Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   To: epi Re: Palais Apartement post (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/to-epi-re-palais-apartement-post-485967/)

Greenhouse Nov 14th, 2004 06:35 AM

To: epi Re: Palais Apartement post

It seems your post regarding your experience has been removed. I have filled out a booking form for available dates, using a US address and will report on Mr. Hartropp's response.

ParadiseLost Nov 14th, 2004 06:56 AM

epi: Also try reposting it but leave out their emails to you. I have a feeling that is why Fodors deleted it.
Just explain what happened and their refusal to rent to Americans for political reasons.
Regards, Walter

Budman Nov 14th, 2004 07:00 AM

epi found one bigot and is making "hay" out of it. There are plenty of bigots in this world.

I recommend he just "move on." ((b))

hansikday Nov 14th, 2004 07:01 AM

Why would you want to stay with such silly fools anyway? Its not like you can't find someplace else.

epi Nov 14th, 2004 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info, all. I was so angry at the response that I wanted to do something, but it was wrong of me to put his name in, so I am happy in some ways that it was deleted. Of course I don't want to rent from him now! I did send him a follow-up email telling him that I posted his letter. It will be interesting, Greenhouse, to see what his response is to you. After I finish cooling off, I will probably post as ParadiseLost suggests.

Rutt_Butler Nov 14th, 2004 07:58 AM

This is so rich! How many times have you heard "they like our dollars!" Here's a guy with the scruples to say "I can't abide your actions so I won't take your dollars" and everyone howls. You can't have it both ways. And yes, the world is pretty pissed off at us! You say the world doesn't get to vote. Well, you gotta live with the result.

Epi, if you truly "detest" our leader, you should be commending the man for his stand.

FlyFish Nov 14th, 2004 08:29 AM

I think the point, Rutt, is that nobody should be discriminating against individuals just because they happen to come from a country whose leadership is taking actions they don't like. Sort of like an American refusing to sell a service to somebody from France because they don't like Jacques Chirac cozying up to terrorists and murderous despots - that would be wrong as well. It's all bigotry, as epi said, and we ought not be applauding it.

degas Nov 14th, 2004 08:37 AM

Greenhouse, ask the guy if his parents disliked Americans after WWll and WWl or during the Marshall Plan in the 1940-50's. Then ask him if he's not renting to french people due to its ugly history in Africa and the current mess in the Ivory Coast.

Selective dislikes and selective recall - you got to laugh at both of them.

ira Nov 14th, 2004 08:54 AM

>... it was wrong of me to put his name in, ...<

No, it wasn't.

He sent you an eml. It is yours to use as you wish.

epi Nov 14th, 2004 09:14 AM

FlyFish - Thank you. You have it exactly right. Interesting to have this happen, since I have been following the discussions about whether when we travel to Europe, people treat us badly because we are Americans. Most posters, myself included, have found that people can separate their opinions of a government from their behavior to an individual. This is the first one I have run into who couldn't do that. It is ironic that he and I agree politically, but that is not the point.
One of the biggest problems in the world I think is just this - seeing people as symbols, not as people.