Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   To Paris/Southern France next week. Thx Fodorites. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/to-paris-southern-france-next-week-thx-fodorites-521291/)

hopingtotravel Apr 14th, 2005 02:20 PM

To Paris/Southern France next week. Thx Fodorites.

We plan to leave in a week for Paris. Thanks so much to Underhill, Stu, Cigalechanta, Kevin, Dave, and many many others for your answers and suggestions.
It's too late to critique, but here's a brief rundown. I'm hoping to be able to give you all the details when we return.
We spend three nights in Paris. It's a first trip so I hope to do a lot of walking and cafe sitting. If I have any priorities at all they will be: a boat ride, Musee d'Orsay, San Chapelle, Jardins de Luxembourg.
After leaving Paris, we'll have a partial afternoon at Giverney. Good idea to drive ahead to Les Andelys to drop the luggage, then backtrack to Giverney?
We will spend one night in Beaune on the way to Provence. We will have a week for St. Remy, Gordes, Moustiers Ste. Marie, St. Paul de Vence and St. Jean Cap Ferrat.
On the way to the Dordogne, we will overnight in Carcassone. We will then stay two nights in LaRoque-Gageac. (Yes, I know, way to brief a stop in the Dordogne.) On the way back to CDG we plan two nights in Amboise before ending at the Courtyard Marriott. Has anyone tried using their shuttle?
We've done trips before with lots of two night stays. It's not ideal, but it's a good way to know what area you want to return to.

Sue4 Apr 14th, 2005 04:53 PM

Your trip sounds wonderful! I have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott several times, and really like it - and I'm sure you will too. Yes, I've taken their shuttle alot, and it's fine. They charge 5 euros for the roundtrip. It stops at a couple of other hotels, and takes about 15 or 20 minutes (if I remember correctly) from the Courtyard to Terminal 2. It seems to run quite frequently. The restaurant at the Courtyard is quite nice - good food and very relaxing atmosphere. The breakfast buffet looks awesome - although I only partook of the continental. Have a wonderful trip, and be sure to do a trip report! I'll be interested to hear about the Dordogne - I'm going in May for 2 weeks.

cigalechanta Apr 14th, 2005 04:57 PM

Have a wonderful time, wishing you good weather, good times and lots of love.

gopack Apr 14th, 2005 05:47 PM

Hi,

Your trip sounds wonderful!! You will see so many great places. We are leaving the day after tomorrow. We won't get into France until a week from tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back.

Ginny

Underhill Apr 14th, 2005 07:30 PM

I don't think Giverny has problems with thefts from cars; you can park quite close to Monet's house in a very public spot. However, it's not too far to go on to Les Andelys, get rid of your luggage, and drive back if you want to be on the safe side.

Have a wonderful time, and give my regards to Les Andelys, and La Chaîne d'Or if you stay there. Be sure to order the apple tart if you dine at their restaurant--it is absolutely fabulous and comes complete with calvados. Yum!!!

Your week in Provence sounds lovely, and I'm very envious. Since we won't be going to France this year I have to enjoy it all vicariously.

hopingtotravel Apr 14th, 2005 10:19 PM

Mmmmmm, apple tart sounds like one French food I would really love. I've been traveling vicariously here for nearly two years.
I knew I would leave someone out--thanks also to St. Cirq for lots of good info on the Dordogne.

tod Apr 15th, 2005 05:51 AM

Have a really wonderful time. The gardens must be bursting into bloom and if you find the time go and see the iris beds in the Jardin Des Tuileries.
I'ts also a great place to stroll and people watch.

Scarlett Apr 15th, 2005 06:22 AM

Have a <b>wonderful</b> time!!
It all sounds great!
Yes, Pomme Tart is wonderful, I often do &quot;taste tests&quot; as we go through Paris :) as well as Fondant au chocolate!
Can't wait to hear all about it when you return!
Bon Voyage~

ggnga Apr 15th, 2005 06:36 AM

Have a safe and very happy time. You have planned a wonderful trip. Look forward to a report when you return.

gg