Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To Hear the Sea in Brittany and Normandy...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in initial thinking stages (can't even call it 'planning' yet!) for about 10 nights in Brittany and Normandy in May. My favorite thing is to hear the sea when i go to sleep.

I have been poking around at rooms and have noticed that lots of places are in quiet bays. I'm looking for recommendations for any favorite places to stay within hearing distance of the sea waves. Our normal budget is capped at about 125 E a night for 2 adults... but can go above for a night or two for something special. We don't need anything fancy... just the sound of waves.

Our itinerary is completely open right now... so can stay in any town in the areas... we will have a rental car. My thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 02:29 AM

Roscoff is a cute little town right on the open sea. There are a couple of hotels.

You can use the maps of tripadvisor or viamichelin to search hotels by location.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In France, not UK

Paimpol, Roscoff as T says are both cute. I also like St Vaast and Barfleur. Most hotels wll be set back from the sea. But all four harbours have hotels near the salt water.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 06:51 AM

In general, hotels overlooking the sea are more expensive. Any time I have paid the premium for being by the sea the waters have been fairly quiet. That's a risk you have to factor in.

Personally, I find the sound of ropes slapping on metal masts irritating, so I avoid hotels at "ports de plaisance".
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 06:56 AM

There are a huge number of cottages and gites for rental in this part of France. Many British people have second homes there. Might be worth looking at some self-catering websites as well as hotels.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 07:26 AM

One special idea,

Go to Brehat on google maps and have a look at those two hotels. This little island is tiny and has a small community but maintains two hotels, I doubt you can get away from the sound of the sea on the thing. No marina as such though there is a sheltered moring.

Hotel Belle Vue used to be great, don't know the Auberge
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks for these... just the kind of information i was looking for. i will start looking into these locations... already checked into how to get to the island.
...and specific hotel recommendations are more than welcome!!
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

still looking for more specific hotels that are near the wild sea... rather than bay. any more specific recommendations out there??
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 10:50 PM
kja

Oh gosh, I loved the Hotel Rochers in Perros Guirec, but don't think I was hearing the "wild sea" when I was there -- its on a protected harbor....
http://hotel.reservit.com/front17900...cy=USD&lang=EN

Good luck!
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 01:06 AM

Try googling "hotel face a la mer bretagne" or "hotel vue mer bretagne" or "hotel bord de mer bretagne" and you'll get results, like this:

http://www.bretagne35.com/hebergemen...el/bord-de-mer
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 06:02 PM
kja

@ FrenchMystiqueTours -- how wonderful that such internet sites exist, and that you were able to direct the OP to this site!
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

kja - rochers looks like a great spot if i give up on the waves.
f.m.t - thanks for this web site. great web site... already poked around a bit. it's funny... every view of the water for the hotels is a view of calm bays.

perhaps this is not the area for waves... i just need to get into the rhythem of the bays!!
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 09:38 PM
kja

I still have dreams about the memorable time I spent roaming Plaumanach's Pink Granite coast and my very pleasant night at the Hotel Rochers -- but you would, indeed, probably need to give up on hearing the waves....

Good luck, kawh! Let us know if you find a suitable option!
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 01:42 AM

there are two hotels on the Ile de Brehat just to the north west of St Malo, one of the lovliest tiny islands in the area (suspect also a world heritage centre or the like but I'll let you do the google), just about everything on the island is within the sound of the waves and, of course, you have to catch a tiny ferry to get there.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:39 AM

http://www.vrbo.com/6676585ha

Our plans for next summer changed, but this place was at the top of our list. Faces the coast just west of the American Cemetery.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Before you start booking places to stay, have you given some thought to checking the local weather during the time of year you plan to visit? May is not known for "wild weather" - usually the opposite is true - so you might not have the experience you hoped for.