Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tips for traveling alone and (safely) meeting others? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tips-for-traveling-alone-and-safely-meeting-others-907886/)

joon7th Oct 2nd, 2011 07:18 AM

Tips for traveling alone and (safely) meeting others?

Hello all,

I leave Tuesday for 13 glorious days in Italy! I am traveling on my own and quite looking forward to being able to roam as I please without consulting anyone else. That being said, I am a bit of an extrovert and wouldn't mind meeting locals and other tourists along the way (though I don't speak a lot of Italian--ok, pretty much none). Any other independent travelers have good advice?

Thanks in advance!

laurie_ann Oct 2nd, 2011 07:24 AM

Many cities in Europe have English language conversation clubs. They typically meet in a cafe or pub. Often a mix of locals, expats, tourists. Google to see.

november_moon Oct 2nd, 2011 03:27 PM

I've found that biking and walking tours are a fun way to meet other people.

sarge56 Oct 2nd, 2011 03:34 PM

joon7th - Many restaurants in Italy serve "family style" meals where you will be seated at a communal table with other diners. These are a great way to meet locals and other tourists. :) Ask your hotel staff to suggest some of these establishments.

Have a wonderful time! Just take the same precautions you would at home. If you feel something isn't right, listen to your instincts. You'll be fine!

Buon viaggio!

PS (Hint: always have a business card from your hotel in your possession. If you need to taxi home from anywhere, you can just hand the card to your cabdriver. When I stay at an apt, I do the same thing. I print off a few copies of the address before I leave US, and keep them in my possession.)

Andrew Oct 2nd, 2011 05:17 PM

You don't say where you're going in Italy, but the big tourist spots are flooded with Americans, also plenty of Aussies and New Zealanders. I traveled alone for a few days there last week (Pisa, Lucca, and the Cinque Terre) and met numerous tourists on the trains and buses, and I'm hardly an extrovert. I didn't find any dinner companions on this trip but I have done that before, shouldn't be too hard. Start chatting with some tourists you meet and hint somehow that you are alone for dinner, and I would expect an invitation pretty easily. Many people seemed impressed that I was traveling alone.

joon7th Oct 2nd, 2011 05:45 PM

This is all great advice. Thanks everyone!

nytraveler Oct 2nd, 2011 07:04 PM

I often take a few extradays before or after business trips tomajor tourist cities andhave found several methods that work/rules:

I often sign up for shortwalking tour with a specific interest and may fall into conversation with others and decide to have a meal together

The same is true of sitting in the hotel lobby (I always do large full-service hotels) and reading an English language book or magazine

I sometimesmeet other single travelers in hotel breakfast rooms

The rules- no men alone,either another single woman or a couple of 2 women trveling together (I have found some men just do not get "acquaintance")

I try to judge the level of travel expereince of the other people - since some newbies just want a tour guide and tend to get very clingy - as well as overly anxious

Metricu Oct 2nd, 2011 07:10 PM

you must be alert and caution when meeting a stranger.