To euro or not?

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:20 AM
tony

To euro or not?

Hi, I'm travelling to Europe in a few weeks and wondering if it's better to exchange for Euros instead of the individual country currency. I'll be in the Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy... What are some suggestions?
Hopefully, I won't get ripped off in regards to "fees" that ATM's or currency exchange shops?
Let me know, thanks!
Tony

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Capo

Although goods & services are priced in Euros (along with the individual country currency), I don't think one can actually change money into Euros yet...though I may be wrong about that.

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Lidija

I think the Euro goes into circulation Jan 1, 2002, no?

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Micaela

Only local currency is used. Circulation will "begin" in 2002.

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:04 PM
John

Hi Tony:
The Eurodollar is presently being minted. They will be distributed under heavy guard throughout Europe in December, 2001 for distribution starting in January, 2002.
Micaela is correct. At present only local currency is in circulation.
John

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Currency Arbitrage

To avoid being cheated at overseas exchange bureaus or ATMs, get all of your currency from your bank or American Express before you go:
$5000 worth of Dutch uncles
$5000 worth of French doors
$5000 worth of Spanish omelets
$5000 worth of Italian stallions

The Euro (pronounced ee ur OW) won't be in paper currency form until next year. The coins, called jinglings, won't be available until the end of next year so everything will be priced in whole Euros until then so you will overpay for stuff through December of 2002.

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Ed

As the sane and sober have noted euro coins and banknotes won't be in circulation until 2002.

John: the euro has no connection with eurodollars which are something quite different. The currency is euro, plain and simple. Euro cent pieces (50, 20, 10, 5 and 1) will be part of the circulation issue, along with 1 and 2 euro coins, and a variety of banknotes starting at 5 euro.

Oh, and it's pronounced, "YOUR-oh".

twenj

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Howard

Now that you've been straightened out on the euro, I'll respond to another comment you made concerning getting ripped off with ATM fees. Tony, ATMs are the way to go when you're in Europe. Even with the $1-$3 charge from your bank for each transaction, you still get the best exchange rate. Use your ATM card and credit cards.

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:01 PM
John

To Ed:
Thanks for the straightening out. One question. Are the banknotes starting at 5 euros, called 5 eurodollars? Or is that something else?
John

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Ed

Euros are called euros. Not europesetas, eurolire, eurofrancs, euromarks, not eurodollars ... just plain old euro.

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Alec

As many have already said, the single European currency that will appear in hard cash form from the beginning of next year is called 'EURO' period, NOT euro-anything (eurodollar, europound, eurofranc or whatever). One euro is divided into 100 cents, but has nothing to do with any other currency called dollar. 'Eurodollar' is something completely different - it's not a currency as such but a term used in international finance for the US$-denominated funds that stays outside of US (for example, a French company holding US$ funds in a French bank for trading purpose). Euro notes will come in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500. Sample notes can be viewed at http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/dossi.../index-EN.html
and coins at http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/dossi.../index-EN.html