Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tix cost to Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tix-cost-to-germany-439787/)

mrpack Jun 6th, 2004 09:15 PM

Tix cost to Germany

I plan to visit Germany on 13th Oct - 17th Oct 2004. Being my 1st time, the tix cost me $750 to Frankfurt. I am visiting Nuremburg.

Question 1. What is the best way to travel from Frankfurt to NUE?

Question 2: Is 750 a good rate for that time of the year?

Question 3. Should I buy the tix now or wait till after summer?

Thanks in advance.

rkkwan Jun 6th, 2004 09:51 PM

1. There are about hourly trains from Frankfurt Airport (not city center) to Nuremburg, takes just over 2 hours. That should be your best choice.

2. Where are you flying from? It's not a good price from New York, as you can get fares of about $579 with AA/BA via London, or non-stop for $639 on Singapore Airlines. For other cities, $750 may be an okay deal.

3. I'd wait a little, as these prices aren't particularly good for mid-October travel.

BTilke Jun 6th, 2004 11:43 PM

Check for prices into other German airports. From time to time, there are specials for flights to/from Dusseldorf.
From FRA, there are regular trains to Nuremberg, by far the easiest way to get into the city. The Nuremberg train station is right across from the old town. There are several hotels within walking distance of the train station.
Wait. We're getting into high summer so rates, even for after summer fares, will be higher.

Singletail Jun 7th, 2004 03:44 AM

Also check for open jas fares...try flying into Amsterdam and out of Frankfurt, also.

mrpack Jun 7th, 2004 02:36 PM

Pl. explain what is "open jas fare"? Thank you.

Flyboy Jun 7th, 2004 02:42 PM

It's a typo. The correct term is "open jaws", which means flying to one airport to begin your trip and back home from another airport at your journey's conclusion.

mrpack Jun 7th, 2004 02:47 PM

what are the best ways to look for open jaws tickets? Also, are there any fare trackers available coz, it'd be impossible for me to surf all sites regularly.
Also, most people advised me to wait but what is the ideal time to buy tickets for October travel? Thanks.

Airlawgirl Jun 7th, 2004 02:54 PM

mrpack: your tkt. price of $750 is a bit high for the middle of Oct. from the JFK/PHL/DCA area-however air fares to Europe are generally a bit higher this year. I would advise waiting until after Labor Day to see if any fare sales come up. I usually buy my Europe tickets for middle to late fall travel a couple of weeks before I go.

rex Jun 7th, 2004 03:46 PM

Tickets from where? Good from Guayaguil; not at all good from Belfast.

Best wishes,

Rex

mrpack Jun 8th, 2004 02:15 PM

From NYC/NJ, USA to Frankfurt, Germany.

Also, while going through Fodors & other guides at B&N yesterday, I found out that Munich is only 157 km while Frankfurt is 225 km.

Should I buy a plane ticket to Munich instead?

What is the quick & inexpensive way to travel from MUC to NEU or FRA to NEU? Bus or train or something else?

what is the best train company to travel I read that there are several train companies in Germany.

AAA gave me a price of approx US$95 - 2nd class / $135 - 1st class from FRA to NEU roundtrip. Is that reasonable or is it like AMTRAK [more expensive than flying]?

Pl. advice. Thank you.

mrpack Jun 13th, 2004 08:52 AM

anyone willing to help me?

rkkwan Jun 13th, 2004 10:14 AM

Even if Munich is closer, FRA is the airport you want to fly to for two reasons:

- The train to Nuremburg leaves from the Frankfurt Airport. You don't need to transfer. So, it's faster than going from MUC.

- Many more flights and airlines to choose from. All major US airlines, Lufthansa & Singapore flies from NY/NJ to FRA. Not so for Munich.

There's only one train company that does long-distance train in Germany, the government-owned Deutsch Bahn. It's website is www.bahn.de, and has all train information and you can buy tickets online directly from the site.

Thomas_Milligan Jun 13th, 2004 10:26 AM

Although there exist some private railways in Germany the bulk of the network, and certainly what you will be travelling on, is the Deutsche Bahn (http://www.bahn.de).

Munich is nearer to Nuremberg than Frankfurt, but since you can get a direct train from the Frankfurt Airport to Nuremberg, whereas from the Munich Airport you have to take the S-Bahn (commuter railway) into the city and then change, the time is less from Frankfurt. As to cost, from Munich Airport to Nuremberg the fare is only one euro less (42 versus 43) on the fastest trains.

Also fewer flights from North American go to Munich, and therefore your chances of finding a better deal on the fare are diminished.

There is an airport in Nuremberg (NUE) and you could try putting it into a fare search and see what you get.

As to how you find open jaw flights, on Orbitz you click on "Expand search options"; on Travelocity it is "Multiple Destinations." Most fare search engines have something similar.

clingerj Jun 13th, 2004 02:36 PM

Try LTU Airlines. We went last year in October and paid nearly half of your ticket.

Shanna Jun 13th, 2004 06:21 PM

Hi - your airfare seems high. I paid $400 in 2001 (granted that was some time ago) for a departure of October 22. I made the reservations on September 10, the day before the attacks. So it was only a few weeks before departure at a time when everyone was still traveling, innocent lambs that we were. But since I was traveling alone and making reservations for a hotel in a small town, I had a great deal of flexibility. I checked the hotel's availability first, then found the flight. It took a bit of faxing back and forth but it allowed me to take the best fare. If your dates don't need to be firm, I'd wait. Have a good trip whatever you decide.

Sallie27 Jun 22nd, 2004 06:32 PM

I live in Indianapolis and just bought a ticket to Frankfurt for 10/18/04 - got a price of $535 total - from NYC, you could probably get a much better deal. Try Northwest's website...

auntgrapes Jun 22nd, 2004 06:47 PM

My suggestion is to hold off a while as that fare is high. Are you checking NYC/Newark/Philadelphia airports ? Also check AutoEurope/Virgin Vacations/Swiss Airline etc. I feel certain you will find a better deal. I have never paid that much, no matter when I travel.

lvk Jun 22nd, 2004 07:22 PM

I also think you should hold off for a better deal. Subscribe to the farewatchers on Travelocity/Expedia & Orbitz and they will email you when any airline has a promotion on that route.

We fly from LAX to Munich at least once or twice a year, and have paid more than $600 only once and that was on less than 14 days notice for a family emergency. ($650 on Cheaptickets.com)

LTU is a low-budget option. I'm pretty sure you have to book with them directly. Based on our past experience with their service, I wouldn't use them unless they are way, way cheaper than the other airlines.

JN Jun 23rd, 2004 05:05 AM

Orbitz lists flights for as little as $568. American from JFK to London and then Lufthansa to FRA on the 12th, then Lufthansa-American back on the 17th. The nice thing about American is that they fly Boeing 777s with "More room throughout" Economy seating. The 2"-4" of extra legroom is great.

321sister Jun 27th, 2004 07:36 AM

I think you can do better at travel zoo.com $450 or so + good luck