Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   To Germany from Texas for 5 days for $600 - worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/to-germany-from-texas-for-5-days-for-600-worth-it-810872/)

Tracy0826 Oct 18th, 2009 08:32 PM

To Germany from Texas for 5 days for $600 - worth it?

Do you think it would be worth it to go to Cologne and spend the weekend in Amsterdam - in the middle of December when the highs are in the 30? Room/food/most everything else paid for through friend's work... Also, never I have never been there! Thanks!

nukesafe Oct 18th, 2009 09:24 PM

For goodness sake, GO! I once spent a winter in Amsterdam, out of a job and almost broke; had a wonderful time. You can stay warm in museums, a brown cafe, or a jazz club. Cologne can be pretty nice too.

You will kick yourself if you miss this opportunity.

:-)

Mainhattengirl Oct 18th, 2009 09:55 PM

Heck yes you should go. Wouldn't think even twice about not going. Question, do you have a passport already?

WillTravel Oct 18th, 2009 10:44 PM

I would say yes - if you aren't suffering debts or job insecurity or other financial circumstances that make it unwise. It's hard to give a blanket answer. Otherwise, with everything paid for, it is a great opportunity.

Of course, if you know you couldn't tolerate the weather, that's another reason not to go, but you wouldn't have to spend that much time outside if you didn't want to.

kleeblatt Oct 18th, 2009 11:54 PM

Van Gogh is calling you.

nancicita Oct 19th, 2009 12:03 AM

I would go. Probably not enough time to recover from jet-lag but I'd just drink lots of caffeine. :-)

lincasanova Oct 19th, 2009 12:57 AM

Definitely! Go!

hetismij Oct 19th, 2009 01:04 AM

Sounds like a bargain to me, I think you should make the trip. The chances are it will actually be warmer than you suggest. We are having warmer winters nowadays. The days will be short, but that doesn't matter in a city so much - still plenty to do when the lights come on.
Just one thing - Amsterdam is the Netherlands not Germany - how are you getting from Cologne to Amsterdam?

tejana Oct 19th, 2009 03:46 AM

Always say yes to adventure!

yk Oct 19th, 2009 06:05 AM

My vote would be yes if you can afford it. And that you don't have to spend another $600 on winter clothing, since you live in Texas and may not have the appropriate warm clothes.

Tracy0826 Oct 19th, 2009 10:34 AM

Thanks all, I think I will!!! I am financially stable and can handle the costs... Every time I have gone to Europe, it's been for at least 8 days so wasn't sure if that was enough time.

Will travel by train to Amsterdam from Cologne, I think it's about 2.5 hour ride.

Thanks again!

logos999 Oct 19th, 2009 10:53 AM

Good!

tejana Oct 19th, 2009 01:20 PM

I think long weekends (4-5 days) a great way to experience Europe (of course, it is easier from DC than from Texas - 3 hours less flight time). You really get to concentrate on exploring one place (plus it is SOOOOOO much fun to just take off Friday and Monday, and then walk into the office on Tuesday morning and mention that you spent the weekend in Paris or London or Amsterdam). Definitely do it!

CIB Oct 19th, 2009 06:00 PM

I say just going to Cologne is worth it. The Cathedral was beautiful. flies direct to Amsterdam from Houston (don't know where you're flying out of), but a direct flight is so much easier for a short trip vs. having a layover - IMO.

amer_can Oct 19th, 2009 06:52 PM

If you can't go please send the info to me..$600..unreal..You should never miss an opportunity to travel especially if you have the time off. Even without alot of $$$ go..go..go..At 78years young I'd sleep anywhere to have the chance to travel. Have stayed in 5 star and dumpy hostels and never regretted a moment...amer_can

Aramis Oct 24th, 2009 03:11 PM

HELL YEAH TRACE! Get yer tail over there and get your Europe on!

travlsolo2 Oct 24th, 2009 03:33 PM

Another definite vote for YES, GO!

traveller1959 Oct 24th, 2009 05:03 PM

Go, and enjoy both Köln (Cologne) and Amsterdam!

In Köln, see the one of the world's grandest cathedrals (with the shrine of the Three Magi), rich Roman-Germanic heritage, world-class museums and enjoy the local microbreweries (even better then Shiner Bock).

Amsterdam is two hours by train from Köln. It is easy to go around in this area.

Düsseldorf is also a worthy destination.

Tell us a bit about your preferences and we will give you more advice.

travelgirl2 Oct 24th, 2009 10:06 PM

Heck, why not?

spassvogel Oct 25th, 2009 02:44 PM

OF COURSE it's a GO!

Maybe ask you friends whether they can get you tickets for one of the famous Karneval meetings in the Sartori Hall - usually on a Friday or Saturday, or in one of the big hotels. As the Karneval starts on 11 Nov there should be a good chance to visit one of these meetings. You won't understand a word - but it's great fun in any case!

http://www.koeln.de/tourismus/karneval

http://www.koeln.de/koeln/was_ist_los

Safe trip - happy landings and a lot of fun!

SV