Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tivoli, Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:10 AM
aj

Is it possible to see this area and it's sights in one day trip out of Rome? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Certainly managable, aj. <BR>A lot of sightseeing companies offers this tour, and I think twice a day. <BR>We booked it from the hotel, with a hotel pickup/returnal. <BR>Tour started around 2, home at 7. <BR>Very nice. Guide was essential, especially at Hadrian's. <BR>Price around 30 USD, as I recall from -99. <BR>Wish you a nice trip, <BR>Bjorn

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Carey

I took a tour to both of those places with Scale Reale. You must go to the Villa D'Este. It is quite impressive! <BR> <BR>Check scala reale out at: <BR>www.scalareale.com <BR> <BR>you can go on a semi-private tour. Carey

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Steve

Hello AJ, <BR> <BR>Yes, easily. You can also do this by bus if you prefer to travel independantly. My advice would be to do Villa Adriana first. The bus service from Villa Adriana up to Tivoli/Villa d'Este is not that frequent, - be sure to check the times with the driver! <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Patrick

We did it all independently by bus. We went to Tivoli first and did Villa d'este in the morning. We walked around the town and had a great lunch in a garden setting. Then we took another bus to Hadrian's villa, spent several hours there in the afternoon pretty thouroughly covering it, and returned to Rome by bus before dark. I don't have the bus numbers in front of me, but it is very easy to do and not depend upon the timing of a tour group.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Dianne

Which of the villas would you recommend to someone who was only going to visit one?

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Carey

Dianne, <BR> <BR>Definately Villa D'Este. If you have been to Pompeii, then the ruins of Villa Adriana will not impress you. Most of the Villa is in Ruins. But I think you will find that the Villa D'Este's fountains are AWESOME! and not to be missed.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Walter

Steve: I disagree with you on the buses although I could be wrong. If the small orange #4x bus that goes from the Piazza Garibaldi in Tivoli to Hadrain's Villa "X" number of times per day, it also must return the same number of times. Or did you take a blue "Cotral" bus to Hadrain's Villa and then another Cotral bus to Tivoli which I believe are less frequent? This is what I did in Nov99. Metro "B" to Rebibbia (last stop), cross the street and take the Cotral bus (45min) to Tivoli (Piazza Garibaldi), the Villa d'Este is ~300m away which I didn't visit, Piazza Garibaldi to Hadrain's Villa on the orange #4x bus (10min) which drops you right outside the gate, after the visit catch the Cotral bus right outside the gate back to either the Metro stop or Rome. Regards, Walter

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Walter

Steve: Sorry, Duh, my fault, I _somehow_ misread and misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that the buses from Hadrain's Villa to Tivoli were *less* frequent than the ones from Tivoli to Hadrain's Villa on the *same* bus route. Thanks, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Tina

- <BR>aj: <BR> <BR>If you're only doing one, then I'd suggest Villa D'Este. It's quite lovely. <BR> <BR>Hadrian's Villa is very interesting, however you really do need a guide or go there with a day tour as it's ruins and you benefit from their explanations in order to truly get a sense of the place. <BR> <BR>As have several others, I visited both sites as part of a packaged tour --- I don't remember which company I used, it was several years ago. But many of them (American Express, etc.) offer a day trip in which they take you out to Tivoli on a bus and walk you through both Villa D'Este & Hadrian's Villa. <BR> <BR>I've not used the Scala Reale company, but have seen many folks on this website recommend their services. <BR>