Titlis (Luzern) or Jungfrau (BO)?

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titlis (Luzern) or Jungfrau (BO)?

I've decided to abandon my original plan or riding the scenic train routes around Switzerland. Instead, I've decided that the swiss alps or any snow is my ideal Swiss vacation as my kids have never seen snow before and have been begging me forever to see it.

We have 4 days from Milan, 2 for travelling back and forth and so basically we have 2 full days in Switzerland.

My ideal itinerary would be
Day 1 Milan to Interlaken
Day 2 Jungfrau
Day 3 Interlaken to Luzern then on the way to do Titlis
Day 4 back to Milan

I realize that I need another day to travel from Interlaken to Luzern which I don't - otherwise I'm cramming too much in these few days. (is it doable though? i'm still hoping!)

Anyways, I've decided not to do an overkill and choose between the two. Jungfrau seems to be the prime choice but really any chance of playing in the snow will do. I have noted though that those snow disks are closed in mid-October in the Jungfrau while the glacier park in Titlis is open almost all year round. And for the extra time we are there, would it be more interesting to tour the BO region or Luzern?

Also, in the event of bad weather or just cloudy weather, are tourists still allowed to go out to play on the glacier park/plateau for both Titlis and Jungfrau?

Should I be looking at the Swiss pass? How do I buy the Swiss family travel card - is it in conjunction with the Swiss pass or Swiss card? I can buy either the pass or the card from here www.raileurope.com.sg but while the family travel card is mentioned, there seems to be no way or purchasing it from the website.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just do the Jungfraujoch.

I've been to Titlis in October and the snowpark was closed. You will definitely have snow on the Jungfraujoch all year round.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:55 AM
tn

Zizz,

If you are looking for two snow/mountain experiences, you could also consider visiting Schilthorn, which is near Jungfrau. Schilthorn has one pop culture connection in that a James Bond film was shot there. You could take a brief hike down from the platform to have some contact with the snow. I have not been here in October, but have been in June and August, and there was snow on this mountain.

You should also consider staying higher up in Lauterbrunnen. The ride up to Jungfrau from Interlaken is long, and this will cut about an hour off of the trip each way. Also, you should arrive in Lauterbrunnen at a decent hour, even if you leave in the late morning from Milan.

They will not close the mountains for fog. However, you wont be able to see anything -- and the views are incredible. There is no guarantee on the weather, as you know. If all you really want to do is be in the snow, then go up. We try to have a variety of both rain related and nice weather activities.

Depending on the age of your kids, there is a great mountain hike called the North Face Trail you can take. You depart from Murren and return to Murren. We have taken our kids on it twice, the first time when they were 4, 6, and 13. In addition to great scenery, there is a great mountain Alphut where you can stop for real milk shakes, cheese and sandwiches. It takes about four hours (for us, anyway) roundtrip. Also, at the start of the trail, just up the funicular from Murren, is a great restaurant to fortify yourself before the real work begins.

Depending on your situation with the kids, you may not have time to do this if you do both mountains. The day you visit Jungfrau, that is all you will do. The departure for Schilthorn is from Murren, and you could, depending on your energy level that day, do both the mountain and this trail.

Finally, I think you will want the Swiss family travel card. This is a great deal. It is always the first thing we buy when we get to Switzerland. Others may have better ways, but we show up at the train station when we arrive, tell the agent what we will be doing and ask their advice about what to get. Both times, we have gotten the family travel card. It is probably worth getting it just for the discounts to Jungfrau.

Have fun. From the moment you enter Switzerland on the train from Milan, your kids will be amazed by the mountains and waterfalls. Its a great trip.

TN
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Should I be looking at the Swiss pass? How do I buy the Swiss family travel card - is it in conjunction with the Swiss pass or Swiss card? I can buy either the pass or the card from here www.raileurope.com.sg but while the family travel card is mentioned, there seems to be no way or purchasing it from the website>

the free Family Pass automatically comes with the Swiss Pass so kids under 16 always travel free - even on things like Titlis where the Swiss Pass only gives 50% off - kids go free always - even up the Jungfraujoch where Swiss Passes cover most of the trek from Interlaken in full but just 25% off the last segment - Kleine Scheidegg to the summit at Jungfraujoch. For any RailEurope product i always advise calling the helpful folks at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - from who i have bought railpasses for years and can attest to their personal service by phone and will answer any questions like you have. I would strongly look at the 4-consecutive-day Swiss Saverpass which would cover all your travels in Switzerland to the Italian border - except trains to mountain tops like Titlis where you get 50% off as this is not a regular form of transportation - Swiss Passes cover 100% travel between any towns whether by train, boat, bus, etc but only to towns - to mountain tops 50% off on most. Check out www.swisstravelsystem.com for links to scenic trains, boats, mountain tops, etc.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Was the Titlis snow park closed due to bad weather in October?

Pal, thanks for pointing those things out. Now I understand the passes - I think. Just one more question on this: can I use the pass on the train ride from Milan to Switzerland and back? I thought it was just within Switzerland?
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM

No - often things in Switzerlnda are closd in October or November for renovation - since it's the slow period between summer visitor and winter sports enthusiasts. Many acabe cares et are closed at this time as well.

As for Jungfrau you can ascend any day - but if the weather is bad and the top of the mountain in clouds you can see only a couple of feet in front of you. Not sure how much fun snow would beunder those conditions. (We waited until our 3rd day in Interlake - in June - before we got a clear day to ascend. The views were gorgeous and the snow was - snow (but then we get it every winter). they did have sled dog rides and a ski school open.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Just one more question on this: can I use the pass on the train ride from Milan to Switzerland and back? I thought it was just within Switzerland?>

No - the pass would only take you to the Italian border - from there on you would have to have bought a ticket for the Swiss border to Milan (if coming from Interlaken/Jungfrau region border point would be Brig i believe) at the departure station in Switzerland to cover the Italian portion - not a whole lot because it's not that far to Milan from Swiss border and Italian trains are still cheaper than Swiss trains.

So you would take your Swiss Pass up to the ticket window in say Interlaken-Ost station and explain that you want a ticket from the Swiss border to Milan (and same returning - in Milan you buy a ticket Milan to Brig, after which your Swiss Pass once again takes over. For convenience buy a round trip Brig to Milan ticket in Interlaken - not sure that is possible but ask.