Notices

To drive or not to drive

May 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

To drive or not to drive

Will be in Italy in July for 2 weeks. We are starting from Rome and do the south part of the country this time. We already did the Milan, venice, Florence and Rome route. Now, we would like to do Rome, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Sicily. In Sorrento, we are staying at Hilton Sorrento. I need help on deciding as far as transportation is concern. When we did the north part of the country, we basically took the train from city to city. While in the city, we took the local trains. We always enjoy doing this and doesnt really care about hiring a car while on vacation. We drive a lot as it is in our everyday life, so we prefer taking it slowly and less stressful. I am just not so sure how it will be on the coast if we want to visit the area. We would like to do the major attraction like pompeii ( daughter wants to see this for sure ), Mt V...I understand with this, we could take the train like we did with Pisa while we were in Florence. I hope. Does anybody have any suggestions how to go around this part of the country without hiring a car or do we really have to hire a car?
May 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM

Trains and buses are good for everything except Sicily. We found that it is great to have a car in Sicily as the public transportation is somewhat limiting. Fly into Palermo and pick up a car as you leave the city.
May 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
ira

I agree with Mam.

www.circumvesuviana.com is the local commuter train that will link you to Naples.

www.sitabus.it will take you along the coast to Amalfi and Salerno.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/ser...ea/servizi.asp

For current timetables between Capri/Amalfi Coast the most reliable link is:
http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable

Enjoy your visit.

May 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the informations. This would greatly help us in planning our trip.

Search this Thread