Reload this Page >

To Innsbruck or not...

Search

To Innsbruck or not...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 07:26 AM
gina

To Innsbruck or not...

Ok, I have plans to spend 2 nights in Innsbruck in late July. But I have read several comments on this forum lately and others that say Innsbruck is ho-hum. I will not be renting a car. Can others share their opinion about this? I will be on my way to Oberammergau where I have reservations for the Passion Play. Any suggestions welcome. Remember, we'll be doing the Eurail thing. Thanks in advance! Gina

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Maira

The thing that impressed me the most from Insbruck was the very fine examples of different architectural periods right next to each other on the city center/main square area. Beautiful city, very nice people, delicious pastries. It will be a nice contrast to precede Ober with a more cosmopolitan city. However, I would split it; one night Innsbruck and one night in Berthcshesgaden (sp?).

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Al

It's largely a personal preference, but I much prefer Salzburg to Innsbruck. The Mozart house and surrounding streets, the funicular up to the Festung, the old city, the Mirabell gardens, the churches, and more. Berchtesgaden and surroundings -- including a boat ride on the little lake, a hike to the Watzmann, a visit to Hitler's Tea House (or Eagle's Nest, if you prefer), the salt mines tours, very Alpine, very cuckoo-clock -- and crawling with tourists in midsummer. Both are served by rail. Innsbruck, of course, is interesting and lots of fun to explore. But other than the Goldenes Dachl and other buildings, it pales in comparison with Salzburg.

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Bob

I agreee with other postings. Skip Innsbruck. Do 2 nights in Salzburg or Berchtesgaden (both very close to each other) and then on to Oberammergau. You could also do Garmisch 2 nights and visit Innsbruck just for the day and then back to Garmisch that evening. Garmisch is very close to Oberammergau. Bottom line: Innsbruck old town is nice, but not anything to spend two nights seeing.

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 05:32 PM
wes fowler

Gina, <BR>I suppose there will always be a dissenter in the crowd. I'm one.Innsbruck is well worth two days for a number of reasons. It's laden with Habsburg history, having been the summer home of the Habsburg's for centuries. It has magnificent Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture and in St. Jacob's church, some fine examples of the works of the Assam brothers, Baroque artisans famed for their work in Bavaria including Munich's Church of St. John Nepomuk. Maximilian's ostentatious mausoleum in the Hofkirche is an interesting contrast to the simple but magnificent tomb of his father in law, Charles the Bold, encrypted in Brugges, Belgium. Spend the better part of a day taking the funicular to the Hungerburg with its sweeping views of the city and surrounding mountains. From Hungerburg take the cable car to Hafelekar for the impressive view of the Inn valley and the Stubal Alps to the south. That trip in itself will consume more than half a day. Innsbruck, a university town, is a lively place and while crowded with tourists, it is far less so than Salzburg. <BR> <BR>One other point, the train ride from Innsbruck to Oberammergau takes about 3 and 1/2 hours with many, many stops. One of them is Mittenwald just inside the German border. Famed for the manufacture of violins and other stringed instruments over the centuries, it has shops displaying superb woodworking craftsmanship. If you choose Salzburg, the train ride is at least an hour longer since the train will go first to Munich.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:04 PM
alan

Hi! While I don't like toi disagree with Wes Fowler, I feel I must now. We visited Innsbruck severalk years ago in sept. and found it to be boring, especially in comparison to Salzburg. While Salzburg is more touristy. That's just what we are. I even found the people to be rude, almost hit by a car and cursed at for it. Make your own decisions but remember Innsbruck is known for its skiing. alan

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 08:20 PM
Martin

I was not too impressed by Innsbruck, though, I was not much more impressed by Salzburg or Vienna (yes, I know that makes me weird). I much preferred the quieter, more scenic parts of Austria outside of Reute or around the Austrian Lake District (such as Hallstatt). I guess I just am not a city lover or enjoy taking in every site with 100,000,000,000 other tourists at the same time.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:59 AM

I spent most of a day in Innsbruck and felt it was definitely well worth it. Don't know about more than that, but I'll agree with the raves for the architecture, and the mountains are sublime. No problems not having a car. I personally chose not to go to Salzburg because I had heard from friends and fellow travelers that it was just the Disneyworld version of the Sound of Music. Great movie, but not my idea of a must-see. But I would say, without renting a car and getting to the less-touristed areas outside of town, it would make more sense to move on after one night and give another town a try (I found the urge to see as much, and check as many locations off the list, so to speak, as possible to be overwhelming when I was doing the Eurail thing).