Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To Europe for Christmas and New Year's, but where to exactly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:29 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all,
our trip originally planned for spring 2009 has been pushed up to this December. My husband and I have ten days to spend in Europe in time for Christmas and New Year. Originally we were thinking about Paris-nice or Madrid-Andalucía. We love culture, food, and are luxury/comfort oriented. This is our first trip without the kids since five years now and we want to make it memorable, all help is appreciated.

thanks a lot
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM

There's been tons written about xmas in different places, I think it's a personal preference and what kind of weather you want. I have heard that Salzburg/ Vienna are absolutely delightful during the holidays...so maybe start there. But anywhere you go can be made wonderful...go where your heart tells you to go.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
lmf

There are many memorable places in Europe so I think is will be based more on your personal preferences but if you are into holiday merrymaking then perhaps Strasbourg for Christmas and Paris for New Years? Absolutely beautiful! Wherever you go, you will undoubtedly enjoy every second of it. I mean come on, you'll be in Europe!
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a week in Nice over Christmas last year and loved it. It was lively and lots to do and see, both in the city area and on day trips. We had an apartment through www.nicepebbles.com If you click on my name (above) you should find a report I did after Christmas.

We had Christmas the year before in London and enjoyed that too but found it was quiet and there is no public transport at all on Christmas Day. We just planned around that and did find plenty to do, such as theatre and concerts.

Kay
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM

I haven't taken the trip, but while we were on our Russian Waterways cruise, I heard rave reviews about the Grand Circle Tours river cruise: Christmas Markets on the Danube. They also have the same cruise for the Rhine and Seine. Here is the link:

http://www.gct.com/gcc/general/defau...=&page=All

Scroll down the the cruises I mention. Also, you get $200 off per couple with a referral. I would be happy to give you a referral if you email me directly.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM

How about Istanbul for lots of nice Christmas & home shopping besides cultural events & excursions, nice dining out for 6 days and 3 or 4 days Cappadocia to have listen jingle bells in a different environment.........

Just another thought,

Murat
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM

Salzburg and Vienna! We flew to Munich last December, enjoyed the Christmas markets there, then took the train to Salzburg, where we spent a few days enjoying the Christmas markets,and general area. Bus service is excellent to outlaying villages. So much to do, don't miss the lake villages and boat service between them. It was fantastic, with snow on the ground. Christmas Eve and Christmas were magical there. A few days after Christmas we took the train to Vienna where they have a huge New Years Eve party. We loved the cafes here and the city. Once the festivites are over, the city empties. We returned by train to Munich, spent another day there, then flew home. It was a fantastic area to be in at this time of year.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM

Hello Laugh out Loud (I assume that your screen name is the common contraction; if not I will be corrected):

We too are going to Europe over Christmas and New Year's. We begin in Salzburg, on to Vienna for Christmas, and then to Prague for New Year's. Our week in Vienna over Christmas is a repeat of several years ago; we enjoyed ourselves so much that returning is irresistible. Salzburg is also familiar but not in Winter. We are looking forward to several musical events in the city and a few side trips by train to mountain locations. The visit to Prague is brand new for us and we are excited.

Anyway, this trip is also "luxury/comfort oriented", as best as we can arrange it. If you would like further details, let me know.

Gradyghost
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM

Edinburgh!!!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM

December is beautiful in Germany. You can visit the various romantic Christmas markets e.g in Stuttgart, Nuremberg or Baden-Baden and then go off to a mountain retreat in Garmisch or Berchtesgaden. You may also visit the big cities (Munich, Hamburg, Berlin) and take in the operas and concerts. Avoid going to too many places/countries as days are short and it may be already quite cold.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Could anything be better than Hogmanay in Edinburgh, particularly if there is any scottish heritage, there are wonderful events but my advice would be to book early I tried last year in November and couldn't get in to the places I wanted, there's a special Homanay site for Edinburgh I think its just www.edinburghhogmanay, all hotels and some of the wonderful restaurants have great events, you can also check out some Edinburgh activities at www.myweekin.net
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM
lol
Original Poster

Sorry for not posting sooner. Thank you guys very much. I am researching all the info u gave me in order to make a decision.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Vienna and environs for Christmas, then Paris for the New Year celebrations. Make your NY dinner reservations by October; many restaurants have special celebrations, called réveillons, with special menus.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM

New years eve in Iceland is really crazy. Everyone is shooting fire-works. It is amazing
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Nice is great for the Christmas holidays--both there and in the towns and villages in the region.