on another thread and got some new responses from some new folks. That's what I was looking for."

We told you the truth as we saw it. Isn't that what you were looking for?

Most of us are big fans of St. Gilgen. But we've also been to the BO and have agreed that it is gorgeous. I told you about the Tirol region of Austria being similar to the BO in my opinion. Hall in Tirol is lovely as is the region around Achensee.

Sorry you don't like our answers, but you are getting what you asked for.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

bettyk...When did I say I didn't like your answers?

I appreciate all of your responses. I particularly thought your pictures were beautiful!

What I meant to say (in your quote above) was that I was looking for feedback from others who hadn't responded before.

I know how you and a few others feel. I was hoping to get a wider spectrum of replies.

Sorry, if I'm getting under your skin! (Now you know how my beautiful wife feels )

I'm just getting all of my facts straight. I have a preliminary Plan A but want to have Plan's B and C ready in the event of bad weather, etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Well, since you already have my response(s), I guess I will bow out and see if some others will respond.

P.S. If you do a search for St. Gilgen, you will find there are several threads going right now about this subject.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

In the immortal words of Nathan Thurm..."Is it me?"