Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

tips for Opera in Paris: affordable tickets?

Mar 11th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Before our last visit to Paris I set my alarm clock for the middle of the night, months in advance, hoping to snag some of the less expensive tickets when they first went on sale. By the time it was my turn in queue, as near as I could figure out the only ones left were the more expensive.

Now, looking at tickets in June for either Opera Bastille or Garnier, but I see nothing left for less than 180 euros each. Any tips on seeing opera there mid summer, not necessarily in one of those two halls (though that would be nice)?
Mar 12th, 2015, 04:57 AM

A friend registered on their website -- not simple -- and was able to book online at the £120 level. I get their online announcements since I followed his example and registered, and though I haven't been fortunate enough to go, I think I would pay something less exorbitant than your £180.

When we went to the Opera Bastille, once the official time of the performance passed, the audience were invited to move into any empty seats, including those in the front and center and along the aisles. Then the overture began. The seats were decidedly not reserved for the purchaser to occupy at the interval. You might book cheap in the hope of moving, but we were hearing "Luisa Miller" and it probably wouldn't work for "Traviata!"
Mar 12th, 2015, 07:46 AM

Hi. Do you speak French? If so, have you tried buying tickets from FNAC? I bought tickets for everything there. You can try this link and narrow it down per your specifications.

http://www.fnacspectacles.com/mdr/re...=MANIFESTATION

Here is the English version of the site:
http://www.fnactickets.com/recherche...99372673614196
Mar 12th, 2015, 07:50 AM

Okay, I narrowed down the French site some more for June:
http://www.fnacspectacles.com/mdr/re...=MANIFESTATION
Mar 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Ack, thanks. €180 is a lot more than I'm willing to pay, especially since it would be for 3 or 4 of us. (Even one such ticket is more than my total annual opera budget, if I were the kind of person who devised an opera budget. ) I'd be happy to book cheap and stay put behind a pillar even.

papillon, thank you! I can certainly read French well enough for the website. Will try that. I never thought of FNAC. I wish I could see the open air La Traviata in Fontainebleau, but our visit there is way too early.
Mar 12th, 2015, 11:17 AM

You're welcome. I hope you're able to find something affordable. I was able to see an opera in Paris and it was very interesting, even if I didn't really follow the story.
Mar 12th, 2015, 11:22 AM

FNAC is a commercial business so expect a service charge on tickets purchased.
Grand Opera costs a lot to stage and tickets reflect the expense. The only "bargains" I have found were in Budapest and Berlin, thanks to state subsidies, and I notice Berlin prices seem to have risen sharply since I was there four years ago.
One small consolation is to take a tour of the Bastille or Garnier theatres. The former is a slick, cold theatrical machine; the latter is memorably lavish, especially since it was completely restored a few years ago. Tour schedules are intermittent, run either by the theatre or private tourism.
You will notice that the "visit" page on the official site https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/ is not working at the moment.
Occasional opera concerts or full productions sneak into other venues so watch the various events calenders. The Chatelet Theatre, near Les Halles, is particularly ambitious and I see an Offenbach opera, or operetta, called La Belle Hélène playing there in June. I strongly advise buying seats on the main floor. The tiers of balconies look glamorous but the sight-lines can be uncomfortable. https://billetterie.chatelet-theatre...ctId=410961435
Mar 12th, 2015, 12:07 PM

If you are quick and don't mind waiting, you can get tickets to the opera for five euros: http://www.paris-friendly.fr/bon_pla...lle.php?id=537
Mar 12th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I know it's an expensive habit, Southam. I hoped there'd be enough high rollers to subsidize in exhange for prestigious seating. Far up and to the side, leaning over or standing as at Royal Opera House Upper or Lower Slips, or similar at Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center, is what I had in mind.

Wow, that's great, Kerouac. Do you happen to know whether foreign, non-EU, young people would qualify for the last minute tickets?
Mar 12th, 2015, 06:01 PM

I don't think you need to be European. I got cheap tickets to the Opera an hour before the performance at the theatre in Chatelet and I'm not European. Here's more info about it:
http://www.parischeapskate.com/2013/...a-tickets.html
Mar 13th, 2015, 07:23 AM

All it takes to get a 5 euro ticket is the capability of waiting in line for at least 2 hours. When I was young, I used to do it for what was then the 10 franc tickets.
Mar 13th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks, papillon and kerouac.
Mar 13th, 2015, 10:01 AM

FNAC doesn't give discounts, so not sure why that's better than the venue's website. They do have a service charge but it's not much.

I don't understand the problem, I just went onto the POB website and tried one date, June 10th (Magic Flute), and had no problem at all getting a 100 euro seat. I'm sure other dates are available, also.
Mar 13th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Christina,

Thank you for your interest. There is no problem, though.
Definitions of "affordable" vary.

The FNAC website is nice because it lists various events including opera.