To and From Brussels Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We (my wife and I) will be arriving in Brussels Airport (BRU) on a Wednesday morning around 10:00AM and leaving the area of Centraal around 5PM on a Saturday for the airport (BRU).
This will take place in late April.
I don't mind paying 10 or 15E extra for the comfort of a car and not carrying luggage on and off trains, etc.
My concern is mostly the possibility of getting stuck in traffic or any other issues.

What can I expect on that route at those times?
Thanks.

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 AM is after the morning rush hour, so probably fine. But 5 PM will give you lots of traffic at that hour. Brussels is quite infamous in that respect.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

The 5PM is on a Saturday. Still bad traffic?
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:35 AM

I wouldn't worry much about traffic even though Brussels always has quite some traffic.
But I think you need to caluculate €35-40 per trip by taxi. Compared to two tickets for the train, each €9 one way.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Cowboy
Uber estimates 24 - 30E for the ride
If that's accurate door-to-door and no carrying of luggage is worth it.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Myer
The 5PM is on a Saturday. Still bad traffic?
Might. I drove back from Liege via Brussels to Rotterdam a couple of times and had bad traffic around Brussels at that hour even on a sunday.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:09 PM

5 pm on a Saturday should be OK, but to be sure check the traffic on an app such as Waze, and leave earlier if necessary.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

We're staying very. very close to Central Station. We stayed in the same square (different hotel) years ago but it appears the station has been rebuilt/renovated/enlarged or whatever as there was no entrance into the square before. We walked to the station on cobble-stoned sidewalks then.

Does anybody know how long a walk it is from the station entrance in Carrefour de L'Europe to the trains?
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Sorry, I thought you meant the regular licensed taxis. But obviously Uber should be less pricey.
If they are still legal in Brussels, which I have no clue of.

I've been using that exit through Gallery Horta (small deserted mall) directly to Carrefour de l'Europe or back to the station many times.
The walk was 5 minutes from tracks to Carrefour de l'Europe (or maybe even less).
But it's been a few years since last time. Not sure if the exit or the gallery are still open.
So you better wait for some more recent local expertise.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 07:07 PM

5 pm on a monday should be nice, but to be sure check the traffic on an app such as Waze, and leave earlier if necessary.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Myer
We're staying very. very close to Central Station. We stayed in the same square (different hotel) years ago but it appears the station has been rebuilt/renovated/enlarged or whatever as there was no entrance into the square before. We walked to the station on cobble-stoned sidewalks then.

Does anybody know how long a walk it is from the station entrance in Carrefour de L'Europe to the trains?
5 minutes. Check your train's platform on the big board, immediately to your left over the ticket windows as you enter the big main entrance. Would advise against Galerie Horta, as it has been under renovation now for some time, and the gallery is randomly closed off as work progresses. The big, main entrance exits on Carrefour de l'Europe.

That's the main entrance. There are numerous ways in and out of Central Station, but stick to the main entrance and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Our hotel is just on the opposite side of the square. So if the tracks are 5 minutes from there that should be very smooth.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 02:28 PM

Good grief, my brain must have been running in neutral.. Carrefour de l'Europe is directly at the main exit/entrance of Central (just as menachem pointed out).
What I had in mind was the beginning of Grasmarkt where the Novotel, NH or Ibis are located. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy1968
Good grief, my brain must have been running in neutral.. Carrefour de l'Europe is directly at the main exit/entrance of Central (just as menachem pointed out).
What I had in mind was the beginning of Grasmarkt where the Novotel, NH or Ibis are located. Sorry for the confusion.
For Grasmarkt, Galerie Horta is excellent.