Tivoli Lisboa Hotel Has an Attitude Problem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently stayed at the overpriced Tivoli Lisboa from June 12 until the 23rd, 2006. It has a few bright spots but as a whole is as sour as the grumbling pulp fiction reading matron in control of the overpriced lobby shop. Drinks at the renowned dusty bar? $15 for a Scotch on the rocks.

Tivoli Lisboa, well located on the Avenida Liberdade has an attitude problem. Except for the three regular breakfast servers, the chef at breakfast and the excellent pool attendants, this hotel has the scowl of a sour bankers widow owning a pension and trying to squeeze the last cent out of it.

The front desk is arrogant and unconcerned with anything but their own importance. The cashier has only 10 euros change for the holidays when everything is closed outside and change is a genuine courtesy.

The desk man on duty when I checked out, full of luggage, in the early morning would not let me get a taxi but hailed a comrade from up the street who on arrival at the airport demanded 22Euros ( $30 ) plus a 5 euro tip. I told him to go to hell and paid him the highest guaranteed rate of 15 euros. A taxi is 6.80Euros. The desk guy at the Tivoli and this pimp were obviously in cahoots. This is the general attitude at the Tivoli.

The concierge , a position I had assumed from 400 trips to Europe was supposed to be helpful, was dour and actually lied about getting reservations upstairs at the under booked Terrace Restaurant!..He also openly quarreled with more knowledgeable and helpful youths at the hotel. This goateed heavy glasses nemesis was as sour as the shopkeeper and desk people.

Do not use the Tivoli. It reminds me of an old rundown mafia hotel of the 1970s in New York.

Stay at the Ritz up the street for the same money or a boutique hotel but....

STAY AWAY FROM THE SOUR AND INEFFICIENT AND UNCARING TIVOLI LISBOA
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Have you already posted your comments at Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com)? It would be helpful as many people check that site for former guests' comments about hotels located around the world.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:14 AM

It is truly terrible that you would have such a horrible experience in what is supposed to be a top notch hotel in Lisbon.

At the level that this hotel is rated, one would expect excellent service.

There are many hotels in Lisbon that would be glad for your business. I hope it did not put you off what can be a lovely city.

Thanks for the warning, but this hotel is out of our price range luckily for us it would seem.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad stay. We loved it! The people were all great, the outdoor pool is a fantastic oasis and the terrace is magnificent. And it was cheap. Yes the restaurant is expensive but why eat at a hotel when you have hundreds of restaurants nearby?Ditto for the lobby shop.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM

You should hear what the staff said <b>about you</b> last week!