Reload this Page >

To JC who wanted directions to the Thames Barrier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:16 AM
PatrickW

Get yourself to Greenwich, and take the 177 or 180 bus to Woolwich Road - you may be able to see the shiny cowls of the Barrier from the top of the bus, but ask the driver to point it out for you. It might be easier to take a suburban train from London Bridge to Charlton, and to walk from there. <BR><BR>For map of routes and bus stops, see http://www.londontransport.co.uk/buses/route_maps.shtml <BR>I think you'll find the option for 'Spider maps' for Greenwich and Charlton easiest to use.<BR>There doesn't seem to be an official website for the Visitor Centre (which to my mind rather sums up the experience: great engineering, rather out-of-date presentation of information), but you might be interested in <BR>http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/barrier.htm<BR><BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Geoff Hamer

I think the visitors' centre at the Barrier has closed. Boats from Westminster and Greenwich used to land passengers there, but this has ceased, and the caf&eacute; and visitors' centre have, I believe, closed. There is still a small park by the river which gives good views of the Barrier, but little else.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:01 AM
boatie

FYI, a numer of the tour boats (we went from Westminster) go as far as the barriers, actually go past and turn back. Great up-close viewing opportunities. They had two panels up when we were there.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Jc

Many thanks to everyone, and the web sites too.<BR><BR>I think I will take the train to Charlton tomorrow morning.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Jc

I took bus 188 and 177 to Thames Barrier instead yesterday, it is a very impressive sight.<BR><BR>Thr Green Walk trails around that area has many wildlife and plants,I saw quite a few unuaual birds.<BR><BR>The visitor centre is open from 11:00 to 15:30 till the end of March, then back to regular hours. The Learning centre is only open to school but not to the public.