Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   To and from St Pancras - whats the easiest way? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/to-and-from-st-pancras-whats-the-easiest-way-877332/)

Maudie Feb 9th, 2011 11:47 PM

To and from St Pancras - whats the easiest way?

Hi everyone

I have just booked our Eurostar Tickets for May - very exciting! Just wondering the easiest route to get to St Pancras from the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury St? We have 9.22am tickets and will be travelling on a Saturday morning. We will have one small suitcase each and are good walkers. We seem to have 3 choices using the Tube.
1. Tottenham Court Road tube to Holborn then change to the Piccadilly line
2. TCR to Warren St then change to Victoria line
3. Walk to Holborn and take the Piccadilly line direct

Which would be the easiest to navigate with cases?

We arrive back on a Wednesday at 2.30pm and will be taking a train through to York - we are allowing an hour before taking a train from Kings Cross. Journey planner suggests taking the tube from St Pancras to Kings Cross or is it just as easy to walk? It doesn't look far on Google Earth.

Thanks for your help.

tarquin Feb 10th, 2011 12:31 AM

St Pancras and Kings Cross stand next to each other on Euston Road - you literally cross the road to change stations.

To reach St Pancras from your Bloomsbury Street hotel, you could take the Piccadilly line tube from Holborn to Kings Cross. If you were there with my husband, you would walk!

tarquin Feb 10th, 2011 12:37 AM

Or take a taxi as I can't imagine the fare would be much more than than 2 X £3.50 tube fare.

Maudie Feb 10th, 2011 12:59 AM

Tarquin, thanks for you help. That's easy then, we will just cross the road to get to Kings Cross.

Walking to Holborn is fine, that was our first thought. Surely he wouldn't make you walk all the way to St Pancras!! How long would that take?

Maybe if its raining it might well be a taxi.

Thanks again.

tarquin Feb 10th, 2011 02:07 AM

Yes, he would, but it's only about 20-30 minutes and he carries the bags!

Dr_DoGood Feb 10th, 2011 02:17 AM

I'm with <b>tarquin</b>'s husband - my natural first thought is that Bloomsbury Street to St.Pancras is a walk: if you can walk to Holborn you can walk to Russell Square and if you can get to Russell Square sure it's a short stroll up Judd Street to St.Pancras.
If I was being decadent I'd jump in a cab.

PatrickLondon Feb 10th, 2011 02:23 AM

There are buses to St Pancras: 10, 73 or 390 from the stops near the junction of Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road. For a 9.22 departure, you'd need to leave the hotel about 8am; on a Saturday, I would guess neither buses nor tubes would be too crowded for two small suitcases.

innocentspirit Feb 10th, 2011 02:52 AM

Either Tottenham Court Road tube to Holborn to King's Cross or if it is a particularly pleasant morning a walk to Holborn for a Piccadilly line to King's Cross should do. Then a street level change to St. Pancras Intl.

For this you should ideally leave Bloomsbury St. by 0800 hrs and no later than 0815 hrs so that you don't have to rush it.

Maudie Feb 10th, 2011 04:02 AM

Thank you for all your replies, I like the sound of walking right to St Pancras. That will be a good way to get some exercise seeing as we will be sitting down for a few hours on the train. Maybe while we are in London we can do a practice walk just to see how long it will take us. Good info on the buses too. Great to have so many choices, we can decide on the day, weather dependant.

Thanks for the heads up to leave the hotel by 8am too.

alanRow Feb 10th, 2011 04:22 AM

"Journey planner suggests taking the tube from St Pancras to Kings Cross "

Given that St Pancras & Kings Cross share the same Tube station that would be some accomplishment.