COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

To Gondola or Not to Gondola

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Teresa

To Gondola or Not to Gondola

This will be my first visit to Venice. I am going solo and wanted to know about the Gondola prices. It is feasible for me to take a Gondola alone, price wise or will I need to share one with others to afford it? I a so looking forward to it but want to know if i should plan it or not.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Bonnie

Year ago prices were @$75/half hr. (not per person) & not all the gondoliers sing. People wait in line, sure if you ask someone will share w/you. We thought it was a little touristy, didn't go, but if I went back I would do it!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Thyra

Teresa, I highly recommend you take the goldola ride. Touristy? Yes, but there is a reason for that!! Our gondola ride was quite simply an incredible highlight of our trip to Venice. Our gondolier did sing an aria for us.. We always adhear to a strict budget but why go to Venice and not ride a Gondola, it's kind of like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. I can honestly tell you that even for all the money, (and we tipped our gondolier well) as soon as we launched from St. Marks Square and hit the water..tears started rolling... what a dream, i was actually IN Venice and enjoying something very Uniquely Venetian. If the gondola had cost 10 times as much I would have done it, it is one my most cherished memories.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Pat

Tell me if I'm wrong but all the replies on this post seem to be from women. As a woman, I agree completely, a gondola ride in Venice is a once in a lifetime experience in a very unique place. I personally had to drag my husband on one, he was more upset about the money and had bargained the gondolier down a bit. Well, we had the fastest ride imaginable. No talk, just this goldolier poling as fast as he could to get us back to pick up another fare. So much for romance. When we finished, there were a bunch of older couples from the midwest whose wives were dying to take a gondola ride and all the men could talk about was how dirty the water might be and not to stick your hands over the side. So much for romance.

Men are very different from women!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Pat

I'm sorry Teresa, I really didn't answer your question in my above post. Take that gondola ride, even if you have to do it alone. It's a once in a lifetime experience. YOu'll remember it forever.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:27 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Teresa
Go to the American Express travel office
on the Sal San Moise which is about a
block west of the west end of the Pza S.
Marco, They run gondola evenings with
music most every night and individual
price is very reasonable.
Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:46 PM
wendy

Well, I'm a woman and I still think it's a waste of money. I had a couple of travel companions I met at the hostel (both women) and they thought it was a waste of money too. We were especially disappointed that the men who dress up like gondoliers and walk around Venice trying to sell the rides are breath-takingly beautiful, but the actual gondoliers are considerably less attractive.
I suppose if I was in Venice with a lover, I'd feel differently.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Art

The first time in Venice, I didn't take a ride(was on a very tight budget) and regretted it. The next time I didn't hesitate and am glad for it. It is one splurge that I would do again for the first time.
Art (sometimes I think that I am from Venus instead of Mars).

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Holly

Teresa: I have to agree with Richard - go on a ride with other people arranged through the Amex office. There's nothing romantic about taking a gondola ride Solo. And the LAST thing you need is being hit on by a gondolier while you're all alone! (Trust me on this one.)

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Celia Lynn

Teresa, Don't regret! Do! You will regret not taking the ride! I speak from experience...my travel buddy didn't want to, so....we didn't. I regret it to this day. Venice is wonderful! I'm trying to squeeze it in on my next trip to Paris in April. How, well, I don't know yet, but I'll sure ride in the gondola when I get there.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Gina

Guess I'm weird, but I'm a woman with no particular interest in taking a gondola ride. I spent three days in Venice, love the city with a passion and am dying to go back, but have no regrets about not spending $$$ on a gondola. I

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:58 AM
Max

I think it depends. On one hand, Venice is very different viewed from a Gondola, one is that because of it's slow motion you get the chance to appreciate even more the architecture and beatiful buildings and monuments, second is because the Gondolier will explain some old constructions. I agree it's quite touristic, but Why not? If you get your time and money to go to Venice (A hot touristic spot) Why not to do something that happens just there?

However if you could invite a beautiful (there are plenty, trust me on that) nice italian girl to join you it could be much more fun. Just do it! Why don't?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:05 AM
sally

GO FOR IT!! We (2 couples) enjoyed it alot as our gondolier took us down side canals and ptd. out bldgs and gave us a bit of history. We videotaped and enjoy watching the re-runs!! We caught our ride in the Accademia Bridge area; I would say it was one of the best things we did in Venice!!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:54 AM
Carol

Teresa,

I promise you there is nothing like a gondola ride at night--it's kind of like gliding through black velvet--even if you're with a bunch of other tourists and other gondolas, and they're playing corny music. Don't miss it!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:14 AM
Gondola

I went to venice a few years ago and held off going in a Gondola because I wanted to save it for the highlight of my honeymoon. Well I am going back very soon, with my new husband, and everytime I think about it I get teary-eyed. I can't help it -- and as for the money, I know it is expensive, and we are not made of money, but that is a memory that I will cherish (one of the highlights of my honeymoon). I feel for Pat (above) whose husband spoiled the moment -- very insensitive.