Neuschwanstein - worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2016, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will spending a few days in Munich at the end of April, and I am wondering if it´s worth it to take a day trip to Neuschwanstein and the other castles in the area. I love castles, but I have heard this one is a bit underwhelming. Thoughts?
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 04:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The exterior is the truly iconic part; the interior is not NEARLY as interesting, IMO, as some of the other builds. The palace at Herrenchiemsee is the largest of the builds and the interior mimics, and in some cases (the Hall of Mirrors, for example) is even bigger than the palace's "inspiration."

For interior decoration even the Resdienze in Munich itself is more impressive than Neuschwanstein.

Have you considered visiting the Linderhof or the Nymphenburg?
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 04:50 AM

It's quite a schlep from Munich, and after all it's a "revival" (read faux) castle, which doesn't mean it's not worth seeing, just that it's not the real thing. It's an impressive and complex place designed and executed by a recluse. I was impressed upon first sight, but it's not something that stands out in memory. I would vastly have preferred seeing the ruins of the original Schwanstein castle.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 04:53 AM

I have been there but the lines were so long, it was snowing and I opted out. My husband has been and he said it wasn't worth it. Linderhof grounds were beautiful and you could stop at Ettal and Oberammergau on the way.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 05:16 AM

I saw it 30 years ago and I still have the image inprinted in my memory. I loved seeing i from a distance.

I loved Hohenschwangau that we saw the same day.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 05:18 AM

It is not a "castle" - but a palace built by mad king ludwig in the 1860s - and IMHO a waste of time beyond a quick view of the outside. If you want to see an interesting palace have a look at the palace of Linderhof and it's grounds - very interesting.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 05:30 AM

Long trek for a 30 minute tour. Visit Nymphenburg in Munich where there's MUCH more to see and learn. King Ludwig II was born there.

https://www.nuernbergluftbild.de/ima...K06050311d.jpg

https://toflirtwithlife.files.wordpr.../dsc_01051.jpg

http://www.schloss-nymphenburg.de/en...alace/tour.htm
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 06:06 AM

Just to be clear, a rail trip from Munich takes about two hours one way. You then have to travel a bit further to get to Neuschwanstein itself. If you agree that the trip is a "long trek" it is understandable.

OTOH, the trip by rail to Prien (for Herrenchiemsee) takes about one hour each way BUT you have to make your way from the station to the ferry dock at nearby Stock and then take the ferry across the lake to the island itself. This latter location is an extremely popular one amongst German tourists in particular.

The Residenze and the Nyumphenburg are both within Munich itself and depending on your hotel location you can walk or take a tram (to Nymphenburg, partgicularly).
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 06:38 AM

It depends on what you are after.

If you are a photographer AND you are there in the morning AND if go up to the Marienbrücke, then you might have a chance at a dreamy picture of Neuschwanstein. Google search "Neuschwanstein cloud images." The interior requires a trip down from Marienbrücke or up hill from the bus stop and join a tour. It is quite uninteresting. Feels like what you might see in amusement park castles. If you make a trek there, you should add Hohenschwangau Castle practically next to Neuschwanstein.

Linderhof can be done in one day. You have to take the first train+bus combination that gets you there around the opening time to make this practical. There is a cave in the premise where you have to make a reservation at the ticket window to join a tour. We were at the ticket booth about 6 min before the next tour and hustled uphill to get there in time. It is a small castle, but the interior feels real, not artificial. Lindehof is an estate with many buildings and fountains. You can add Ettal and Oberammergau for lunch. Ettal is an option, but Oberammergau is not as you have to change between the train and the bus there.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 08:17 AM
ira

Hi mea,

Our favorite of Ludwig's palaces was Linderhof.

http://www.tompgalvin.com/places/de/..._linderhof.htm

Old Mar 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Neuschwanstein is not a "faux castle". The castle in Disneyland is faux.

Neuschwanstein was built in 1869 in style that was common in Europe in that time. We call it "romantic style" or "historicism". Linderhof was built in the same period, also in historicist style.

The building and the setting are magical - at any time of the day. Also, the interiors are magnificent, although the decoration is quite opulent.

But, as others have said, the train trip is quite long. I would rather recommend renting a car for a daytrip. In addition to Neuschwanstein, you can see the Wieskirche (a masterpiece of baroque style), Linderhof and some Alpen scenery. You can even go up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain, from Garmisch. It would be a most rewarding daytrip.

If you are restricted to the train, visit at least castle Hohenschwangau near Neuschwanstein to see a real old castle.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 11:35 AM

I have been to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein and enjoyed both but we had a car and could move around easily and see other sights. There are some great photo opportunities there but Bavaria is full of great shots.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 12:39 PM

Sorry, but IMO NONE of the others are as "opulently" decorated as Herrenchiemsee.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I enjoyed visiting Neuschwanstein.

Here's a link to a virtual tour on their website. Take a look at it and decide whether you want to visit in person:

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisc...ce/vor_og3.htm
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We didn't care for Neuschwanstein. The interior decor was out of Wagner's operas.We were sorry we wasted time and money on it. The other palaces mentioned above were worthwhile.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 03:50 PM

I visited Neuschwanstein as a teenager and was awed by it. It's a good one to tick off your bucket list because it's just SO famous -- every time you see a Germany calendar you're likely to smile and say, "Yep, been there."

As an adult, I wouldn't mind going back to the see exterior and try for one of those iconic images, but I doubt I'd pay admission to tour the inside a second time.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 08:17 PM

I am not a fan of organized tours but on a recent visit to Munich an accompanying nephew wanted to see Neuschwantsein so we did a Gray Line tour that included a stop in Oberammergau, a visit to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. A full day but it was easier than renting a car and driving (which I have done on other trips.)